Marillion - Misplaced Childhood in 5.1, Steven Wilson mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next question is: how many more of these Marillion sets do I need.
Reviews for SFAJT are mixed at best and the rest probably hard to find

Afraid of Sunlight might be worth a try if you like the music on it. The mix is more of an extended stereo thing with some discrete FX elements and atmospheric keyboards taking up most of the rears.

The mix certainly does not live up to the potential of the music but it does improve on the standard stereo mix.

Strangely, the most adventurous mix on the album is the reworked Beyond You which was presented in mono on the original album.

A definite switch of gears from Brave.
A bit more accessible.

Looks like it is still available from ImportCD.
It is unavailable on the band’s site.

Afraid of Sunlight might be worth a try if you like the music on it. The mix is more of an extended stereo thing with some discrete FX elements and atmospheric keyboards taking up most of the rears.

The mix certainly does not live up to the potential of the music but it does improve on the standard stereo mix.

Agree for the most part about it being a bit of a missed opportunity overall, but I loved how powerful "Out Of This World" came off in the 5.1 mix - especially the atmospheric ending section after the guitar solo. It has this really immersive '3-D' type-effect where you almost feel as if you're actually out there on the water after the crash. The synths build up all around the listener with the radio chatter coming from behind, and then H's vocal suddenly bursts forward from the center channel with striking clarity ("so we live you and I..."). I played around with upmixing the stereo and couldn't get anything close to this experience.

The synths build up all around the listener with the radio chatter coming from behind, and then H's vocal suddenly bursts forward from the center channel with striking clarity ("so we live you and I...").

'Out of This World' is one of my favorite Marillion songs (especially as you pointed out, this end passage). And then after that ending comes the really effective start to 'Afraid of Sunrise'. The music and words at the beginning of that song have always brought to me a sense that I was actually on a misty beach at sunrise. This band is so underrated.

This arrived the other day, going to give it a spin now.
30F4A938-D969-479D-BD75-EA819524980E.jpeg

Back