McCartney's "Rockshow" to be released on BD in June 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From the second disc site;

rockshow-bd.jpg

Rockshow, the 1980 concert film from the 1976 Wings Over America tour, featured thirty songs from the tour from the New York, Seattle and Los Angeles stands. Though it’s been released on VHS, Beta (yes, Beta!) and laserdisc, the upcoming DVD and BD releases from Eagle Rock Entertainment will mark its debut in those formats. Past home video releases have edited six songs from the original 125-minute length, resulting in a 102-minute running time. Seven songs were issued on DVD as part of the McCartney Years set, including “Rockshow,” one of the cut songs from the other home video issues.

The complete, full-length concert has been fully restored from the original 35mm film and also boasts restored and remastered sound, including a 5.1 surround mix for the first time. It arrives on June 10 in Europe and June 11 in North America.

Track listing;

1.Venus And Mars / Rock Show / Jet
2.Let Me Roll It
3.Spirits of Ancient Egypt
4.Medicine Jar
5.Maybe I’m Amazed
6.Call Me Back Again
7.Lady Madonna
8.The Long and Winding Road
9.Live and Let Die
10.Picasso’s Last Words
11.Richard Cory
12.Bluebird
13.I’ve Just Seen a Face
14.Blackbird
15.Yesterday
16.You Gave Me the Answer
17.Magneto and Titanium Man
18.Go Now
19.My Love
20.Listen To What The Man Said
21.Let ‘Em In
22.Time To Hide
23.Silly Love Songs
24.Beware My Love
25.Letting Go
26.Band on the Run
27.Hi Hi Hi
28.Soily

I was just wondering how easy is it to get replacement needles for those things.

O..
M..
G..!!!!

:yikes

I have been dreaming of this for YEARS..!!!!

THANK you so much for the info elmer (y)

Time for a :woopie

and a :wave

oh and go on then, a :51banana:

I was just wondering how easy is it to get replacement needles for those things.

Not sure if you were serious about this question, but if so, there is a company called CEDatum that sells new stylus and can also rebuilt your used stylus. I believe they only deal with RCA brand players. The link to their website is; http://cedatum.com/

Since I was there at the old Kingdome in Seattle when part of that concert was filmed, I will definitely pick up a copy of this one.

Just been watching this. It really is a 5.1 audio track (for the DTS), so I suppose I'll create a poll for it. However, it's not an audio spectacular, not that one would expect it to be because of it's age. It does sound real good though.

One thing that's a bit annoying, is that it's not the actual live as recorded audio. It's been futzed with, as you will notice if you actually watch the vocalists. There mouth movements are a bit "off", and the audio level of all of the vocals maintains the same level, even when they turn away from the mic. Even the guitar work when watched is "just a bit off" of the audio.

I get real nitpicky about stuff like this. It's like it's lip sync'd, but not. You know what I mean? Anyone else see this?

Just been watching this. It really is a 5.1 audio track (for the DTS), so I suppose I'll create a poll for it. However, it's not an audio spectacular, not that one would expect it to be because of it's age. It does sound real good though.

One thing that's a bit annoying, is that it's not the actual live as recorded audio. It's been futzed with, as you will notice if you actually watch the vocalists. There mouth movements are a bit "off", and the audio level of all of the vocals maintains the same level, even when they turn away from the mic. Even the guitar work when watched is "just a bit off" of the audio.

I get real nitpicky about stuff like this. It's like it's lip sync'd, but not. You know what I mean? Anyone else see this?

AFAIK this even happens on the Laserdisc...a lot of the vocals were out of tune ("Wings over America" had this done too)...
At least it is not up to the point of obsession that was the Steely Dan DVD, where EVERYTHING was recorded again ("Everything DID go" ;))

its always been like that afaik, stuff was re-recorded and dubbed after the fact for the movie. there were all sorts of issues about Denny's vocals not being upto snuff I'm sure I read.. I'll have a snoop around and see if I can find any articles to back that up.

In some of the press info it states that the Rockshow concert was entirely from the Seattle Kingdome performance. However, what you and others are describing clearly sounds like it was actually compiled from a combination of performances on the tour and the video shots were edited over other live audio performances. One of the reviews on Amazon stated, "On Jet Dennys wareing a jacket then a T shirt then back to the jacket and Pauls lips are not always singing what we are hearing . Denny also changes to 3 different bass guitars on one track later on in the film . So, it sounds like they may have selected the best audio performances from the live recordings and then pulled from video images from multiple concerts. Probably wanted more variety in the cutting, but it obviously led to some continuity issues as well as abundant lip flap.

teeny bit alluding to it here in wankipedia.. but I'm sure I've read more about the dubbing etc of the movie..

The music for what was to become Rockshow (and Wings Over the World) was produced by Chris Thomas and engineered by Phil McDonald during 1979. However, the processing of the Rockshow overdubs was obviously completed by the airdate of Wings Over the World, as these same performances were featured in both productions. Not all of the songs made it to the film in their entirety ("Medicine Jar" and "Letting Go" have been edited), and the song introductions did not always match the performance which followed. For example, several of the introductions came from the Seattle performance while the actual song was taken from a Los Angeles show: "Magneto & Titanium Man", "Spirits of Ancient Egypt", "Lady Madonna", "Let 'Em In", and "Soily". The introduction of the horn section was a composite as well with portions coming from Seattle and the final Los Angeles show.

Last edited:
This reviewer picks up on it on the new blu-ray..

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/06/paul-mccartney-and-wings-rockshow-dvd/

..but my bootleg DVD (got off fleabay years ago.. Shh..!) is the same, lip-sync overdub issues a-go-go! :mad:@:

Not sure of the accuracy of that reviewers information. He also states, "An unintentionally humorous 10 minute extra features some backstage shenanigans and fans waxing wildly ecstatic about what a great show it was in all of their early 80s clothes, hair, eyewear and makeup glory." The concert was shot in 76, so unless they filmed fans talking about their impression of the movie after it was released in 80, then he's off by a few years with his comment.

I think dr8track is right. I'm just now getting to the end of the disc, and there are clearly tunes that are totally "in sync", while others are off. It's not as bad as I originally thought, as it's the first couple of tunes that are really off.

Still, it's a great time travel trip back to when the original quad guys (like me) were young, and all of these tunes were actually current!! :mad:@:

The special effects have come a long way, with the strobe light effect of Live and Let Die in this film requiring a warning at the beginning of the disc!!

This Blu-Ray is well worth it musically AND historically.

Back