New Yes album "The Quest" out in October! (5.1 Blu-ray confirmed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Quest arrived this morning, the music is going to take some getting used to, I didn't immediatly warm to it. The surround mix is good, nothing spectacular but there's plenty going on. All tracks on CD1 & CD2 are mixed in surround on the Blu-ray.
View attachment 72050
I've just listened to the blu-ray surround mix for the first time. As far as the sound is concerned the (Steve Howe) production is excellent and the surround mix (on first listen) is pretty good, with much use of the rears. Brand new music in surround is always welcome.

For the music I need to listen a few times, but it is definitely growing on me. For Yes music it is gentle and mostly slow tempo. It won't be rated up there with the band's best albums, but definitely not the worst (see Heaven and Earth, Open Your Eyes, and most of the Rabin years).

Currently listening to the instrumental mixes on the blu-ray, and really enjoying this.

Has anyone found a multich streaming outlet for this one?
I only have Apple right now and there's no joy from them although the 2 ch
lossless sounds good. But this is one you got to hear in the 5.1 mix to make
any real judgements.
JMHO

The wife is out so I'm listening to the 5.1 mix again LOUD! I have to say that the surround mix is really really very good indeed, I'm loving it. The album is definitely growing on me the more I hear it, and the surround mixes are only making me like the songs more. The production of the album and the clarity and separation of the surround mix are amazing.

All 5 speakers are used really well in the mix. At some points there's nice Steve Howe acoustic guitar parts from the rears. At others there's different acoustic parts coming from all 4 corners. Lots of isolated chugging bass guitar in the front centre. Orchestra and keyboard parts, backing vocals and percussion also at various times in the rears. It is a highly recommended very discrete surround mix. And Jon D's vocals sound much improved from the lacklustre Heaven and Earth. I'm going to listen to this a lot (y)

The wife is out so I'm listening to the 5.1 mix again LOUD! I have to say that the surround mix is really really very good indeed, I'm loving it. The album is definitely growing on me the more I hear it, and the surround mixes are only making me like the songs more. The production of the album and the clarity and separation of the surround mix are amazing.

All 5 speakers are used really well in the mix. At some points there's nice Steve Howe acoustic guitar parts from the rears. At others there's different acoustic parts coming from all 4 corners. Lots of isolated chugging bass guitar in the front centre. Orchestra and keyboard parts, backing vocals and percussion also at various times in the rears. It is a highly recommended very discrete surround mix. And Jon D's vocals sound much improved from the lacklustre Heaven and Earth. I'm going to listen to this a lot (y)
I'm chomping at the bit for this...can't wait!! LOL c'mon Import CD's where's my shipment?? LOL

Still listed as a 'pre~order' Eric. Release date: 10/15/21 ...... Patience, my Man!
ARGH, I think it originally had a release date of Oct 1, then I saw Oct 8...and your saying Oct 15 :SB

LIES, LOTS OF LIES!! :hi
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 7.10.57 PM.png

Musically your cup o' tea or a bit low-to-mid-tempo, like some are suggesting?

Musically your cup o' tea or a bit low-to-mid-tempo, like some are suggesting?
I can't deny that it is low to mid tempo, and has a relaxed laid back feel. I'm a massive Yes fan, and they've been my favourite band for as long as I can remember. Yes I would prefer something with a bit more balls to it, but if you accept that its not Tool or Sabbath, or Close To The Edge or Relayer, then, in my opinion its still a fine album. There's more than enough great Steve Howe guitarwork on this to satisfy me. I wasn't expecting much with this new album, thinking that it would be Heaven and Earth Two. Now Heaven and Earth was so low tempo it was insipid, with barely anything to grab your attention. The really drab production of that album didn't help. Apparently Steve Howe didn't think much of Heaven and Earth and felt it was rushed. But with this new one they seemed to have taken more time, with Howe guiding and producing.

If you forget trying to compare it to the great Yes albums of the 70's, and listen with an open mind, then in summary I believe that this is a good relaxed rock album, with great guitar work, great production, and an excellent surround mix. Yes it may well be the case that the quality of the surround mix is improving this for me, but then so be it, we're all fans of surround music here, and I bet many of us have bought music outside our usual listening as a result of the surround mixes and not regretted it. The songs themselves are growing on me (often slow growers and patience are a good thing with music I think) and I listened in stereo on my morning commute and enjoyed the album.

If you forget trying to compare it to the great Yes albums of the 70's, ...
That is very hard to do and none of their later albums have come close to that high bar set in the run of albums from "The Yes Album" to "90125" (I am one of those weird people that like "Tormato").

That is very hard to do and none of their later albums have come close to that high bar set in the run of albums from "The Yes Album" to "90125" (I am one of those weird people that like "Tormato").
I love Tormato too! I agree its hard, so perhaps think of it as being not Yes, but a different band, which I guess is what a lot of fans do anyway now.

