Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sleeve quotes : "New original master in 5.1". It doesn't mean much, since literally it's a hint that the "original" has been "newly mastered in 5.1", but it can also mean that the "5.1 track is .. brand new !

Any real clue about this is welcome !

On the Jarre forum the thinking is that he must have used original parts, most probably also re-recorded few parts and (of course) made a new mix( and master).
So not a REmaster and not a (complete) new recording, but a NEW master :p

Hi!
For an overview of the 3 available versions: Oxygene3D.com

Thanks for the link, but I'm even more confused now! :confused:
The description for the "CD+2D DVD" edition states:
New master recording of 'Oxygene', re-recorded, mixed and mastered in high definition 24-bit/96kHz, presented on Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD).

Is this really true? I think no one mentioned this so far... also, when looking at the scans of the back cover (i.e. on Amazon) I could not make out any SACD logo (the resolution was pretty crappy, though).

But I take it that if you want the best MC audio quality this version would be the one to get, even if there is no SACD, right?

Thanks & best regards,
Oliver

There's no SACD as far as I know. If a SACD does ever exist somewhere, then this release will easily win the "2007 f****d-up release award" !

By the way, have you heard the "Oxygen in Moscow" DTS track ? (NOT from Oxygen 2007 of course !)

Well I'm thoroughly disappointed in the 3D release, not just with the film, but with the entire release itself.

Why skip out on the DTS mix?

Even the PCM track on here is 16/48, so why on Earth bother to tell us it was mastered at 24/96? If you're not going to include a DVD-A or dts 24/96 track then I don't want to know about it, big bloody tease.

At the end of the day I found the most sonically pleasing experience was listening to the CD included with the original Oxygene.

Is it worth trying to track down the 2D version with dts? I'm sure the "Super Audio Compact Disc" is a misprint, one can only dream.

This seems to clear it up a bit:

http://jarreforum.com/showthread.php?t=1525

I have recently purchased the 3D version and 2D version of Oxygene - The New Master & I am not terribly happy about this, as to get the studio version of the album in 5.1 you have to buy the 2D version, as it is not included on the 3D version, so EMI/JMJ have really pulled a sneaky one to start with. I would have expected the 3D version to include everything from the 2D version plus the 3D film (which isn't the best stereoscopic film I have seen) but alas, EMI/JMJ seem keen to rip off fans and afficionados of multichannel sound and vision by releasing multiple versions with unique content.

However, one of my main "beefs" (or should that be "boeufs") is the clear description on the official website that the 2D version has an SACD version of the studio album on the CD when in fact it doesn't. All it has is a standard Redbook audio CD version.

This is clearly false advertising and certainly contravenes UK Trades Descriptions laws.

It is also disconcerting to see the website and DVD liner notes continuously bang on about the "HD" video recording when the film is presented in standard definition on regular DVD with 576 lines of resolution. Sure, it may have been "filmed" in HD, but EMI/JMJ are clearly cashing in on the current wave of HD hype.

I am very disappointed, especially as JMJ is an advocate and proponent of new technology, especially 5.1 audio.

Whilst I do enjoy this new master in 5.1, and the film is a very interesting piece, the website is making claims that are blatantly false.

Am I alone in feeling a bit put out by this ?

Not you're not alone.

Just got the 2D version in the post and I'm spinning this now for the first time.. WOW!!!!!

If you are a JMJ fan (or even if you aren't) this is a must....

Its hard to tell the differences between the "new recording" & the original. I'll have to dig out my vinyl of this and compare.

I got worried when I first put it in and the audio options were only PCM Stereo and Dullby 5.1... luckily the "Bonus" section were the Studio Album is has DTS - phew!

Is this BD with DTS-HD MAS, or just straight DTS?
If it's MAS, I shall buy this for sure - can someone please do me a favour, and confirm what versions/editions have what audio?
I'm confused (Hey, it is Sunday morning)

I've got the 2D version with DTS in the bonus section. It's pretty good but not as dynamic in the rears as I would have expected.

I don't think there is a BD version.

Is this BD with DTS-HD MAS, or just straight DTS?
If it's MAS, I shall buy this for sure - can someone please do me a favour, and confirm what versions/editions have what audio?
I'm confused (Hey, it is Sunday morning)

I'm not aware of any Blu-ray of Oxygene.... (from a quick Google :))... It would be great if there is!!!!! Just CD/DVD...

If there is no BD version, what is all the talk about 2D and 3D - you can't do 3D on DVD as it's a 2D format.
EVen more confused now.......but it is only 9AM and I have not had my second coffee yet...

If there is no BD version, what is all the talk about 2D and 3D - you can't do 3D on DVD as it's a 2D format.
EVen more confused now.......but it is only 9AM and I have not had my second coffee yet...

haha! its anaglyph 3D (with the crappy red & cyan lenses) on the DVD. also bit naughty they bang on about "High Definition" with the video on the DVD on the back of the box but its only an HD source, it's just plain old standard def DVD all the way.

the reason for getting the "2D" version over the "3D" is because the 2D has the 5.1 studio mix in DTS, the 3D doesn't apparently. Lizard King knows all about it Neil, he told me! :)

haha! its anaglyph 3D (with the crappy red & cyan lenses) on the DVD. also bit naughty they bang on about "High Definition" with the video on the DVD on the back of the box but its only an HD source, it's just plain old standard def DVD all the way.

the reason for getting the "2D" version over the "3D" is because the 2D has the 5.1 studio mix in DTS, the 3D doesn't apparently. Lizard King knows all about it Neil, he told me! :)

I only know cause I read this thread.....:):rolleyes:

Getting it now.....
The one thing I must correct is that if you start with an HD source, render it properly to an interim 10-bit SD stream (scaling, of course) before compressing to MPEG-2, providing you use a high end MPEG encoder like CinemaCraft CCE-SP then you end up with a DVD that looks a hell of a lot better than something which started life as SD to begin with.
We've done it, and the results are literally night & day apart.

I loved Oxygene when it came out and somehow missed this disc so I tracked down a decent price and it arrived today. Popped the DVD in the Oppo and went for the DTS mix. I'm just a few minutes in now but so far it sounds pretty good mix-wise.

I confirm : two different packages, one with the 3D concert (anaglyphic glasses) and one with the studio album in DTS (and 2D concert).
When I had had to review the live DVD, back in the day, I had to buy the two versions because when you try to purchase one, it's VERY difficult to know what's EXACTLY into the box. Shameful.

The studio remake is absolutely stunning, given that the whole album has been entirely re-recorded with vintage synths. The differences between the 76 and 07 versions are minimal.

I don't have the same technical background as Neil, veeeeeeeery far from it, but I've also noticed that : if you buy a legit DVD, or buy the Blu-Ray and convert it with DvdFab, the picture quality of the converted copy is brighter and sharper than its legit counterpart :mad:@: So the question is : why don't they do it that way in the first place ? :D

Back