Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockabilly artist but more of a great Rock n Blues style from the late J J Cale.
BTW Eric Clapton turned a couple of his Classics into hits and was one of his biggest fans .
Excellent performance with J J Cale and his Band .
At least according to this1979 recording , "Live In The Studio" surround mix" of J J Cale and his Band playing some of his best known tunes .

5.1 D. D. CD/DVD , with Leon Russell , at Russell's Paradise Studio.

Attachments

• 20210929_142615.jpg
    20210929_142615.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210929_142636.jpg
    20210929_142636.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 36
Listening to this one now. Not bad for a Siverline/Sanctuary DVDA

Gerry Rafferty , Can I Have My Money Back ?

Would just love for some label to mix in surround both his Rockin albums City To City , and Night Owl !!*🥳
View attachment 72406

IMO, Fizzy, this one sounds SUPERB in Stereo rather than Silverline's faux 5.1 surround. Excellent album, nonetheless!!

IMO, Fizzy, this one sounds SUPERB in Stereo rather than Silverline's faux 5.1 surround. Excellent album, nonetheless!!

Both stereo and 5.1 are a must I'd say , but I have heard some better by Silverline.

Nevertheless , Ralphie I really wanted to bring to attention that both Night Owl and City To City are in bad need of a Surround mix .
BTW I used to listen to both of them thru my Sansui QSD 2 , QS mode and I think they were quite nicely done as recordings from United Artists.

This was an album--and a duo--I'd never heard of before a friend offered me his conversion from quad reel: Hollins and Starr, Sidewalks Talking (Ovation, 1970). I did know that Dick Schory was an early adopter of quad. I'm not sure if the LP version of this album, which I haven't heard, used EV-4 or QS, although I guess those matrices were almost identical? Also don't know if the 2011 CD reissue retained the quad encoding in the way that Black Jazz CDs did. Anyway, this is sort of a period piece: noodly, jazzy, proto-proggy, psychedelic folk-rock with a self-consciously quaddy mix. And an abundance of classical flute. A little Donovan, a little ELP, a little Jeff Buckley. Hip factor: Google informs me that it was sampled by DJ Shadow.

1633822275498.png

This was an album--and a duo--I'd never heard of before a friend offered me his conversion from quad reel: Hollins and Starr, Sidewalks Talking (Ovation, 1970). I did know that Dick Schory was an early adopter of quad. I'm not sure if the LP version of this album, which I haven't heard, used EV-4 or QS, although I guess those matrices were almost identical? Also don't know if the 2011 CD reissue retained the quad encoding in the way that Black Jazz CDs did. Anyway, this is sort of a period piece: noodly, jazzy, proto-proggy, psychedelic folk-rock with a self-consciously quaddy mix. And an abundance of classical flute. A little Donovan, a little ELP, a little Jeff Buckley. Hip factor: Google informs me that it was sampled by DJ Shadow.

View attachment 72410

My L P is EV-4 , but Ovation did make QS albums . The big question is how many of their prior EV -4 albums got a new QS Encode.
🤷‍♂️

Hooverphonic, No More Sweet Music (DualDisc DTS 5.1, 2005). I think it might have been a recommendation from @steelydave that led me to this? I gather previous fans of the band weren't thrilled with the direction they took on this album, but it's all new to me, and I'm loving it. Two discs, with two different sets of mixes/arrangements of the same songs: More Sweet Music/No More Sweet Music. Discogs wants to call this "Trip-Hop" or "Electronic," but I don't think either of those shoes fits. Wikipedia suggests "dream pop," which seems more like it. Big, enveloping, cinematic mixes, though to be fair to Discogs, the remixes on Disc 2 might get me out onto the dancefloor if I were a few decades younger.

1633833024646.png

Two discs, with two different sets of mixes/arrangements of the same songs: More Sweet Music/No More Sweet Music.

Absolutely love this one as well! Ronald Prent's 5.1 mixes on both discs are up there with his best work. The back-and-forth bit in "My Child" with the echoed response vocal popping up directly behind your head is great. We really need a poll thread for this one.

The remixed versions on disc 2 are kind of a mixed bag for me though - some songs improve quite a bit ("Dirty Lenses" and "Wake Up" in particular drive a lot harder), but others fall flat ("Tomorrow" has the vocal a bit out-of-sync with the music and it just doesn't work). Glad to have it all in 5.1 nonetheless.

Absolutely love this one as well! Ronald Prent's 5.1 mixes on both discs are up there with his best work. The back-and-forth bit in "My Child" with the echoed response vocal popping up directly behind your head is great. We really need a poll thread for this one.

The remixed versions on disc 2 are kind of a mixed bag for me though - some songs improve quite a bit ("Dirty Lenses" and "Wake Up" in particular drive a lot harder), but others fall flat ("Tomorrow" has the vocal a bit out-of-sync with the music and it just doesn't work). Glad to have it all in 5.1 nonetheless.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/hooverphonic-no-more-sweet-music-dts-dualdisc.31274/

Back