Michael Gordon, The Unchanging Sea

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
This forthcoming release on Cantaloupe was just announced today, and even though there's no indication in any of the advance publicity that the DVD includes a surround mix, I'm still hopeful, since both the orchestra (Seattle Symphony) and the recording engineer (Dmitriy Lipay) have produced some excellent surround recordings in recent years, including a Grammy winner.

This forthcoming release on Cantaloupe was just announced today, and even though there's no indication in any of the advance publicity that the DVD includes a surround mix, I'm still hopeful, since both the orchestra (Seattle Symphony) and the recording engineer (Dmitriy Lipay) have produced some excellent surround recordings in recent years, including a Grammy winner.

And according to the blurb, the Grammy category [Best Surround Audio Album] in 2019 will be 're~named' BEST IMMERSIVE AUDIO ALBUM. How cheeky!

Discrete Audio finally gets its due.

Here is the reply to my query (from the Cantaloupe label head):

We will have the recording available digitally in 24-bit/96k stereo, but unfortunately it has not been mixed in 5.1 surround. We had to allocate the entirety of our production budget to the recording itself, as well as to the authoring of Bill Morrison's film.

Surround mixing is an expensive process, and we don't always have access to that luxury — especially with physical sales continuing to shrink as streaming takes over nearly every aspect of the business. I still wish we could mix in 5.1 for every title we put out, but it's just not financially feasible.

That said, we're really proud of this project, and we expect it to be a beautiful package (finished product is shipping next week).

Sigh. I'll buy it anyway, but I was hoping against hope that, given their history, Seattle and Lipay might have been set up for recording in 5.1 by default.

Back