Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting it now.....
The one thing I must correct is that if you start with an HD source, render it properly to an interim 10-bit SD stream (scaling, of course) before compressing to MPEG-2, providing you use a high end MPEG encoder like CinemaCraft CCE-SP then you end up with a DVD that looks a hell of a lot better than something which started life as SD to begin with.
We've done it, and the results are literally night & day apart.

I get the idea of using an HD source for a DVD bringing superior video quality.. but I don't understand why this wasn't a blu-ray if HD video were a selling point.

not 3D BD, as that wasn't around at the end of '07 when this first came out.. but BD itself had been around for a wee while by that point, so why create an HD programme and then just plonk it on an el cheapo DVD and then go on about it being HD!? it's just bo**ocks!

plus, the info etc on the rear packaging of both the 2D & 3D versions of this title are an absolute mess and just a load of gobbledygook! there isn't even one standard way of presenting the blurb between the two different packages (they're both equally crap).. the descriptions are awful, misleading and lacking relevant details.

still, what's on the 2D version sounds very good in the scheme of core DTS, so I shouldn't grumble (too much!)..

This seems to clear it up a bit:

http://jarreforum.com/showthread.php?t=1525

Not you're not alone.

That post on the JMJ forum was me! LOL

Yes, I was pretty miffed, to say the least. But, conveniently, my post, and I assume the entire thread, has been deleted. I can't check any further because my account doesn't seem to exist any more. A case of forum censorship? Who knows...

Oddly enough, his official website has no reference to this release any more. It's almost as if it didn't exist. Or JMJ wished it hadn't...

just won it on eBay for a fiver (the 2D DVD with DTS) -- oxyciting! :D

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't pay much more than that. Although, I did. I bought both the 2 disc CD/DVD 2D combo and the 2 disc CD/DVD 3D combo. About £40-£50 all told.

As an electronic musician, multi-channel music appreciator and a big Jarre fan, I was extremely excited by this whole project. The recreation of Oxygene in a live situation was a bold undertaking that he managed to pull off. But the whole physical release package stank of a marketing plan gone horribly awry. First up, there were the false statements about an SACD version. Also, the constant reference to 'HD sources' implied many things. Yes, those of us who know about these things knew very well that a DVD couldn't deliver HD, but I suspect some overly keen marketing intern decided that using HD buzzwords was probably a cool thing to do and that 'Super Audio CD' actually meant that it was an audio CD that sounded super! ;)

But the worst thing, aside from the misinformation, was the compilation of the discs. The single RBCD version gets off without criticism because it does exactly what it says on the tin. But to have the 'premium' 3D version lacking the studio 5.1 mix that the lesser 2D version has is pretty unforgivable. The accepted way of doing these things is that you give the customer the choice of having the premium package with all the bells and whistles and then offer 1 or 2 other versions that strip things away from that premium package. As a fan of JMJ, I wanted both the 3D film and the 5.1 mix of the studio album. For that, I had to buy two versions. Back then, I felt cheated. I still do!

As for the 3D version, I have never been able to watch it for more than 5 minutes. It is truly unwatchable. Avoid this version like the plague. Get the 2D 2 disc version and you get the better audio option and you can watch the film without detaching your retinas.

Given the fact that the Oxygene3D page has been deleted, and seemingly all critical responses to it as well, I fear JMJ got his fingers burned with this one. 'Aero' is a great disc and I would truly love to hear all his original albums, not re-recordings like 'O:TNM', in proper hi-res multi-channel. However, given the acrimonious split from Dreyfuss Records, I'm not holding my breath.

I would like to see them re-release this as a 3D Blu-ray with the live performance and the studio 5.1 mix both presented in 24/96 PCM, TrueHD or dts-ma.

I'd be pretty thrilled to see him release all the studio albums done in 5.1 24/96 and would likely buy all of them up to Revolutions which is the last studio album I really enjoyed. Didn't know the split with Disques Dreyfus wasn't amicable, seems like they had a super long working relationship.

:(

I would like to see them re-release this as a 3D Blu-ray with the live performance and the studio 5.1 mix both presented in 24/96 PCM, TrueHD or dts-ma.

I'd be pretty thrilled to see him release all the studio albums done in 5.1 24/96 and would likely buy all of them up to Revolutions which is the last studio album I really enjoyed. Didn't know the split with Disques Dreyfus wasn't amicable, seems like they had a super long working relationship.

:(

If my memory serves me well, it wasn't a pleasant break up. His first release after signing for EMI France was 'Oxygene: TNMR'. Maybe he wanted to deliver them a big slew of sales to set that ball rolling? ;) Oooh, I'm such a cynic!

Seeing as Dreyfus no longer exists, and the catalogue is now in the ownership of BMG, we might yet see a comprehensive re-release. I suppose it all depends on how much say JMJ has in the matter and yes, Blu Ray can now do justice to the 3D film, but I guess that also hinges on the format on which it was shot and if that source material lends itself to the current standards.

