Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to post the same thing. I toggled the audio on the Live in Your Living Room section and it definitely only gave DD 5.1 or LPCM stereo. The DVD on mine is PAL all regions. Barcode: 5099951413729.

I will admit that the DD sounds decent enough, but I'd like to get the DTS to get the best sounding version.

My CD+DVD set has DD 5.1 only for the video but DD or DTS for the audio (with a good cover image animation) "studio" version.

I will admit that the DD sounds decent enough, but I'd like to get the DTS to get the best sounding version.

I think the above quote about video and audio could be misunderstood. Living Room is DD or LPCM only. The studio re-recording, tucked away in the bonus menu had the DTS choice. Both have video, but the studio album mix has an animation based on the sleeve. I don't believe an edition with DTS is available for the Living Room section.

Just listening to that DTS version. I love Oxygen, I will be biased.
What a mess.
1) it sounds harsh, there a light distorsion in some places, it sounds as anti analog as it can be, with a medium emphasis (what for ?).
2) the 5.1 mixing is embarassing. Like it was done by someone that had no idea what do with the material. That means idiotic movement to pretend the space is used at the price of coherence, or reverb for bigger space, even -gasp- rear reverb on front signal.
3) there is often added reverb to make the sounds bigger space but it just makes the mixing messy and blurred (bass line in Oxygene for exemple).

This is the very definition of a missed opportunity.

Last edited:
JMJ rules! I'm more of an Equinoxe (both the original and Infinity) guy but Oxygene's still a gem. Here's my 2 cents:

1. I dug the stereo New Master but not the 5.1 mix. DTS Neural X or whatever it's called does a better job of making a surround mix from the stereo mix on the CD.

2. Does anyone know if a 24-bit version of the New Master has ever been made available for download? It's touted as 24-bit on the cover of the CD but I've never seen it available in anything other than 16-bit.

3. If you haven't already downloaded these 24-bit FLACs HDtracks | You can hear the difference. Listen on the go in master studio quality. I can recommend them. It's all 3 Oxygene's (the original mix of the first one and it's night and day with the CD). They're a great listen via DTS Neural X. I'm not usually a fan of the faux surround mix but there's so much stereo separation and panning that you'd sometimes think you were listening to a discrete 5.1 mix.

... and while we're on the subject of Equinoxe:

4. These 24-bit FLACs of the original sound awesome: HDtracks | You can hear the difference. Listen on the go in master studio quality.

5. If you want 24-bit FLACs of Equinoxe Infinity, download these: Equinoxe Infinity, Jean Michel Jarre - Qobuz The one you'll want to listen to is the Continuous Mix of the entire album as 1 FLAC. The reason is that it flows from track-to-track perfectly like the CD. The individual tracks have a brief fade-out at the end of each track so that if you're listening to them gaplessly, there's a volume-drop between each track. Crazy. The Continuous Mix isn't available on HD Tracks so you'll have to get it from Qobuz. I think it sounds great but it could probably sound better (i.e., might want to avoid looking at the waveform in Audacity!).

Back