Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up with AC/DC with Bon Scott and could't get used to the voice of Brian Johnson (great guy by the way) at first but that album grew on me too, it's great but just like High Voltage more. There's also the raw sound of the older AC/DC albums that I prefer over their later albums.

It's interesting topic. To be quite honest, back in the 70's...I just wasn't familiar with AC/DC or Bon Scott. I remember towards the end of my sophomore year of high school, which is when the new and improved GOS emerged (party animal), I began to hear some rumblings about the song Highway To Hell...though I just had no history with AC/DC and well...my folks were super religious back then and there was no way I would be able to buy that album, or play that song in our house.

Then, when Back In Black was released, apparently AC/DC were making a HUGE push to tour every state in the US....as that was first time I saw them during BIB tour in Horton Field House, Normal, IL. AC/DC during 1980/1981 were a HUGE, HUGE band for us at our parties....and everyone who was anybody had BIB playing in their car. It was larger than life I think. :) Still, I was not even familiar with the story of Bon Scott....but once I got out of high school, I came to realize that all these older albums were AMAZING!!! But with a different singer. For me, the rest of the story is history as I obviously pursued buying every damn AC/DC I could find with Scott....

The dvda is a completely different thing, it is loud but sounds good and the surroundmix is awesome, Gene if you like Linking Park go for it, it won't dissapoint you.

Good. I'm glad I'm not losing my mind. We thought it sounded really good. Not crankable to top-shelf SACD standards, but we had it thundering and it sounded nice, no fatigue.

Back in Black was my "go to" AC/DC album:spot

Here's my take on AC/DC...

Like GOS, BiB was a dominant album during my formative years (though it had been around a while).
And it's great. It's just that every subsequent AC/DC album feels almost exactly the same, but with less magic. I guess Razors Edge is ok.
But the Bon Scott albums are more of an adventure. It is mostly simple, heavy blues type hard rock, but there still is a kind of variety. And the comparatively raw sound is a bonus too. Just my $0.02.

It's interesting topic. To be quite honest, back in the 70's...I just wasn't familiar with AC/DC or Bon Scott. I remember towards the end of my sophomore year of high school, which is when the new and improved GOS emerged (party animal), I began to hear some rumblings about the song Highway To Hell...though I just had no history with AC/DC and well...my folks were super religious back then and there was no way I would be able to buy that album, or play that song in our house.

Then, when Back In Black was released, apparently AC/DC were making a HUGE push to tour every state in the US....as that was first time I saw them during BIB tour in Horton Field House, Normal, IL. AC/DC during 1980/1981 were a HUGE, HUGE band for us at our parties....and everyone who was anybody had BIB playing in their car. It was larger than life I think. :) Still, I was not even familiar with the story of Bon Scott....but once I got out of high school, I came to realize that all these older albums were AMAZING!!! But with a different singer. For me, the rest of the story is history as I obviously pursued buying every damn AC/DC I could find with Scott....

Kinda crazy that Bon Scott literally drank himself to death...choked on his own vomit while passed out in his car...the British had a charming way of saying this.."death by misadventure"...or alcohol poisoning...it really didn't matter to me who was singing in AC/DC..it was the beat...that pounding pulsing sound that I loved...the vocals took a back seat to that "sound"...it had that classic rock upbeat driving sound that I loved...

Kinda crazy that Bon Scott literally drank himself to death...choked on his own vomit while passed out in his car...the British had a charming way of saying this.."death by misadventure"...or alcohol poisoning...it really didn't matter to me who was singing in AC/DC..it was the beat...that pounding pulsing sound that I loved...the vocals took a back seat to that "sound"...it had that classic rock upbeat driving sound that I loved...

It's the complete picture with vocals and all that made the feel and sound of the early acdc. It's a vibe or a feeling... dunno but that never came back after Bon Scott died.

Seen both versions of the band, Bon had presence and energy to him that made the concert(s) real cool, Brian not so much. Glad I got to see AC/DC version 1

A long time ago I saw a concert by AC DC at a large movie theatre in Times Square. I don't remember the title off hand but it was advertised as recorded in Mega Sound or something. Very loud but not painful. You could feel the music as well as hear it. One of the best sounding rock movies I ever heard in a movie theatre.

A long time ago I saw a concert by AC DC at a large movie theatre in Times Square. I don't remember the title off hand but it was advertised as recorded in Mega Sound or something. Very loud but not painful. You could feel the music as well as hear it. One of the best sounding rock movies I ever heard in a movie theatre.

It was Let There Be Rock...the movie...it featured massive speakers...

[video=youtube;RfNU7BdbOgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfNU7BdbOgU[/video]

Isn't he lovely.. what a voice.. the songs are so strong.. I just love this record.

No dope, nope.. but these old Quads are more addictive than crack, so that even's things out :eek:

Adam, sounds like you have your system up and running. Wonder if AF will release any country QUAD SACDs?

BTW, how is Elton's new album?

My girlfriend for 36 years now loves this and it grew on me too, country-ish stuff, EoH upmix so quality is fine :)

35b846x.jpg

AC/DC- "Whole Lotta Rosie" Upmix... If I had to pick one AC/DC song to play for someone who had never heard them, this is it! (Not necesarily the upmix... stereo will do the job nicely!)

Back