Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ayreon - The Source 5.1 DD DVDV
source.jpg

There's quite a bit of love for Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds on this site - I've been purchasing their DVD-audio discs and re-experiencing all the albums I listened to during the ´´80's, 90's and 00's in their 5.1 remastered glory. However, one of their greatest albums, The Skeleton Tree (2016), doesn't have a surround mix - unless you buy the UK blu ray of the documentary of the making of the album - One More Time With Feeling. You get all the songs, more or less as they are recorded in the studio. But as the film is two hours long, there is also an exploration of what was going on during the making of the album. Nick Cave's son, Arthur, who tragically died the year before the album was recorded, is an integral part of the album and documentary.

The film starts in a disorderly, unfocused and uncoordinated manner, as the director and Nick Cave seem to be trying to find out what they were doing. It's a relief when the first song of the album, Jesus Alone, pours out in a splendid DTS 5.1 mix. Then the film gets more interesting, as we see the creative process involved in composing the songs. And suddenly the naked grief that Nick Cave and his family are experiencing, is pushed to the fore and confronted. The songs become almost unbearably moving. The final song before the end credits, by Nick Cave's two sons, is shattering. A really profound experience.

71YjintMXiL._SL1500_.jpg

There's quite a bit of love for Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds on this site - I've been purchasing their DVD-audio discs and re-experiencing all the albums I listened to during the ´´80's, 90's and 00's in their 5.1 remastered glory. However, one of their greatest albums, The Skeleton Tree (2016), doesn't have a surround mix - unless you buy the UK blu ray of the documentary of the making of the album - One More Time With Feeling. You get all the songs, more or less as they are recorded in the studio. But as the film is two hours long, there is also an exploration of what was going on during the making of the album. Nick Cave's son, Arthur, who tragically died the year before the album was recorded, is an integral part of the album and documentary.

The film starts in a disorderly, unfocused and uncoordinated manner, as the director and Nick Cave seem to be trying to find out what they were doing. It's a relief when the first song of the album, Jesus Alone, pours out in a splendid DTS 5.1 mix. Then the film gets more interesting, as we see the creative process involved in composing the songs. And suddenly the naked grief that Nick Cave and his family are experiencing, is pushed to the fore and confronted. The songs become almost unbearably moving. The final song before the end credits, by Nick Cave's two sons, is shattering. A really profound experience.

View attachment 65705

I have the 3D version and it does add some additional 'depth!'

61ToRw6%2BUXL._SL1200_.jpg

Kinobe - Versebridgechorus? (SACD)
Now, this release is two decades old, yet given the surround scene circumstances it still feels fresh and contemporary.
Interestingly, the closing song Unfair Weather can serve as a glimpse of what a Radiohead production could sound like in 5.1.
IMG_20210409_102751.jpg

QQ poll, currently with 6 votes.
https://www.discogs.com/Kinobe-Versebridgechorus/release/323792

A little Electro/Synth Pop today by "Young Americans Challenging High Technology "
It's a Dolby Atmos title also, but I just combined the sides to the rears in MMH for a 7.1 to 5.1 and boosted the rears about 1db (because I wanted to give my rears a little bustier!)

CHAIN TRIPPING by YACHT.jpg

My Actual scanned cover...

CHAIN TRIPPING YACHT.jpg

Back