And yes, JMJ's catalogue would certainly be quite spectacular in hi-res M/C :) I'd particularly look forward to Zoolook :)

Just played my DVD of Oxygene - Live In Your Living Room and did enjoy it.
Anyone know if there is a 5.1 Re-Mix of the original recording in the works?
Steven Wilson would do a magnificent job with this original 1976 album in 5.1

Just played my DVD of Oxygene - Live In Your Living Room and did enjoy it.
Anyone know if there is a 5.1 Re-Mix of the original recording in the works?
Steven Wilson would do a magnificent job with this original 1976 album in 5.1

There is a 5.1 mix of the 2007 re-recording. The cat# you are looking for is 50999 5141372 9

This release came out at the same time as Live in Your Living Room.

The title across the top is "New Master Recording & DVD Live"

It contains

CD: New 2007 recording
DVD: Live in Your Living Room performance, and "New original master in 5.1 surround and PCM stereo with animated visual"

So the DVD has both the live in your living room performance and a 5.1 mix of the new studio tracks with animation (flyaround of a 3D skull).

While it isn't the original recording, it is a 5.1 mix of the studio re-recording done in 2007.

Thank you Cheezmo !

I owned this DVD/CD for a few years and didn't realise there 'was' a remix 5.1 of the album included! The back cover is not that explicit of the 5.1 remix inclusion.

Played it now, it's not bad either. Would love to see this end up BluRay Pure Audio one day soon.

Be careful what you wish for. The new "remasters" which are emblazoned with the words "original" and "analogue" are, bluntly appalling. Brickwalled (of course), compressed (natch) and in the instance of Rendezvous, something much, much worse.

As this informative You Tube video demonstrates

Good lord, sounds like they tried to autotune it or something. The 2007 Oxygene re-recording is much less dynamic than the original (DR8 vs. DR12) but the 5.1 mix does sound pretty good. Not the hack job that 2015 remaster of Rendezvous did if that Youtube video is an accurate representation.

Be careful what you wish for. The new "remasters" which are emblazoned with the words "original" and "analogue" are, bluntly appalling. Brickwalled (of course), compressed (natch) and in the instance of Rendezvous, something much, much worse.

As this informative You Tube video demonstrates

Thankfully I own the original CD pressings of most of Jean Michel Jarre on CD. The YouTube clip made me so mad, what the hell are they doing?
Bring in Steven Wilson to re-mix these also in 5.1

I got the CD/DVD New Master Recording with Live in Your Living Room and 5.1 mix of the new studio recording. I noticed that the DVD has a crackling coming from the right front speaker in the first few seconds of the first track of the new studio recording. Switching between the DVD and the CD (and playing the CD in my BD player) reveals that it's only on the DVD. Anyone else experience this? Bit of a bummer but overall, I'm glad I bought it.

Could someone guide me to the version that offers 5.1 DTS please? I'll admit being slightly confused with the many different versions available.

Thank you! :)

Could someone guide me to the version that offers 5.1 DTS please? I'll admit being slightly confused with the many different versions available.

THe version I have looks like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxygene-30...99&sr=8-10&keywords=jean+michel+jarre+oxygene

The DVD says it's 2007 and FSK 0 and the case says PAL All zones.
It plays fine on my unadapted North American Oppo 93 and is a very enjoyable experience with the live video 2D) or "studio audio only" versions.

I did not pay that much - you seem to be a good hunter and will surely find a cheaper source.

I only have the 2007 CD + 3D/2D-DVD re-recording in DD 5.1 not the most adventurous of mixes, but the sound quality is good. Oxygene takes me back to the hot summer of 1976! Edit: Sorry summer of '77!

THe version I have looks like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxygene-30...99&sr=8-10&keywords=jean+michel+jarre+oxygene

The DVD says it's 2007 and FSK 0 and the case says PAL All zones.
It plays fine on my unadapted North American Oppo 93 and is a very enjoyable experience with the live video 2D) or "studio audio only" versions.

I did not pay that much - you seem to be a good hunter and will surely find a cheaper source.

The back cover doesn't mention DTS 5.1, only DD 5.1, which is what I already have. Is it on the disc even if it's not mentioned?

Hunting is part of the fun. :)

The back cover doesn't mention DTS 5.1, only DD 5.1, which is what I already have. Is it on the disc even if it's not mentioned?

Hunting is part of the fun. :)

My CD+DVD set has DD 5.1 only for the video but DD or DTS for the audio (with a good cover image animation) "studio" version.

I was just about to post the same thing. I toggled the audio on the Live in Your Living Room section and it definitely only gave DD 5.1 or LPCM stereo. The DVD on mine is PAL all regions. Barcode: 5099951413729.

Back