Marillion - "Afraid of Sunlight" 4CD/Blu-Ray deluxe edition out November 1st

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the live DVDs and "Sound that can't be made" album.
I've never taken the plunge on StCBM. Any review of what's wrong with it?
I have my first two Marillion concerts blu-rays coming in the mail. Marbles in the park and some other one lol.
They were both well-rated on blu-ray.com and such. So, no opinion of his work yet.

I've never taken the plunge on StCBM. Any review of what's wrong with it?
I have my first two Marillion concerts blu-rays coming in the mail. Marbles in the park and some other one lol.
They were both well-rated on blu-ray.com and such. So, no opinion of his work yet.

I am only talking about the way the 5.1 mixes have been done, if you enjoy some ambiance mixes, that's what it is. However, those mixes sound very good including Marbles who is visually impressive. Just to say that you don't have much activity in the rears unless you buy the original "Marbles" DVD back in 2005, Oh yes Meegan and Hunter split the mixes work on that one...

I am only talking about the way the 5.1 mixes have been done, if you enjoy some ambiance mixes, that's what it is. However, those mixes sound very good including Marbles who is visually impressive. Just to say that you don't have much activity in the rears unless you buy the original "Marbles" DVD back in 2005, Oh yes Meegan and Hunter split the mixes work on that one...
Ambiance is fine for me with concerts, as that's standard. I love it when they're discrete, but that's a treat.
Has Hunter worked on any studio surround remixes that we know of? What is the original Marbles DVD? Marbles on the Road?

Ambiance is fine for me with concerts, as that's standard. I love it when they're discrete, but that's a treat.
Has Hunter worked on any studio surround remixes that we know of? What is the original Marbles DVD? Marbles on the Road?

I know the album STCBM. Yes Marbles on the Road is 5.1 Dolby Digital with some discrete activity, nothing spectacular, but more dynamic than any other live concerts from Marillion. I don,t know if Hunter has mixed in 5.1 the album "Fear"

I know the album STCBM. Yes Marbles on the Road is 5.1 Dolby Digital with some discrete activity, nothing spectacular, but more dynamic than any other live concerts from Marillion. I don,t know if Hunter has mixed in 5.1 the album "Fear"
There's some more apart from Sounds that can't be made:
- Four songs from Somewhere Else
- Radiation
- FEAR

The best of all the bunch is FEAR, so if you own that, it'll give you an idea of what to expect about the rest (mostly reverb on the rears and very few discrete moments). The only good thing I can say about his surround mixes is that they sound less crammed than the stereo ones.

There's some more apart from Sounds that can't be made:
- Four songs from Somewhere Else
- Radiation
- FEAR

The best of all the bunch is FEAR, so if you own that, it'll give you an idea of what to expect about the rest (mostly reverb on the rears and very few discrete moments). The only good thing I can say about his surround mixes is that they sound less crammed than the stereo ones.
I have the FEAR SACD and that's not how I'd describe it. Plenty of surround activity for me.

I have the FEAR SACD and that's not how I'd describe it. Plenty of surround activity for me.
Strange... I may need then to play it again. I listened to it twice and shelved the record until now, that's the way I remember it. My memories about the others are even worse, but if you want to listen to any "sample", just ask!

Strange... I may need then to play it again. I listened to it twice and shelved the record until now, that's the way I remember it. My memories about the others are even worse, but if you want to listen to any "sample", just ask!
Do you have the BD, DVD or SACD of FEAR? Yeah, it's not as aggressive as it could be. But I didn't find it to be mostly ambiance back there - actual music, even if some of it is also in the fronts. With occasional discrete parts. Kinda like James Guthrie, I guess...
I can tolerate FEAR and perhaps Hunter has improved over time!

Do you have the BD, DVD or SACD of FEAR? Yeah, it's not as aggressive as it could be. But I didn't find it to be mostly ambiance back there - actual music, even if some of it is also in the fronts. With occasional discrete parts. Kinda like James Guthrie, I guess...
I can tolerate FEAR and perhaps Hunter has improved over time!
You're right, I'm listening to "The Leavers" (DVD) right now. H's voice is isolated on the center speaker (at least at the beginning of the song, then it spreads to the fronts), guitars mostly on the fronts, drums fronts and rears and some isolated synths (and a xylophone?) on the rears. Better than I remembered, for sure, but nothing impressive. The kind of mix that makes you stand up and put your ear close to the speakers to hear what is
going on in the mix.
There are sections of the songs where the rears seem to have the same content as the fronts, but at less volume. Not sure about it yet...

You're right, I'm listening to "The Leavers" (DVD) right now. H's voice is isolated on the center speaker (at least at the beginning of the song, then it spreads to the fronts), guitars mostly on the fronts, drums fronts and rears and some isolated synths (and a xylophone?) on the rears. Better than I remembered, for sure, but nothing impressive. The kind of mix that makes you stand up and put your ear close to the speakers to hear what is
going on in the mix.
There are sections of the songs where the rears seem to have the same content as the fronts, but at less volume. Not sure about it yet...
Yes, that is very fair. Sure could have been better, but I feel it's better than the stereo, at least.

Hold on! We've got one AoS mixed by Hunter already! It's on the second Blu-ray of Breaking Records and it's the 2003 live version. Echoey drums, synths and guitar on the rears, plus special effects

I never heard a discrete 5.1 mixes from Michael Hunter, so will wait to see the first reviews because I could be disappointed again...

Same here, this one won't be a pre-order for me, sadly. I'll have to give it a listen before I buy, especially after getting burned with CaS.

Back