New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well he's entitled to his opinion, even if it's not one shared by some of us and other Quaddies elsewhere.

i'm not sure where Dutton Vocalion said the Airto/Deodato Live album on their 2-fer SACD was discrete? pretty sure on the disc packaging and on their website they said it was decoded? afaik the Airto/Fingers studio album on that 2-fer is discrete from the 4-ch masters and Airto/Deodato Live is not.

it is a shame he gets so heated about stuff sometimes and he showed his explosive side on QQ a few times over the years but he is passionate about Quad and doesn't do things by half measures, can't take that away from the guy.

i don't agree the SM is a "useless piece of plastic", a "piece of crap" and a "bloody awful box" but that's just one person's view and again if that's what he thinks well that's upto him.

its kinda sad people here are described as "QQ nobodys" but if that's how he feels well, again, imho that's upto him too! i'm sure we all have thicker skins and can let it go.

Actually I agree with OD on one thing ......."bloody awful box" .......fixing that! Note that bloody awful box cost us $50K plus the fees of the designer $10K.

Actually I agree with OD on one thing ......."bloody awful box" .......fixing that! Note that bloody awful box cost us $50K plus the fees of the designer $10K.

its cute looking in a way and at least its a nice and compact bloody awful box, which is a real boon when you're living in a bijou awful bloody shoebox like me where every square inch counts.. ok, the outer casing kinda feels a bit bloody awful and plasticky (imho) BUT its what the bloody awful box does that to me negates all that and however anybody else feels about its decoding prowess I have had more fun with that bloody awful box than just about any other bit of kit in 20+ years of fiddling about with surround sound stuff.. for that i am truly grateful and salute the HMS Involve and all who sail in her bloody awful box! hoorah! :QQlove

Well, OD seems so hung up on a "proper decode" of this-or-that encoding format that he fails to see why the SM is so appealing to quadders like me. I'm not really interested in a precise decode of QS or SQ or whatever other encoding - all I really want is an enveloping/immersive soundfield, whether it be decoded from a encoded signal or synthesized/contrived from non-encoded stereo.

So I'm very happy with my SM and I thank Chucky and whats-his-name daily for having taken the risk to produce this puppy.

John R

And in particular without all that faffing about with decoding scripts which will never be a real world solution for most people.
Will OD liberate his scripts and methodology when he retires the site?

I would buy from him a hardcover coffee table book with pictures of quad gear, the history of Quad gear and albums, the description and explanation of the scripts and a link to them. Are you listening OD?

Will OD liberate his scripts and methodology when he retires the site?

I would buy from him a hardcover coffee table book with pictures of quad gear, the history of Quad gear and albums, the description and explanation of the scripts and a link to them. Are you listening OD?

it would be very sad indeed if all that knowledge and expertise were not to be something future generations could draw upon (imho)..

Well, OD seems so hung up on a "proper decode" of this-or-that encoding format that he fails to see why the SM is so appealing to quadders like me. I'm not really interested in a precise decode of QS or SQ or whatever other encoding - all I really want is an enveloping/immersive soundfield, whether it be decoded from a encoded signal or synthesized/contrived from non-encoded stereo.

So I'm very happy with my SM and I thank Chucky and whats-his-name daily for having taken the risk to produce this puppy.

John R
Actually despite the waffle we are fully proper decode of QS and SQ, with the addition that we are fully tri band on both and incorporate many psychoacoustic factors not considered in the 70's

Actually despite the waffle we are fully proper decode of QS and SQ, with the addition that we are fully tri band on both and incorporate many psychoacoustic factors not considered in the 70's

Welcome to the Surround Master Bates Hotel, for Acoustic Psychos into psychoacoustics everywhere...!! o_O :eek::LOL:

4GgOYGZ.jpeg

Now you got me started on this "proper QS" decode thing.

A few years ago when OD was on the attack I arranged for the two attached tests to be conducted. It was done by my charming if overly tall son Max but he is quite unbiased and both a Physicist and (more recently) Mechanical Engineer. Have a read:

Attachments

• QS tests Feb 2013 R3.pdf
    368.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Surround Master Involve Proper.pdf
    612 KB · Views: 152
its kinda sad people here are described as "QQ nobodys" but if that's how he feels well, again, imho that's upto him too! i'm sure we all have thicker skins and can let it go.

no he said "QQ nobody's", odd that his self-diagnosed OCD didn't catch the incorrect usage of an apostrophe to pluralize, or the multiple times he used "your" instead of "you're".

;)

I've got a handful of OD's releases, including Desire, Piano Man and Ommadawn, but he does seem to rubbish this site an awful lot and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, then to announce you're not releasing your final two "special" releases? What a slap in the face to those that put up with your eccentricities.

no he said "QQ nobody's", odd that his self-diagnosed OCD didn't catch the incorrect usage of an apostrophe to pluralize, or the multiple times he used "your" instead of "you're".

;)

I've got a handful of OD's releases, including Desire, Piano Man and Ommadawn, but he does seem to rubbish this site an awful lot and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, then to announce you're not releasing your final two "special" releases? What a slap in the face to those that put up with your eccentricities.
I guess I can take the blame of him shutting down. I tried to engage him on his SM post and it started poorly and regressed from there (although he blocked a lot of my correspondence so the exchange seems one-sided at best). Mea Culpa, I have limited patience for pompous asses who's sense of importance exceeds their actual contributions (myself included, although I try to be honest about my strengths and weaknesses). If any scorn is to be reaped by this, I'll accept the consequences.

Back