Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Gene, he sure does remind me of Eric Burdon.

Too bad Abkco Records did not release any of his epic music on that lone Best of Animal's SACD when they had the chance back in 2003.

BTW If you want to hear a singers voice identical to Burdons check out "Alan Price" on the Siverline disc "The British Are Coming". No surprise that he was also in The Animals ! But he left and formed his own Band ,
-"The Alan Price Set"

View attachment 72188

Although NOT in surround, Fizzy....LOVE Alan Price's amazing soundtrack for the British Film O LUCKY MAN with Malcolm McDowell!

R.e37ebf44ebd947a6591a78825ea9940b

That Reel looks as if it's still sealed , Humphy , it looks in mint condition. Nice catch.
Did you keep the shrinkwrap intact ?

BTW Did you know "Spirit Of A New Land" Is available on Real Gone Music , IIRC both CD and LP , Sansui QS intact.

View attachment 72189

View attachment 72191

That's a nice one, fizzy. Adam's Apple, too. I took that quad reel photo from Discogs--I only have a conversion. Do have a couple of BJ CD reissues, though.

That's a nice one, fizzy. Adam's Apple, too. I took that quad reel photo from Discogs--I only have a conversion. Do have a couple of BJ CD reissues, though.

On their website they have 3 other Black Jazz QS CD and QS LP 's ,

plus Alice Coltrane's lone Warner Brothers QS album in a 3 CD set Of her only 3 Warner albums.
Interestingly enough all 3 of which , had Baker Bigsby/Ed Michel at the controls.

:unsure:

Elliott Carter, String Quartets Nos. 2 & 3. Juilliard String Quartet. (Columbia Masterworks SQ LP, 1974)

I was prompted to dig out this flawless Tate decode by UnderMyWheels (who is/was that guy?--were they ever a QQ member?) of a Ray Moore mix after reading a review in the Times of the new 16-CD set of the Juilliard's Early Columbia Recordings, 1949-1956. I probably won't give this repeated plays, but it's pretty amazing, as even the SQ LP has almost TACET-style channel separation. (Can't imagine what the Q8 sounds like!) These days you tend to think of the Juilliard as fusty and canon-oriented. But as the review reminded me: "When the Juilliard String Quartet was founded in 1946, a central part of its mission was to 'play new works with a reverence usually reserved for the classics,'" and consequently "[y]ou don’t encounter any music written before the 20th century . . . until Disc 13."

1633323157987.png

Elliott Carter, String Quartets Nos. 2 & 3. Juilliard String Quartet. (Columbia Masterworks SQ LP, 1974)

I was prompted to dig out this flawless Tate decode by UnderMyWheels (who is/was that guy?--were they ever a QQ member?) of a Ray Moore mix after reading a review in the Times of the new 16-CD set of the Juilliard's Early Columbia Recordings, 1949-1956. I probably won't give this repeated plays, but it's pretty amazing, as even the SQ LP has almost TACET-style channel separation. (Can't imagine what the Q8 sounds like!) These days you tend to think of the Juilliard as fusty and canon-oriented. But as the review reminded me: "When the Juilliard String Quartet was founded in 1946, a central part of its mission was to 'play new works with a reverence usually reserved for the classics,'" and consequently "[y]ou don’t encounter any music written before the 20th century . . . until Disc 13."

View attachment 72196

And hopefully NOT OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY for a PROPER Dutton EPOCH QUAD SACD transfer!

Finally, even though it's not most people's idea of bedtime listening: UnderMyWheels's QS LP conversion of Ornette Coleman's Crisis (Impulse!, 1971). The Penguin Guide refers to this as an "apocalyptic" set, but I wouldn't call it an essential entry in Coleman's catalog, even if it sports a line-up of Don Cherry, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, and a twelve-year-old(!) Denardo Coleman, and even if it includes an early version of Haden's "Song for Ché." I wouldn't really call this quad, either, at least not in any meaningful sense of the word. It was recorded live in 1969, and doubtless not with a potential quad mix in mind. But how else you gonna hear Ornette in surround, even if it's Quad In Name Only? (Columbia greenlighted plenty of other unlikely projects; why didn't they have Ray Moore tackle Science Fiction or Skies of America?)

1633327566228.png

Great conversion of a clean copy of this CD-4:

View attachment 72207

The sort of jazzy, bluesy fiddle playing you'd expect, in a highly discrete mix. Guest spots by illustrious Bay Area "friends" of the era (Grace Slick, Paul Kantner, Jorman Kaukonen, Carlos Santana, Gregg Rolie, Jerry Garcia...).

Another former RCA/GRUNT Quadradisc which would make an exceptional Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACD. Creach's version of OVER THE RAINBOW is a bona fide classic!

Last edited:

View attachment 72196
Woof, Elliott Carter. I forced myself to listen to his stuff as an undergraduate and I don't feel a need again. But definitely a cool disc and I'm sure it's cool to hear in surround.

Back