Marillion - "Afraid of Sunlight" 4CD/Blu-Ray deluxe edition out November 1st

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered yesterday from Marillion's official store. Long time Marillion fan and really looking forward to which one comes next, hopefully Script for Jester's tear.

Listening to the original CD of this album now. The track "Beyond You" is mono. I am real curious how it will be remixed into 5.1 surround.
I'm sure it was multitracked just like the rest of the album. I'm guessing it was mixed to mono on purpose for effect. Creating a surround mix should not be a problem.

I'm sure it was multitracked just like the rest of the album. I'm guessing it was mixed to mono on purpose for effect. Creating a surround mix should not be a problem.

That's probably true, but it's possible that Mr. Hunter has opted for a very narrow 5.1 presentation of that track in an attempt to be faithful to the original stereo mix. We shall see...

I'm gonna be really bummed if he doesn't spread out all the sampled voices in the beginning of "King" - it's such a 'made-for-surround' moment :)

Mr. Hunter will probably opt to create a non-discrete - big stereo mix on the whole album :cautious:
Hoping he proves me wrong but I have always been disappointed by his stabs at 5.1

I think the biggest trouble here is that non one in the band seems to be a proponent of surround and there is only a small part of the primary fan base that appreciates surround mixes.
No real demand = no real focus.

I just can't understand this as the majority of their music (with its layered effects) seems sooooooooo suited for surround.
More baffling is that relationships with known champions of surround haven't rubbed off on them.
Steve Wilson + Nick Davis + Simon Heyworth

I gotta believe it is someone on Universal's end thinking that a 5.1 mix helps with the sales of this re-release series.

Likewise, just pre~ordered from AmazonUK. With s/h $30. Checked out Deep Discount and the price is $52+! Bullmoose is $47.

And geez, if you think about it, the list price of a single Mono/Stereo SACD from either MoFi or Analogue Productions!!!!!

Last edited:
YES! I just received my email from Marillion's own Racket Records and my copy has shipped. £24.99 + £4.63 shipping to USA. = $39.94 USD with a signed print!
Fingers crossed that Hunter has finally figured out how to mix in surround. I am baffled that his past mixes have been so underwhelming given that I generally love his work in stereo.

Why oh why couldn't the label & Wilson figure out a way to get this done?? This album is easily in the band's top three albums with spectacular surround potential.
1: Marbles (we will likely never get a 5.1 here - let alone a SW mix - as the band was an independent by this time. And the band hasn't embraced the re-release thing like Tull, XTC, or KC)
2: AOS
3: Brave

YES! I just received my email from Marillion's own Racket Records and my copy has shipped. £24.99 + £4.63 shipping to USA. = $39.94 USD with a signed print!
Fingers crossed that Hunter has finally figured out how to mix in surround. I am baffled that his past mixes have been so underwhelming given that I generally love his work in stereo.

Why oh why couldn't the label & Wilson figure out a way to get this done?? This album is easily in the band's top three albums with spectacular surround potential.
1: Marbles (we will likely never get a 5.1 here - let alone a SW mix - as the band was an independent by this time. And the band hasn't embraced the re-release thing like Tull, XTC, or KC)
2: AOS
3: Brave
Same here.

Listening to the original CD of this album now. The track "Beyond You" is mono. I am real curious how it will be remixed into 5.1 surround.

It was. The stereo version was also put out on the second disc of the 1999 remaster.

Just checked my email and see mine has been shipped as well.

No mention of a signed print. Bummer, must have not been the first 4,000 to order.

So much good potential on this disc:
* Gazpacho: the inserted sound clips of OJ's Bronco Chase/ the Tyson VS La Motta Fight / Lennon's quote "I would find myself seeing hallucinatory images of my face changing and becoming cosmic and complete."

* Cannibal Surf Babe: The Beach Boys esc harmony has good potential in surround along with effects driven guitar solo. A left hand turn for the Hogarth Era Marillion. It's the Beach Boys meets surf punk with some slightly subliminal edgy undertones in the lyrics.

* Beautiful: One of the band's best ballad like songs accompanied by some very positive self worth messaging. There is a passage spoken in french that would sound awesome enveloping the entire surround field. It links the song with the previous track.

*Afraid of Sunrise: Lots of subtle instrumentation and effects to work with here.

*Out of This World: My favorite track on the album. A song that I think looks at the cost of chasing a passion of accomplishment against the damage that it can do to personal relationships. Awesome lyrics interwoven with sound clips of Donald Campell's tragic Bluebird crash.

* Afraid of Sunlight: Kind of like a sister song to Afraid of Sunrise.

*Beyond You: Now I don't what they are going to do here. The song is in mono to give it a Phil Spector 'Wall of Sound' production that builds through out the track.

* King: A song with lyrics that reflect on the negative costs of celebrity. The music and effects start veering into crazy ELP territory. A bit too chaotic for me but maybe a larger sound filed will help.

This album has some awesome bass work from Pete Tewavas' and I hope the mix doesn't bury it. It is his Chris Squire moment.
Sadly no legendary Steve Rothery guitar solos but I think the album shows how he was becoming to master subtle guitar greatness.

Back