Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomita FIREBIRD [RCA/Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACD] An Amazing Ultra Discrete Journey via Michael J. Dutton's extraordinary 4.0 SACD remaster from the original analogue master tapes! Recorded in Japan in 1975

71RhtyqvHZL._AC_SL1429_.jpg

Last edited:
Hugo Montenegro LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER/Music From A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, ETC. [RCA/Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACD TWO~FER] You want DISCRETE? These albums were conceived from the ground up as SURROUND showcases in the inimitable style of Maestro Montenegro and his orchestra! A TOTAL BLAST!

81BazR0iEqL._AC_SL1208_.jpg

Last edited:
Music for jazz orchestra. Bob Brookmeyer and the (Dutch) New Art Orchestra, featuring trumpeter Till Brönner: Get Well Soon (Challenge Jazz SACD 5.1, 2003). Brookmeyer is sort of an undersung jazz legend and musical godfather to contemporary big-band luminaries like Maria Schneider and Darcy James Argue. (Here's a tribute from drummer John Hollenbeck, who plays on this album, and who is himself no slouch when it comes to writing and arranging for big band.) This is a gorgeous disc: great charts, sumptuous recording, immersive mix. I can't always tell if the horns and keys in the rears are truly discrete or just a partial doubling of elements of the front stereo field, though drums and solo instruments are definitely confined to the fronts. (Edit: definitely some front-to-back call-and-response between brass and reeds on a few tracks, and some division between higher- and lower-register horns on others.)

Brookmeyer did several albums for Challenge, but this was the only one with a 5.1 mix, sadly. Outstanding disc.

1633287251194.png

Last edited:
Marion Brown, Vista. (I'm listening to a SurroundMaster decode of the Japanese CD reissue, which retained the QS encoding.) QS, so...not terribly discrete. But still a good recording, and a solid Baker Bigsby mix.

Of the three Marion Brown quads on Impulse!, I like this one best. All of them fit under the "spiritual jazz" umbrella, but musically speaking, compared to Geechee Recollections and Sweet Earth Flying, this one leans more "modal" than "free." There's even a cover of Stevie Wonder's "Visions."

1633292784891.png

Gary Burton Quartet, Live in Tokyo (Atlantic, 1971). (Another SurroundMaster decode--this time of a rare Japanese QS LP.)

This really deserves to be more widely heard. Burton at a pivotal point in his career, with a touring quartet that included the versatile Tony Levin on bass. Showcasing tunes by Mike Gibbs and Steve Swallow, as well as one Burton original and a cover of Ellington's beautiful "African Flower." Stereo-pairs mix that makes you feel like you're in the midst of things on stage.

1633295822500.png

Robbie Williams ADVERTISING SPACE [Chrysalis/PAL DVD~V 5.1/LPCM 2.0] A very odd DVD 'EP' with three tracks and accompanying videos. Only Advertising Space is DD 5.1 and Don't Say No and Overture for Berlin are in LPCM Stereo. Sonics are excellent. Comes in a Super Audio CD Case

R.1fb5413446899e251f6b0e996f3b8f1a

Last edited:
Doug Carn with Jean Carn, Revelation (Black Jazz QR, 1973). I actually had a chance to compare two conversions--one from quad reel (one of the two or three Black Jazz quad reels, I think) and one from a Surround Master decode of a QS-encoded CD reissue. I'm having a hard time deciding between them: in principle the quad reel has better separation, but I gotta give it to the Surround Master, which does a pretty impressive job in that department. As for fidelity: you'd think the CD might have the edge, but to my ears it's a tie.

Of all the Black Jazz artists, Doug Carn is one of my favorites--more spiritual than "soul" jazz.

1633310404488.png

Last edited:
I’m so loving this!!! Lead singer’s delivery reminds me of Eric Burdon!!!! Excellent!!!

I know Gene, he sure does remind me of Eric Burdon.

Too bad Abkco Records did not release any of his epic music on that lone Best of Animal's SACD when they had the chance back in 2003.

BTW If you want to hear a singers voice identical to Burdons check out "Alan Price" on the Siverline disc "The British Are Coming". No surprise that he was also in The Animals ! But he left and formed his own Band ,
-"The Alan Price Set"

20211003_202802.jpg

Bill Withers : "Just As I Am"
(5.1 Dolby Audio; Apple TV; Apple Music Spatial Audio)

its kinda 'loud' in as much as you can't crank the volume.. but i'm enjoying it more than i remember the old DualDisc.. wonder if its the same mix and mastering? 🤔

View attachment 72135

"Still Bill" alright 👌😎

edit: its the same, after a few more tracks the sounds getting on my nerves just like the old DualDisc did, so i've had to stop it! 😂

Love that song of Bill Withers "Ain't No Sunshine" (when it rains) perfect blend of R&B &Blues.

Shit, double shit , it should be made available on a 5.1 physical disc , you know something silver , that used to be so very common.

How's it sound Fredderricco of Tampico ? ♡:)

Doug Carn with Jean Carn, Revelation (Black Jazz QR, 1973). I actually had a chance to compare two conversions--one from quad reel (was this the only Black Jazz quad reel?) and one from a Surround Master decode of a QS-encoded CD reissue. I'm having a hard time deciding between them: in principle the quad reel has better separation, but I gotta give it to the Surround Master, which does a pretty impressive job in that department. As for fidelity: you'd think the CD might have the edge, but to my ears it's a tie.

Of all the Black Jazz artists, Doug Carn is one of my favorites--more spiritual than "soul" jazz.

View attachment 72187
That Reel looks as if it's still sealed , Humphy , it looks in mint condition. Nice catch.
Did you keep the shrinkwrap intact ?

BTW Did you know "Spirit Of A New Land" Is available on Real Gone Music , IIRC both CD and LP , Sansui QS intact.

20211003_204458.jpg

20211003_204908.jpg

Back