Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at picking up a used copy of that disc but the reviews I read on QQ are not-so-good on the Mix.

It's a fantastic album, Perp. Agree with Markie. If you can find a copy, BUY IT. The Foos RULE! I also have the single disc MLP DVD~A [one of the very few produced by RCA/BMG before the SONY takeover].

Last edited:
I noticed there is a separate DVD-A and another with a CD/DVD combo. What’s the difference?
I have the DVD-A, so I don't know the difference. I will say this, of all the formats, DVD-A is my favorite in surround because, they are so rock/rough sounding, never bright or fancy, just full on music. Also most have pictures and lyrics, even stupid BD-A's that have twice as much room just give you the music only. If everything was released in DVD-A I would be happy. Why do you think SW likes DVD-A except when the company forces him to do BD-A.

I have the DVD-A, so I don't know the difference. I will say this, of all the formats, DVD-A is my favorite in surround because, they are so rock/rough sounding, never bright or fancy, just full on music. Also most have pictures and lyrics, even stupid BD-A's that have twice as much room just give you the music only. If everything was released in DVD-A I would be happy. Why do you think SW likes DVD-A except when the company forces him to do BD-A.

You said a mouthful. My very favorite format also. I could probably spend a month just watching the videos and extras contained on the MLP DVD~As and even those dual discs. BD~A could've been a contender but EVERY major conglomerate blew it by not taking advantage of the VAST real estate these BD~As contain as well as including High Definition Video.

You said a mouthful. My very favorite format also. I could probably spend a month just watching the videos and extras contained on the MLP DVD~As and even those dual discs. BD~A could've been a contender but EVERY major conglomerate blew it by not taking advantage of the VAST real estate these BD~As contain.
Remember Ralphie, 5-6 years ago, you and Brett, Fredblue, etc, taught me everything.

I noticed there is a separate DVD-A and another with a CD/DVD combo. What’s the difference?
Okay. I looked up the info on Wikipedia and it states that the DVD that comes packaged with the CD only has 3 videos in stereo or 5.1 but no indication that the full album is in Surround. So far, I can only loacate the DVD-A for as low as $45.00. That’s quite a bit more than I’m willing to pay. :(

Okay. I looked up the info on Wikipedia and it states that the DVD that comes packaged with the CD only has 3 videos in stereo or 5.1 but no indication that the full album is in Surround. So far, I can only loacate the DVD-A for as low as $45.00. That’s quite a bit more than I’m willing to pay. :(

Order two fewer pizzas from Dominos and you'll be able to swing it, Perp. The price can only go UP. Not too many copies were released.

Remember Ralphie, 5-6 years ago, you and Brett, Fredblue, etc, taught me everything.

Fredblue [Adam] is still the consummate authority on ALL THINGS SURROUND. I'm just an equipment HO! But I did manage to scoff up roughly 99% of all the MLP DVD~As [Stereo and Surround] and dual discs released when they were $12-15 each. And I recently sunk $2K into repairing my Meridian Reference DVD~A player ...... try to find one of those puppies, today?

Last edited:
Inxs - Kick (BD - Dolby Atmos Mix)

Early tonight, I found a setting deep inside the menu of my AVR while listening to the Atmos Mix Of Automatic For The People that was set to ‘On’, by default, which will compress anything played back in Dolby TrueHD/Atmos. I just had to play this disc to hear what I was missing. Believe me, you’ll want to make sure it’s set to off because it’s like using a late night listening mode in which it uses compression.

Back