Marantz SR5015 USB Port Use

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The56Kid

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
My cousin recently purchased an SR5015. I noticed it had a front USB port that appears to be capable of handling FLAC files and hires content. I sent him a couple of FLACs to test and he loaded them onto a 64GB zip drive but wasn’t able to play them. His on screen display shows that he can see the content on the USB drive but when a song is selected, a message indicating the AVR doesn’t support the format is displayed.

We then read that FAT32 or NFTS formatting is required. Tried that with the same results. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve yet to encounter an AVR that will accept multichannel via direct USB connection, it’s usually the Blu-Ray player that has this function.

My trusty old Sony STR-DN1080 AVR would allow both PCM and DSD 5.1 playback through it's USB input. Although not Atmos.

I've just upgraded to a newer Marantz amp [which is defo an audio upgrade], but alas USB inout is restricted to stereo. Thankfully there are other ways to get it play MCH files... :)

Good thread for me. I feel like I am in everything hell right now. Was on a 10 day road trip and on day 6 had to make a beeline from southern Utah (absolutely beautiful) back to CA cuz my wife caught Covid, 12 hour drive on Sunday, and of course me being in a car with her I woke up at 3:00 am this morning with the same but less symptoms than her. She is very sick and tested positive, I feel crappy but tested negative, maybe tomorrow I'll test positive?

Anyway, I am still having issues with the 5.1 Chinese decoder in car. First one played my formatted USB drives but no info on face and when I get out of car, and came back in it started on track 1 instead of the track I last listened to. Drove me crazy.
Now I bought a new Chinese one with better remote and screen, but for the life of me I cannot get it to play any version/format of MCH,
stereo yes, and decodes to 5.1, actually doesn't sound to bad but I know it is not the real thing. I even reformatted the FAT32 thumb drive to MBR, but no luck. I am giving up on the stuff from China direct, they are small and fit in glove box but that is it. Good news they are very cheap and the two that I will throw away now only cost about $325.00 both together.

This morning I must have looked at 50 5.1 A/V receiver's with USB slot in front, but all the directions say USB playback in all the formats, FLAC, DSD, etc only play back in two channel, so this thread verifies that.

Now I will start looking at small Blu Ray players with USB front slot. Hopefully I can find a small dimension one?
This Panasonic I have at home is good and I play via HDMI out. I think what I need for car which the Panasonic has is 6 channel RCA out, I have to look into that.
As always, I am open to suggestions.

Now I will start looking at small Blu Ray players with USB front slot. Hopefully I can find a small dimension one?
This Panasonic I have at home is good and I play via HDMI out. I think what I need for car which the Panasonic has is 6 channel RCA out, I have to look into that.
As always, I am open to suggestions.
I was about to suggest the relatively small & light Sony BDP-S6500 or similar, much revered here for ripping to USB.

But re-reading, I'm thrown by the RCA outs.
But if you're willing to keep the HDMI -> analog decoder, would that not be worth a try?

Anyway, hope you both feel better soon.

I was about to suggest the relatively small & light Sony BDP-S6500 or similar, much revered here for ripping to USB.

But re-reading, I'm thrown by the RCA outs.
But if you're willing to keep the HDMI -> analog decoder, would that not be worth a try?

Anyway, hope you both feel better soon.
Yeah, I have that little ripper. Because it is in a car I have everything set up, RCA speaker wires to each speaker, connected to two amps in the trunk. If I went HDMI I would have to start from zero and I just don't have it to do that, even on my best day. If I get a player with RCA outs (6 channel) then I can likely put it under passenger seat, and tie into the existing RCA's from under the door sill into the glove box. I also would need a remote that is RF so I don't have to point the remote to the Blu ray.
If I could wave the magic wand, I would like:
1. USB FLAC MCH all resolutions.
2. A view screen that I can detach and mount on center console to remote thru albums/artists/songs.
3. RF remote.
4. 6 RCA outs.
Like THIS ONE but it is $1390.00.

Back