Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Sanborn TIME AGAIN [VERVE/MLP DVD~A 5.1/96/24] Soulful SAX, Superb 5.1 remix

See the source image

See the source image

Well, Galvany Street plays fine in the OPPO BDP-93. I noticed I’ve been having a problem lately with a couple of other discs in the UDP-205 and those discs play okay in the BDP-93. I played Galvany Street before in the UDP-205 with no problem but I’m beginning to think the transport is starting to have a problem reading certain discs.

Well, Galvany Street plays fine in the OPPO BDP-93. I noticed I’ve been having a problem lately with a couple of other discs in the UDP-205 and those discs play okay in the BDP-93. I played Galvany Street before in the UDP-205 with no problem but I’m beginning to think the transport is starting to have a problem reading certain discs.

Interesting Perp. Lately when I insert a BD~V or UHD4K disc into my 205 it doesn't immediately read the disc and I have to stop it and start it again and then it's fine. I also have a 93 [a work horse, indeed] and it plays all my discs with no hiccups even ones that gave my 105 problems.

Bucky Pizzarelli SWING LIVE [Chesky Records/MLP DVD~A 4.0/96/24] A rare Chesky DVD~A and the title says it ALL. It SWINGS!

See the source image

I still have to reconfigure the speaker system to try this Chesky's 6.0.

Central goes to Left Side and LFE goes to Right Side. I would use the Wides for the Sides and Surround Backs for the Rears. Need also an additional amp for the LFE signal., I would use the second unused channel of my mixer/amp for dialog lift. Not Chesky perfect, but it is the best aproximation in my room.

I don't know if it is worth the effort.
If we regret that there are very few Auro-3D titles, how much can we find from Chesky 6.0?

I still have to reconfigure the speaker system to try this Chesky's 6.0.

Central goes to Left Side and LFE goes to Right Side. I would use the Wides for the Sides and Surround Backs for the Rears. Need also an additional amp for the LFE signal., I would use the second unused channel of my mixer/amp for dialog lift. Not Chesky perfect, but it is the best aproximation in my room.

I don't know if it is worth the effort.
If we regret that there are very few Auro-3D titles, how much can we find from Chesky 6.0?

Probably NOT worth the effort because IMO, except for one rare Chesky surround album which does contain discrete surround elements*, 99.9% of Chesky DVD~A/SACD surround discs are ambient only ......including Swing LIVE!

I Ching: Of The Marsh & The Moon
Discrete Surround
SACD

Chesky SACD265
Stereo/Multichannel Hybrid
World

Probably NOT worth the effort because IMO, except for one rare Chesky surround album which does contain discrete surround elements, 99.9% of Chesky DVD~A/SACD surround discs are ambient only ......including this one!
Ah you beat me to my question Ralphie!!
As I know Chesky's attempt at mixing in surround is weak to say the least.
For a minute I thought one had escaped their grubby mits and actually released a reasonable surround mix!!

Ah you beat me to my question Ralphie!!
As I know Chesky's attempt at mixing in surround is weak to say the least.
For a minute I thought one had escaped their grubby mits and actually released a reasonable surround mix!!

I CHING, Mike and IMO, it's worth seeking out. IMO, although David Chesky utilized his rears for ambience, turn up those puppies and be amazed at the audiophile nature of his recording 'methods!' Most of his SACDs are encoded at very low levels and need a VOLUME BOOST to fully BLOOM!

Back