Oppo OPDV971H - Widescreen DVDA problems confirmed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil,

Do you know if the Oppo BDP-83 has this issue? If so, will it also work with the TV setting on 16:9? Do you know if Oppo is planning on a firmware release so things will work with the TV setting on AUTO?

I have a BDP-83, and have the new PT disc on pre-order. I also plan on getting all of the KC titles on DVD-A as they are released. I currently have the first 3 KC titles, and none of them are causing me any problems with my setup.

Thanks.

Mark

AFAIK, the BDP-83 is fine with the 16:9 format, but like the BDP-80 just might need the TV setting to be forcing 16:9 instead of AUTO (this is certainly the case in a BDP-80 or so I am told by an owner).
Oppo have told me that if I send them copies of all, they will check for any issues and fix firmware accordingly.
We are sending them (or will be) a copy of everything we author from now on, as their support team is seriously cool and cannot be faulted.

As far as earlier players go, thank you so much Kazaam -
I will happily pass the details you have supplied to me to them, and see what happens. This is invaluable information, and I thank you sincerely.
(BTW - the video is a 16:9 matte on 4:3 full-frame footage with RED, and also the intros.
The thinking here is that with a setting of 16:9 in HDMI at 720P, nearly all players will stretch 4:3 footage to 16:9 at the TV, unless you change the upscaling to 576/480p or else can set the TV screen correctly.
Mixing aspect Ratios is a disaster unless you matte the 4:3 material to 16:9.

Many Thanks guys

Last edited:
Playing all 3 KC DVD-A's on my 980 with no issue. Shows DVD-Audio on the TV screen prior to playing. Audio in the MLP stream received via HDMI and converted by the receiver shows PCM as usual with any DVD-A played on my system.

Playing all 3 KC DVD-A's on my 980 with no issue. Shows DVD-Audio on the TV screen prior to playing. Audio in the MLP stream received via HDMI and converted by the receiver shows PCM as usual with any DVD-A played on my system.

This is more excellent news. Looks like Oppo fixed more models than they thought.

Received my Incident DVD-A today. It plays perfectly on my Oppo BDP-83 even with the TV aspect ratio set to "Auto". What an excellent disc!!!

Mark

Received my Incident DVD-A today. It plays perfectly on my Oppo BDP-83 even with the TV aspect ratio set to "Auto". What an excellent disc!!!

Mark
Are you playing through HDMI? I am curently using mine all analog and can't see any of the navigation on the disc. I have to guess where it is.

Mark
Excellent news.
Oppo have told me they will ensure compatibility if I supply them with discs, so this is what we are doing.
Their support is truly outstanding & they highly deserve the accolade of "Official QQ player".

Just received my Incident DVDA too and pleased to report that no 16:9 playback issues on my Pioneer DV-600 (fw. StM YGC8827A v3.2) :)

Back