Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be honest, the only thing that got me excited (a little) other than the blu-ray with Atmos, were the posters from the original album. But for $300 there needs to be a lot more meat than that.
Bummer they did not include the US version of the posters

I bet the LP will be the same snap crackle and pop fest like the new Animals LP

I feel like it's a test just to see how stupid I am.
Agreed.
At this point, this photo sums up their offer to those who would like a stand-alone blu-ray.
My wallet returns the offer 🤑

Attachments

• 68D7E037-7770-4148-86E9-FAFF05D7AAEB.jpeg
    68D7E037-7770-4148-86E9-FAFF05D7AAEB.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 0
As a nice way to end the day, the price just dropped to about $150 for me... thanks to cashing in points on a secondary credit card and applying them to an Amazon gift card.

So instead of paying $300 for an Atmos disc, it’ll be half that... making me feel only half as silly/guilty/wasteful/fiscally-irresponsible as I did originally this morning.

Hmmm, define 'better'

Do we like more ping pong quickly moving sounds around all corners and ceiling of the room? Or smooth moving panning? Or discrete but static sounds?
Or do we like more immersive balanced sound, that despite the fact that it sounds very good it looks boring and like 'expanded stereo'?
Do we want to sound like our preferred mix that we have listen thousand of times? Because if it sounds 'different'... some will say its worse, some will saye it's better.

Have to wait for reviews explaining the Atmos mix to evaluate if it is worth... Even beeing a completist and old time PF fan, there are so many albums there waiting for a listen...
On the Immersion blu ray if you want more ping pong aggressive mix you have the Quad mix. If you want a more balanced sound you have the James Guthrie 5.1 mix. Best of both worlds. DSOM is the perfect album for a adventurous mix lIke the Quad mix IMO. As many people agree on this forum, the Quad DSOM is one of the best surround mixes out there. The Atmos mix would have to be an all time great mix to purchase the new 50th box set especially at the ripoff price they set. JMHO

Last edited:
Hmmm, define 'better'

Do we like more ping pong quickly moving sounds around all corners and ceiling of the room? Or smooth moving panning? Or discrete but static sounds?
Or do we like more immersive balanced sound, that despite the fact that it sounds very good it looks boring and like 'expanded stereo'?
Do we want to sound like our preferred mix that we have listen thousand of times? Because if it sounds 'different'... some will say its worse, some will saye it's better.

Have to wait for reviews explaining the Atmos mix to evaluate if it is worth... Even beeing a completist and old time PF fan, there are so many albums there waiting for a listen...
I would like like more ping pong quickly moving sounds around all corners and ceiling of the room. :cool: This is the Dark Side of the Moon after all.;)

On the Immersion blu ray if you want more ping pong aggressive mix you have the Quad mix. If you want a more balanced sound you have the James Guthrie 5.1 mix. Best of both worlds. DSOM is the perfect album for a adventurous mix lIke the Quad mix IMO. As many people agree on this forum, the Quad DSOM is one of the best surround mixes out there. The Atmos mix would have to be an all time great mix to purchase the new 50th box set especially at the ripoff price they set. JMHO
Yes, Yesterday night I wanted to remember the Quad mix and put just the beginning of the Blu-ray Quad Immersion version. Just some minutes, to remember, and then continue with my next hard sci-fi series episode. (Wife already at bed).
But it was impossible for me to press the stop button. I have listened this album so many times (as many of you) that I felt I could just listen the first 5 minutes... But I listened complete to the end. And then CD disk 6 to compare with the early mixes... I went to bed without watching the series.

I know by heart the stereo album from my youth, and yes, the Quad mix is the best surround to enjoy.

DSOTM is DSOTM. For many of us it's strange that I don't get bored with it.

Yes, I think we need the Atmos mix. Listen, it is the DSOTM in Atmos, check it out. Many of us will pay for it, even if we don't need any DVD, or worse, any vinyl... And they already know it.

At this point the immersion box still offers more to me than this, including the unreleased early mix and the superior Parsons Quad mix.

Guthrie really is going to have had to up his game for Atmos mix to be more that Atmos stereo like his 5.1. Stereo mixes

I don't need or want the vinyl I have been spending my time recently getting rid of the last vest ages of vinyl I own as I have not listened to it in nearly 30 years.

My guess is this will not sell that well no demand for an Atmos mix and no further investment in mixing back catalog.
I have the immersion box with the replacement BD. I’m I correct that aside from a new Atmos mix and some trinkets, there’s not much additional I’d be gaining?

I have the immersion box with the replacement BD. I’m I correct that aside from a new Atmos mix and some trinkets, there’s not much additional I’d be gaining?
Well it's (the content) been pretty well laid out in previous posts by I think @rtbluray & links to the content. IMO Dolby Digital DVD instead of DTS is not a good move, no Parson's Quad, etc etc. Only you can decide for sure if it's worth it to you.

Please let there be a standalone bluray. I own five Pink Floyd standalone blurays - even though I think most were way overpriced - but this box set is simply not an option.

I have preordered the live album.
was noted earlier in this thread by reliable sources that sadly no standalone discs are planned from this set.

Let me join the chorus. As important as this album was to my youth and now old age.........
As much as I'd love to have an Atmos copy.......... $300 for another box-set that will sit in a closet with all the other picture books is a bridge too far. Add to that the fact that the Guthrie 5.1 almost never gets heard around here (usually only to reinforce why it's not listened to). The Parsons quad is the go-to.

Back