I can't deny that it is low to mid tempo, and has a relaxed laid back feel. I'm a massive Yes fan, and they've been my favourite band for as long as I can remember. Yes I would prefer something with a bit more balls to it, but if you accept that its not Tool or Sabbath, or Close To The Edge or Relayer, then, in my opinion its still a fine album. There's more than enough great Steve Howe guitarwork on this to satisfy me. I wasn't expecting much with this new album, thinking that it would be Heaven and Earth Two. Now Heaven and Earth was so low tempo it was insipid, with barely anything to grab your attention. The really drab production of that album didn't help. Apparently Steve Howe didn't think much of Heaven and Earth and felt it was rushed. But with this new one they seemed to have taken more time, with Howe guiding and producing.

If you forget trying to compare it to the great Yes albums of the 70's, and listen with an open mind, then in summary I believe that this is a good relaxed rock album, with great guitar work, great production, and an excellent surround mix. Yes it may well be the case that the quality of the surround mix is improving this for me, but then so be it, we're all fans of surround music here, and I bet many of us have bought music outside our usual listening as a result of the surround mixes and not regretted it. The songs themselves are growing on me (often slow growers and patience are a good thing with music I think) and I listened in stereo on my morning commute and enjoyed the album.

Colsky. thanks for the great review. Im now convinced to purchase but like Eddie, Ill wait for the price to become reasonable...may have to wait a month or so

I like a lot of Tormato. There are a few stiff tracks but some real strong ones and genuine Yes sounding stuff. Don't kill the Whale should have been a single. I like some bits of the 90210 album too. It doesn't sound anything much like Yes! At that point Steve's sound was kind of synonymous with Yes. I like bits of Drama too. Both Drama and 90210 were pretty left field sounding Yes albums at the time. I thought Drama was stronger. Radio and MTV thought the other way! Hate to admit it but all these left field albums are stronger than anything they've done in recent times. I still blame too much click track and sterile 'take everything apart' studio approach. I bet if they actually tried to record the basic tracks live on the floor they'd come out with some good energy and more to say.

I love The Ladder- though part of my affection may be how thoroughly I enjoyed the tour- which I saw 3 shows of. Igor is my favorite Yes keysman after Rick. Too bad he couldn't handle his drink/stardom. I was actually at the show where his poor behavior spelled his doom. I'm also very fond of Magnification. Also loved that tour, though disappointed the songs they chose to play from the album were among it's weakest.

I think those two albums are only slightly below Yes at their peak- and surpass what can be expected of a band 30+ years old. I also think Keys studio cuts are very good- and would probably like it even better if they'd bothered to support it live. I think some of those songs could have come alive if presented on stage.

I also like Tormato, though it's the weakest of the 70's albums. Hurt by poor production and sub-par artwork. But it does have some gems. Love Silent Wings. I even like Circus of Heaven... And that was a killer tour. I enjoyed Yeswest, but consider that a different band- they're called Cinema in my mind.

I felt very lucky that Yes was still a well-functioning band after 30 years. Still thrilling in concert, coming around most every year and putting out good new music. It all fell apart in my mind when Jon was dumped, but still an amazing run of superior quality.

I'm actually considering buying this- mainly for the surround aspect and given some good reviews, esp. Colsky's. It will be my 1st Yes purchase since Jon left, but as some have said above I'll wait for a more price- around $25 seems reasonable.

I love The Ladder- though part of my affection may be how thoroughly I enjoyed the tour- which I saw 3 shows of. Igor is my favorite Yes keysman after Rick. Too bad he couldn't handle his drink/stardom. I was actually at the show where his poor behavior spelled his doom. I'm also very fond of Magnification. Also loved that tour, though disappointed the songs they chose to play from the album were among it's weakest.

I think those two albums are only slightly below Yes at their peak- and surpass what can be expected of a band 30+ years old. I also think Keys studio cuts are very good- and would probably like it even better if they'd bothered to support it live. I think some of those songs could have come alive if presented on stage.

I also like Tormato, though it's the weakest of the 70's albums. Hurt by poor production and sub-par artwork. But it does have some gems. Love Silent Wings. I even like Circus of Heaven... And that was a killer tour. I enjoyed Yeswest, but consider that a different band- they're called Cinema in my mind.

I felt very lucky that Yes was still a well-functioning band after 30 years. Still thrilling in concert, coming around most every year and putting out good new music. It all fell apart in my mind when Jon was dumped, but still an amazing run of superior quality.

I'm actually considering buying this- mainly for the surround aspect and given some good reviews, esp. Colsky's. It will be my 1st Yes purchase since Jon left, but as some have said above I'll wait for a more price- around $25 seems reasonable.

Some of you may cringe, but I thought Talk was a very strong album................and lets not forget Keystudio. Another great album. Yes Version 6.2 was a pretty good band from mid/late 90s to 2003ish. I still enjoy their full catalog.......even Drama !

Some of you may cringe, but I thought Talk was a very strong album................and lets not forget Keystudio. Another great album. Yes Version 6.2 was a pretty good band from mid/late 90s to 2003ish. I still enjoy their full catalog.......even Drama !

I like Talk too- though it has the worst Yes cover ever! Another great tour- in surround!!! Sponsored by DTS.

Back