New York Voices - Let It Snow - 5.1 Multichannel SACD (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we did the DTS releases, all the record companies had a limit of pressings on the titles you contracted.

No! Sorry that I didn't make myself clear. I meant that artificially limiting the supply of a digital product (like Disney does with its "limited time only" releases) encourages piracy. I suspect that there are many people who would cheerfully buy a product on Amazon (or wherever), but when they can't they, they download it illegally. Of course I could be wrong, but it does seem reasonable.

Yeah, the Disney thing is so pre-fab'd. Every time they did that over the past 20 years, people would buy up the releases at SAMs and BJs and Costco, then sell them on eBay after waiting out the sale period. Now that is a perfect example of what you are stating, IMHO.

I don't think you can equate that practice with what MFSL, DCC, Audio Fidelity, and other specialty labels that license a title do. There is nothing that would prevent Sony or whoever from releasing a 5.1 SACD of any of the titles licensed from them by AF themselves.

It's been over a year now since the New York Voices disc was released and that's it, nothing else since.
Is this venture dead?

Good question. I was just listening to this album (transcoded to flac). If you like this sort of thing (and I do) it's really good. I'd love to hear some new surround mixes from ES.

This article from the Town where Elliot Scheiner lives these days has some clues.

Check the heading "Pursuing another passion"
http://www.thereddingpilot.com/2015/05/11/scheiner-talks-grammy-awards-beyonce-album-and-baseball/

“Music is my life, but it’s a changed industry and I need a little more now. I’ve always loved baseball; this is something I have always wanted to do. I’m having a great time,” said Scheiner. “We eventually hope to have concerts here. Using the field we could accommodate up to 14,000 people, but we started too late last year to get anything set up for this season. Setting up concerts is a whole different side of the business — all new to me.”

For more information about the team or to order tickets, visit http://bristolbluesbaseball.com

Scheiner has another interesting project in the works. The record producer, engineer and mixer with more than 100 gold and platinum records to his credit and a half-dozen similar cohorts are working with a writer to develop a show about 50-plus years of rock music, interweaving iconic recordings and stories of how some of them were made. “We think some of those stories can be told now,” he said with a laugh.

And while he had intended to take the summer off from music and devote his energies to the baseball team, some opportunities are too good to pass up. On July 2, with son Matt assisting, he will head to Soldiers Field in Chicago to record the Grateful Dead Reunion concerts and will do the mix for the album and video. And no, he does not need any other assistance."

That sold out Grateful Dead Reunion concert video shot at Chicago's Soldiers Field should potentially contain a fantastic ES 5.1 mix.

Well, hopefully, something to look forward to in 2016.

Thanks for sharing, Brian.

That sold out Grateful Dead Reunion concert video shot at Chicago's Soldiers Field should potentially contain a fantastic ES 5.1 mix.

Well, hopefully, something to look forward to in 2016.

Thanks for sharing, Brian.

Hate to give you bad news on Christmas Day, but contrary to the article which I had posted on another thread https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...l-CD-BD-set-11-20-15&highlight=Fare+thee+well back in early summer, Eliot did not do the 5.1 mix after all. Bob Romano had posted that the mix was not of the usual ES standard and that his name appeared no where in the credits. I followed up with Scheiner management and they confirmed as much.

The Blu Ray disc set(s) were released in November
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_2ys1zzsmyw_e

It's been over a year now since the New York Voices disc was released and that's it, nothing else since.
Is this venture dead?

There were also the releases of "Winelight" and "Homecoming" on SACD from Audio Fidelity bearing the ETrain logo, but I agree. This venture has not panned out the way I think many had hoped it would. I'm still hoping for reissues on SACD of albums like "Toy Matinee", "Kamakiriad", "Two Against Nature", and "Everything Must Go", but I'm no longer holding my breath for any of them. Thankfully Audio Fidelity appear to have lots of other titles to keep them occupied in the meantime. :)

There were also the releases of "Winelight" and "Homecoming" on SACD from Audio Fidelity bearing the ETrain logo, but I agree. This venture has not panned out the way I think many had hoped it would. I'm still hoping for reissues on SACD of albums like "Toy Matinee", "Kamakiriad", "Two Against Nature", and "Everything Must Go", but I'm no longer holding my breath for any of them. Thankfully Audio Fidelity appear to have lots of other titles to keep them occupied in the meantime. :)

Audio Fidelity has more Multichannel SACD releases in development for 2016. They also are hoping to do work with ETrain in the future.
As for Steely Dan titles, artist approval will be needed there if it is to occur.

Audio Fidelity has more Multichannel SACD releases in development for 2016. They also are hoping to do work with ETrain in the future.
As for Steely Dan titles, artist approval will be needed there if it is to occur.

Yeah, I know how it goes. It's just too bad that certain artists have to block potential releases from happening, no matter how much good it would do for Audio Fidelity, the fans, and for the artists themselves (even though some will never realize or admit it…)

So the DTS Music Discs were "limited releases" even if they weren't numbered and labeled as such.
We were contracted to do 5000 for most i believe, and sony would ask for more per disc, like 50 cents, if we wanted to more pressings. I believe they did more pressings with the dvd style discs, that is why you saw a few issued in that style box, to get folks used to dvda, as the switch was starting. So i suppose they were limited, but it took a while to get discs selling, we had to basically sell hardware at the same time as software at the start! Hence the Millennium.

Yeah, I know how it goes. It's just too bad that certain artists have to block potential releases from happening, no matter how much good it would do for Audio Fidelity, the fans, and for the artists themselves (even though some will never realize or admit it…)

Yes, that how it goes. But there are other artists who have and will green light reissues on Multichannel SACD and DSD Downloads.
So the fun will continue in 2016.... :)

I hadn't noticed the America and Grover Washington disc bore the E Train logo, I stand corrected :)
Makes sense as they were re-releases of his work on the earlier DVD-A's.
Hopefully the relationship continues to bear fruit

We were contracted to do 5000 for most i believe, and sony would ask for more per disc, like 50 cents, if we wanted to more pressings. I believe they did more pressings with the dvd style discs, that is why you saw a few issued in that style box, to get folks used to dvda, as the switch was starting. So i suppose they were limited, but it took a while to get discs selling, we had to basically sell hardware at the same time as software at the start! Hence the Millennium.
I've got a Millennium. #0066 I think. Made in USA. Updated it to play DVDs. I think that was free.

"Take Me Out To The Ball Game" - I'd buy that in surround by Elliot :) He'd be killing two birds with one stone :music

Back