New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to disappoint I only ever talk USD$ but happy to take it in Pound!!

We have approved the new schematic design and I will be inspecting the beginnings of the PCB design tomorrow. Chris is ordering the new mechanicals hopefully this week. Its really is happening! I want one myself.

Regards

Chucky

And .................

I have just been informed that for all QQ members who have an existing SM plastic case, the price will be

$445!!!!

Thanks! and sorry if this has been covered before, but does this mean we send in the old box for an upgrade to the new design? I though the new one was going to be similar to the mark up from a previous post. Either way I'm ready for it!!

Thanks! and sorry if this has been covered before, but does this mean we send in the old box for an upgrade to the new design? I though the new one was going to be similar to the mark up from a previous post. Either way I'm ready for it!!

Nup, you get to keep the old box!

I really want this for the enhanced form factor and control. But...
Shouldn't I wait for the preamp? I'm using an Oppo 105 directly into vintage amplifiers(bypassing their preamps).

From my understanding, the preamp will include all Version 2 Surround Master functions and more.

Help Chucky!

I really want this for the enhanced form factor and control. But...
Shouldn't I wait for the preamp? I'm using an Oppo 105 directly into vintage amplifiers(bypassing their preamps).

From my understanding, the preamp will include all Version 2 Surround Master functions and more.

Help Chucky!

Hi Karlkastner

For me I will get both as I already have a good preamp but just want all the fancy vectorscope and other displays and stuff like MM and MC all in one but do I NEED it - NO. So for the time being the metal box V2 will do.

The other aspect of the future super preamp is that it has all the more recent (in my opinion useless) stuff like HDMI, Bluetooth, optical and USB. But in reality its more of a preamp whereas the SM V2 is an add on accessory.

The issue will be time to market. Dave the Bitch (Overture) has nearly finished aspects of what will form the core of this preamp and is slowly getting there but you will be waiting say 1 year as we are continuously snowed under by side projects, interruptions and our solar battery company www.zenaji.com (we really do clobber the Tesla battery!!!)

So for me I really want the preamp but given time, I want the metal box SM as it really will be an update with better circuitry/ 4 layer pcb layout and functionality.

Now you really will be confused

Chucky

Last edited:
I already have a good preamp but just want all the fancy vectorscope and other displays

Hi Chucky,
then why not do another box in the same SM v2 form factor which just houses the display stuff - I'd buy an add on like this :
Scan023.jpg

There's an idea for you!

The LFE output is active in all modes except stereo pass through.

Hey Chucky: in post # 99, you advised that the LFE output is active in all modes except stereo pass through. In light of this, should not the mode positions for quad Involve and quad SQ that are shown as "4.0" actually be labeled as "4.1" ---- or not?

thanks - John R

Hey Chucky: in post # 99, you advised that the LFE output is active in all modes except stereo pass through. In light of this, should not the mode positions for quad Involve and quad SQ that are shown as "4.0" actually be labeled as "4.1" ---- or not?

thanks - John R

Probably, my raddled 60 year old brain needs to think about it. Issue is the .1 is there on all modes except stereo passthrough. Meaning it is available if you chose to use it (personally I think its a dumb idea that was brought about to shrink speaker size). Real HiFi nuts will use a full range speaker.

Dunno

Probably, my raddled 60 year old brain needs to think about it. Issue is the .1 is there on all modes except stereo passthrough. Meaning it is available if you chose to use it (personally I think its a dumb idea that was brought about to shrink speaker size). Real HiFi nuts will use a full range speaker.

Dunno

I'd keep quiet about the "4.1" thing, it only confuses the issue. If there happens to be an LFE output available for nominally 4 channel stuff then so be it - any one who is that interested will probably discover it for themselves. Like you, the whole LFE concept is an anathema to me anyway (and don't start me on the centre channel nonsense....)

Back