Oppo 103 help please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those reading this in the future, OPPO BDP-103's are great, if your transport method will be HDMI.
If you're going analog, you need a 95, 105 or 205. I can not stress this enough.

Well, in my setup I have a 203 connected to a Marantz SR6011 via HDMI and analog and, by far, the 203 DAC does a better job compared to the Marantz DAC. Even better than my oppo 95 (analog outputs)!! So I think your statement is true not on all setups. 😉

Well, in my setup I have a 203 connected to a Marantz SR6011 via HDMI and analog and, by far, the 203 DAC does a better job compared to the Marantz DAC. Even better than my oppo 95 (analog outputs)!! So I think your statement is true not on all setups. 😉
But have you had chance to compare it to the 205, which should/will be even better:p

I had a 203 and a 105 connected via analog at the same time,and the sound quality was very similar.Unfortunately the 203 broke and could not be repaired. :( Got my money back for it,though.

I agree. I found the 203 a real step up sonically from the 103; a noticeable improvement in the sound quality.
If you compare the specs, it's evident. Also, OPPO support does not recommend using the 103 as a preamp AT ALL. If you reduce its volume from 100 you quickly lose bit rate in the signal. Therefore, whatever you're outputting it to has to handle volume control. In any case, OPPO support recommends using HDMI with the 103.

If you compare the specs, it's evident. Also, OPPO support does not recommend using the 103 as a preamp AT ALL. If you reduce its volume from 100 you quickly lose bit rate in the signal. Therefore, whatever you're outputting it to has to handle volume control. In any case, OPPO support recommends using HDMI with the 103.

I use a quality multichannel preamp and an Oppo 103D, Oppo at max volume of course, and it sounds great. I would be very surprised if Oppo support didn't recommend this setup. Blanket statements about HDMI and 103 are not accurate.

For those reading this in the future, OPPO BDP-103's are great, if your transport method will be HDMI.
If you're going analog, you need a 95, 105 or 205. I can not stress this enough.
I think you stress it a bit too much. The xx5 series are relatively superior but the xx3 series should not be summarily dismissed.
That observation applies to digital attenuation in any device, including all Oppos.

I use a quality multichannel preamp and an Oppo 103D, Oppo at max volume of course, and it sounds great. I would be very surprised if Oppo support didn't recommend this setup. Blanket statements about HDMI and 103 are not accurate.
Then complain to OPPO support. Their quotes on the subject are not hard to find.

I think you stress it a bit too much. The xx5 series are relatively superior but the xx3 series should not be summarily dismissed.

That observation applies to digital attenuation in any device, including all Oppos.
Yes, and one reason the xx5's perform better for volume control is that feature has a much higher bit depth to start. So, you can turn it down quite a bit before any noticeable degradation of the signal occurs. There isn't as great a need to leave their volume on full blast, as with the 103s...

Their quotes to whom? You mean a 3rd party misinterpreting what Oppo support is recommending?
Perhaps, but I have no reason to automatically disbelieve someone when they paste OPPO emails in to a forum. It's really not worth battling with you.

If you love your 103 analog outs, that's nice for others to know. OPPO and copious consumers still recommend the xx5s for this, citing higher grade DACs...

Perhaps, but I have no reason to automatically disbelieve someone when they paste OPPO emails in to a forum. It's really not worth battling with you.

If you love your 103 analog outs, that's nice for others to know. OPPO and copious consumers still recommend the xx5s for this, citing higher grade DACs...

What battle?
You made a blanket statement. I gave you a specific example how it was wrong.

Oppo isn't and hasn't gone out of their way to say bad things about the analog outs of the 103.

The digital volume of the Oppo 103 is a different issue and shouldn't be lumped in with using the analog outs. They are independent of each other. You are blurring the two which isn't helpful to anyone.

What battle?
You made a blanket statement. I gave you a specific example how it was wrong.

Oppo isn't and hasn't gone out of their way to say bad things about the analog outs of the 103.

The digital volume of the Oppo 103 is a different issue and shouldn't be lumped in with using the analog outs. They are independent of each other. You are blurring the two which isn't helpful to anyone.
I disagree with you. OPPO recommends the xx5's for analog use. Sorry that hits a nerve for you. The evidence is there if you want to google it.

I disagree with you. OPPO recommends the xx5's for analog use. Sorry that hits a nerve for you. The evidence is there if you want to google it.

Hits a nerve?

I own three models including a 205. I am pointing out facts not "oh just google it" opinions, and blanket statements.

But have you had chance to compare it to the 205, which should/will be even better:p
I wish! But unfortunately no, I haven’t. I know that oppo used better DACs for the XX5 series on analog outputs but I could only afford the 203 :cry: However I really enjoy the sound of my 203 :). What I also noticed is that even the HDMI output on the 203 sounds better than the HDMI on the 95... how come?! It‘s supposed to be the same 0s and 1s right?

Wow. Wish I could hear as well as some of you! My ears have been ringing since the early 70's due to not always wearing earplugs in the military and post military employment in a very noisy environment. I CAN hear the difference between my DV-970HD and my 103 however. Lately I've been thinking I could benefit more from some better speakers.

I wish I'd bought a 205 before Oppo withdrew from the market. I could have afforded it, I just had no requirement for 4K and my 95 does everything I want. But I didn't know they were withdrawing, and thought I could buy the latest model at the point I had a requirement. And now second hand 205s cost a small fortune in the UK, at least double or triple the new price.

I bought a second hand 93 recently to replace my parents's dying 20 year old DVD player. I got one in such good condition I would have believed it if it had been sold as new old stock. All the packaging and accessories are present and both the player and remote are in pristine condition. And it only cost £225. Using the analogue stereo outs into a 25 year old stereo amp, sounds clearly better than the DVD player it replaced.

Back