SPOTLIGHT Miles Davis - Live / Evil 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pictures?

Mine hasn't arrived yet. (along with my December DV order, but that's a common issue I am hearing, mostly the fault of USPS, not DV I am sure)

It would be funny if my January order arrived before the December order!

And the verdict is.....?

(Still on the fence, got Bitches Brew, which I finally gelled with in Quad, but Live-Evil has always been a bit challenging, at least in the stereo version)

I had a strange thing happen with my Amazon.co.jp order. I received an email from them a couple days ago that stated my credit card was not approved for the order 🈲. The C.C. was an Amazon U.S. C.C. and is in good standing (I'm sure.) So I wasn't sure if it was a hoax (some kind of fishing scam-they're getting very sophisticated these days in stealing your money, and I'm naturally suspicious anyway) so I went back to their site and placed another order with a different C.C. just to make sure.
So then, yesterday I get an email saying everything is Hunky Dory and they're shipping out my orders (both of them.) Well, we'll see what happens, but maybe I can do a some kind of give away here on the QQ :unsure:

I had a strange thing happen with my Amazon.co.jp order. I received an email from them a couple days ago that stated my credit card was not approved for the order 🈲. The C.C. was an Amazon U.S. C.C. and is in good standing (I'm sure.) So I wasn't sure if it was a hoax (some kind of fishing scam-they're getting very sophisticated these days in stealing your money, and I'm naturally suspicious anyway) so I went back to their site and placed another order with a different C.C. just to make sure.
So then, yesterday I get an email saying everything is Hunky Dory and they're shipping out my orders (both of them.) Well, we'll see what happens, but maybe I can do a some kind of give away here on the QQ :unsure:
I had the same thing happen, same time frame. I just re-entered the info and it was accepted. Should be at my door by the time I get home from work. This has always been another challenging album to listen to casually, but am looking forward to perhaps appreciating it more with the quad mix.

My personal photographer was busy cleaning off our driveway. However, here is a You Tube video of someone fondling Selim Sivad. It doesn't do it justice, since it won't come through as being a foil cover:

No pictures?

Mine hasn't arrived yet. (along with my December DV order, but that's a common issue I am hearing, mostly the fault of USPS, not DV I am sure)

It would be funny if my January order arrived before the December order!

I got mine today from Amazon Japan. While the sound is not as crisp and clean as Bitches Brew, the mix is hyper discreet. I can assure you'll get startled by Miles trumpet screaming suddenly behind you. I listened to it just once and not complete, and this is another winner. The compositions are more challenging than BB and require being in the very right mood for them.
I just can say one thing: keep them coming! I just can't get enough of these Miles SACDs

Comments? OK, I'll play:

1- Quad mix? Usual CBS "active mix." Discrete, more so than the 2 SQ, my most listened to copy.

2- Music? This is neither completely obtuse, nor as accessible as his Prestige and early Columbia stuff. It is 70's Miles, electric, occasionlly meandering. You neeed a few spins to fully appreciate what's going on. McLaughlin, Carter, DeJohnette, Hancock, Corea, Jarrett, Airto... A Who's Who of 70's jazz. From the first track, it promises to be in your face with energy and musicianship. Gary Bartz mentioned "band starting to gell" in his 1997 essay included in the booklet. And you hear that.

Half Live at the Cellar Door, half studio. this is a snapshot of 1970 Miles. Released in '71. Got my first copy, 2 SQ in '73.

Thanks to the folks at Slingerland Drums, I got to spend some time with Airto. Sadly, I never quizzed him on Miles. We were more focused on percussion and his many stories of "moosicians." Perhaps another time...

As mentioned earlier, I bought this on 2 SQ, Japan 2 CD, 2ch 2 SACD, 2 CD (Complete Columbia box), 6 CD Complete Cellar Door box and the Quad SACD. I've listened to this record many times, many formats.

I'd give this record a B or B+. One of his better albums, IF you dig his 70's stuff. And I do.

I had the pleasure of catching Miles live six times. Always great!

Likely, you have more questions than answers after reading my review. Just take some time to savor it. The complexities will reveal themselves. Easy Listening? "Quite the antethesis" -W.C. Fields

Several folks now have thus one in but not a lot of comments so far. Maybe it’s a complex album and tough one to wrap your ears around at first.

It’s a big event release right!

Last edited:
Comments? OK, I'll play:

1- Quad mix? Usual CBS "active mix." Discrete, more so than the 2 SQ, my most listened to copy.

2- Music? This is neither completely obtuse, nor as accessible as his Prestige and early Columbia stuff. It is 70's Miles, electric, occasionlly meandering. You neeed a few spins to fully appreciate what's going on. McLaughlin, Carter, DeJohnette, Hancock, Corea, Jarrett, Airto... A Who's Who of 70's jazz. From the first track, it promises to be in your face with energy and musicianship. Gary Bartz mentioned "band starting to gell" in his 1997 essay included in the booklet. And you hear that.

Half Live at the Cellar Door, half studio. this is a snapshot of 1970 Miles. Released in '71. Got my first copy, 2 SQ in '73.

Thanks to the folks at Slingerland Drums, I got to spend some time with Airto. Sadly, I never quizzed him on Miles. We were more focused on percussion and his many stories of "moosicians." Perhaps another time...

As mentioned earlier, I bought this on 2 SQ, Japan 2 CD, 2ch 2 SACD, 2 CD (Complete Columbia box), 6 CD Complete Cellar Door box and the Quad SACD. I've listened to this record many times, many formats.

I'd give this record a B or B+. One of his better albums, IF you dig his 70's stuff. And I do.

Likely, you have more questions than answers after reading my review. Just take some time to savor it. The complexities will reveal themselves. Easy Listening? "Quite the antethesis" -W.C. Fields
Too bad we didn’t get surround for some of his more “accessible” music. Miles went through many phases in his career. It’s important to point that out if you’re new to his music and only hear these Quad 70’s titles. You might find you like his later, more Pop oriented music like his interpretation of Cindy Lauper’s “Time After Time” on his “You’re Under Arrest”-SACD-Stereo; or this live album I like with Kenny Garrett :love:
https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Live-Around-The-World/release/4273898

Comments? OK, I'll play:

You saw Miles Davis 6 times, fantastic. I have the stereo SACD of Live Evil and will be ripping this 4.0 today and listening. I do have to admit this and Bitches Brew, Live at Fillmore, etc can be a little too much for me, to eccentric. I must say my favorite Miles Davis are the 60's traditional jazz releases, almost all on MOFI stereo SACD's. Will give this new 4.0 a open listen.

Last edited:
You saw Miles Davis 6 times, fantastic. I have the stereo SACD of Live Evil and will be ripping this 4.0 today and listening. I do have to admit this and Bitches Brew, Live at Fillmore, etc can be a little too much for me, to eccentric. I must say my favorite Miles Davis are the 60's traditional jazz releases, almost all on MOFI stereo SACD's. Will give this new 4.0 a open listen.
I’m much like you, though I must say I didn’t really “get” Bitches Brew until I heard the Quad version, the surround version of In A Silent Way is still one of my favs

Back