Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

I'm confused. I have been looking back at all the recent Live At Fillmore East posts. Surroundsound Man says:
"Great disc. Some bad edits though. I believe that mountain jam has one. It's like 5 inches of tape from the master
Was chopped. Enjoy it!" Mountain Jam is not on Live At Fillmore East, it is on Eat A Peach. I have the SACD surround and it sounds great?
In regards to the Blu Ray, most recent release, you cannot make a playlist that mirrors the original 1973 release from the Blu Ray. The BD is the actual shows as they where recorded by Tom Dowd.
What he did in order to release the 1973 recording was on some of the songs, took parts of songs within those BD recordings and created new songs for the 1973 release. This can be verified as to what songs he did that within the liner notes of the recent BD release.
I love the Eat A Peach surround SACD, but I do keep hoping for a Blu Ray release.
The recent blu-ray of Fillmore East does indeed have a Mountain Jam, March 13th, 1971 Second Show. 35:39 in length.

Full authoritative review mandatory, Clement! Can't wait to get the 2CD/DVD/BD~A 5.1 of A Scar Is Born!
Wow. It's seems as if I will do anything you ask of me! First, to skip my review and listen on your own:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lekLUHr0okAqbsTxhqE0cPIWLkQfNc908
Second, this really is the type of release that DESERVES a poll thread here. If you search for it, you will see that several of QQ's heaviest hitters have recommended this one (that's how I found it: thanks @fredblue and @GOS and @The Bright Side --sorry if I missed anyone!). This release can be found VERY reasonably (in fact, it is so inexpensive that I added 1/2 of the asking price on top as a thank you for keeping surround alive). Finally, it's a great album with a great mix, and having a poll thread might very well help sell more and support the artist:

https://abeautifulcurse.bandcamp.com/music
Third, full authoritative mandatory review: I chose the DTS 5.1 mix (DD also available). First track starts with multi-tracked ethereal female vocals behind. Driving beat (programming and keyboards) start up front. Single female vocal behind starts the lyric and then the band explodes up front (drums, bass, guitars, keyboards). Bass and drums behind and vocals now all around. The song is "On the Other Side," and I'm feeling it! The juxtaposition of vocals and the trippy beat work really well and then a driving metal guitar riff explodes up front--hell yeah! Band shows its range on this one and the track sucks me into the album. Things get eerie again at the end (programmed electronic burps/squawks and the ethereal voices) before the song morphs into track 2: "The Soul Divine," a showcase for frontman Kenny James who plays ALL the instruments (and contributes some vocals as well).This track has a very neo-prog vibe, keyboards carry a simple swelling tune and the singers (especially Savannah Kocher singing lead) emote. Some fun multichannel work with drums and backing vocals. Again, the song fades but tinkling dancing keys take us seamlessly into the next song, "A Lot Like Diamonds." Trip-hop-y, driving, lovely--"I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love again" indeed. Peep the video here:

https://abeautifulcurse.bandcamp.com/album/as-it-should-be-re-mastered
An abrupt shift to track four: "A Mind of Its Own," which begins with a powerful spoken-word piece before the bass kicks in and drives the song forward. Those ubiquitous female vocals (this track it's Elizabeth Rose and Loretta Southerland) up front carry the tune in between blasts of spoken word by Jeff Campbell, swelling keyboards and programming behind me. Nice menacing guitar takes over three-quarters of the way through and then the song slows down again for the final spoken-word coup. Another seamless segue into track five: "Tastes Like It Should." Very Tasty indeed! Six vocalists on this one! Swelling and swirling sweetly! Another programmed seamless meld to the next track, "This Is My House," house reflecting the driving electronic beat bursting from all speakers. Oh, Ima need to get up and dance to this won--Kenny James on skank guitar here (in addition to drums, keyboards, programming) with Brian Skeel on slide guitar and guitar effects, and let me tell you, those guitars affect! Nice use of the soundstage on this one as well. The whole album is wonderful, and with three songs left, I think you all should wonder full about what comes next. As with my last "Listening to Now" review, if this baby gets a poll thread, I'll finish the review. Stay Surrounded, Comrades! Whoa--the start of track seven . . .

"(I've Been) Searchin' So Long" for this one

1584328332835.png
Chicago Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits

I forgot to put it back in the ol' Quadio box last time I listened! Oo! My wife came out to listen to this one--after I turned it down a bit. I know she's just looking out for my aging ears, but . . . damn! Well, if the tradeoff is a slowdance with her, she can "Colour My World" anytime! Stay Surrounded, Comrades! "Wishing You Were Here" . . .

Last edited:
Back