Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
passion.jpg

BrUOTE="JanBakker, post: 407717, member: 9130"]Me toooo, great band, I have the song The Siren as my ringtone, I never grab for my phone when all those standard set phones ring :p:p

View attachment 37580[/QUOTE]

Brilliant Jan,
Strangely my disk does not show anything on the screen, when playing.
It plays fine..very odd.
And I've just ripped it today.
Which leads me on to the foobar screenshot..how is that achieved?..is it a separate plugin?

Many thanks Jan
Is there a better thread to start this convo..dont want to bore peeps with my steep learning curve here..😁

Sorry for the thread fart, but my man beerking needing help!
Study these also (Kal's the man!)
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/converting-mch-discs-101-overview.22384/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-93-minidsp-ripping-sacds-page-2

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/

turnstiles_sq.jpg

I finally got a chance to give this a careful listen from start to finish via my new Tate decoder. If you've read my old posts, you probably know I've been pushing hard for a discrete release of this title because the decoded SQ sounds weird and very atypical for a Columbia quad release. This is the best and most discrete decode of it I've heard it to date, and I think I finally get what's going on in the mix. In short, this is nothing like the quad mixes of Piano Man and Streetlife Serenade- those are extreme "four corner" mixes with lead instruments generally isolated in each rear speaker. This is a much more subtle quad, still very discrete but most of the music is upfront with occasional "pop-ups" or quick-focus points in the rears. I'd say the best mixes are "All You Want To Do Is Dance" and "Angry Young Man".

The vocals are always front center, and on my pressing tend to distort pretty badly on certain tracks ("I've Loved These Days" is nearly unlistenable, and "James" is also pretty rough). The drums are usually across the front, with one exception: "Angry Young Man" jams the entire kit in left rear. Brass and string parts are also in the rears, with the saxophone highlights very loud in left rear.

I still can't quite figure out the placement of the piano- it sounds like it's across the rears, but not isolated. It sort of stretches over the whole room. Sometimes it sounds like it's mostly in one rear speaker- "Summer, Highland Falls" has it primarily in left rear, while "New York State Of Mind" and "Miami 2017" have it more towards right rear. Now this may just be the SQ encode/decode screwing things up, but the Tate does not lie when it comes to instrument placement. It really does sound like the intention was to have it everywhere, but loudest in the rears. That's a really odd choice for a Columbia mix, especially considering that it was done so late in the game (1976) by one of their best and most experienced quad engineers (Don Young).

Some other mix observations:
  • "All You Want To Do is Dance" has this little backing vocal bit in the first verse ("oooh, la la la") that's isolated in the left rear and is SUPER LOUD. Like seriously, it really blasts out of that speaker. I dropped it a few dB. The sax solos in "New York State Of Mind" are also really hot in the mix.
  • "Angry Young Man"
    • The piano track during the section with vocals is missing entirely (!!)
    • At the end of the first vocal section, you can hear Billy sort of scat along to the keyboard part in the right rear. I guess the vocal track was left open.
  • The vocal bits at the end of "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" come from left rear.
  • The sax solo in "Summer, Highland Falls" is actually two harmonizing parts isolated in each rear speaker.
"New York State Of Mind" (featuring very loud sax solos):
NY State.jpg

"All You Want To Do Is Dance" (you can see the loud backing vocal bit):
All You Want To Do.jpg

"Angry Young Man":
Angry Young Man.jpg

"Summer, Highland Falls" (piano visually loudest in left rear on intro):
Summer Highland.jpg

So I'm still waiting for that discrete and distortion-less master tape, but with the Tate you get the idea...mostly.

Last edited:
Laura Nyro "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" AF Quad SACD... finally listening to this for the first time... frickin' awesome! Great discrete surround mix and fidelity, and I love the album! (I've never listened to anything by this woman before, but I know she's important because my wife lectures about her in her "History of Women in Rock" class). This one is getting an immediate replay tonight:)

Back