Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That kind of thing is "earning money". We will never past that. I hope there comes single blu ray. I never need more - only a br.:bowing:
I have yet to buy a single set that included vinyl. That's where I draw the line on this stuff. And the inclusion of a DVD and a Blueray is just foolish. Thank the powers that be for the standalone.

It's official
From PinkFloyd.com:Pink Floyd | The Official Site

30 June 2022

PINK FLOYD'S 'ANIMALS 2018 REMIX'

Warner Music [Sony Music outside Europe] today announced the upcoming release of Pink Floyd's 'Animals' on Deluxe Gatefold, CD, LP, Blu-ray and SACD. The individual versions will be available on 16 September 2022 with the Deluxe version available from 7 October. This is the first time the album will have been available on 5.1 Surround Sound.

Animals is the tenth studio album by Pink Floyd, originally released in January 1977. It was recorded at the band's Britannia Row Studios in London throughout 1976 and early 1977, and was produced by the band themselves. The successful album peaked at number 2 in the UK and number 3 in the US, and is considered as one of the band's best works. The album was recorded by band members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright.

Animals 2018 Remix will be released on CD, LP (with gatefold artwork), Blu-ray, SACD and Deluxe Gatefold formats. The Deluxe Gatefold version includes LP, CD, audio Blu-ray, audio DVD and a 32-page book. The Blu-ray and DVD audio include the 2018 remix in Stereo, 5.1 Surround (both by James Guthrie) and the original 1977 Stereo mix. The 32-page booklet features rarely seen behind the scenes photographs of the album sleeve shoot along with live images and memorabilia. The album artwork has been reimagined for this release.

Animals is a concept album, focusing on the social-political conditions of mid-1970s Britain, and was a change from the style of the band's earlier work. The album was developed from a collection of unrelated songs into a concept which describes the apparent social and moral decay of society, likening the human condition to that of animals. Taking inspiration from George Orwell's Animal Farm, the album depicts the different classes of people as animals with pigs being at the top of the social chain, dropping down to the sheep as the mindless herd following what they are told, with dogs as the business bosses getting fat on the money and power they hold over the other. Although it's been a long time since 1977, the narrative of the album still resonates today as our social and economical situation mirrors that of the time.

The album's iconic cover shows an inflatable pig (now known as Algie) floating between two chimneys of the Battersea Power Station, conceived by Roger Waters, and designed by long-time collaborator Storm Thorgerson of Hipgnosis Studios. For this new release, the artwork has been re-designed for the modern era by Storm's Hipgnosis partner Aubrey 'Po' Powell. Taking new shots of the building as it appeared during the recent conversion work, Po experimented with new angles and produce some striking new takes on the classic original. Po elaborates: "With the original 1977 album cover being such an iconic piece of stand-alone art, I had the chance to update it, which was a rather daunting task, but Hipgnosis took the opportunity to re-photograph the image to reflect a changing world, and by using modern digital colouring techniques I kept Pink Floyd's rather bleak message of moral decay using the Orwellian themes of animals, the pig 'Algie', faithful to the message of the album".

Pink Floyd's 'Animals 2018 Remix' is available to pre-order here.

So, the deluxe CD/DVD/Blu-ray/LP specifies a 32-page booklet, while the standalone Blu-ray specifies a 16-page booklet, and the SACD listing doesn't say. I wonder: how will the printed contents differ from edition-to-edition?
Right, I don't know. I'm almost thinking of ordering the exclusive SACD from Acoustic Sounds and then maybe the standalone BD from...wherever.

Right, I don't know. I'm almost thinking of ordering the exclusive SACD from Acoustic Sounds and then maybe the standalone BD from...wherever.
I'm definitely grabbing the SACD to add to my Floyd-Analogue Productions collection. Debating whether to put the standalone Blu-ray or the deluxe set on my Christmas list...

Last edited:
Back