Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the film, found it as a BluRay some years back.
Meh...
They didn't use much of the PF music either..

I've never actually seen the film. Just have the soundtrack. But your opinion of it seems about the norm from those who have. Never seen More either. Again, not supposed to be a stellar film.

I've seen the film, found it as a BluRay some years back.
Meh...
They didn't use much of the PF music either..
Obscured by Clouds is massively underrated in my opinion. Wot’s Uh The Deal is one of my favourite PF songs. Really a shame that the 5.1 mix actually got removed completely from the Early Years set.

Obscured by Clouds is massively underrated in my opinion. Wot’s Uh The Deal is one of my favourite PF songs. Really a shame that the 5.1 mix actually got removed completely from the Early Years set.
Obscured By Clouds was my second Floyd album (on cassette) I love it as well, first one I got was Electric Moo.

How so? Just curious as I thought had a great soundstage/atmospherics and the bass was strong, tight and composed.
Just compare it to an older stereo version. In my case, the Mo-Fi CD. The impact of the band and the drums at the point where the words are spoken is quite diminished.

Echoes, on the other hand is quite good.

Just compare it to an older stereo version. In my case, the Mo-Fi CD. The impact of the band and the drums at the point where the words are spoken is quite diminished.

I will. I listened to the 5.1 very recently and the drums were pretty thunderous. But it's always a fun experiment to compare. My 2ch copy is from the Shine On set, so hopefully it's close to or the same as yours (no idea if Meddle has had different masters on CD).

Speaking of, I was surprised to hear Roger on his new DSOTM reaching back for lyrics from Obscured by Clouds. It is his song I suppose, but did it need a spoken word recital, intruding in the middle of better album?

There was a thread (on here, I think, at the time), which "fixes" that problem (IIRC something like a 3dB change at that point, to make it "impactful" following that strange mixing/mastering choice).

I did it to my copy, night and day better :)

Can't find the details now...

Speaking of, I was surprised to hear Roger on his new DSOTM reaching back for lyrics from Obscured by Clouds. It is his song I suppose, but did it need a spoken word recital, intruding in the middle of better album?
The better question is; did we need Roger to crap all over a beloved, classic album that is perfect in every way? The Redux is terrible. I could have ate the original version and crapped a better redux. I bought it without doing any research (shame on me) figuring it would be a stripped down acoustic version of the album. When I put it on and realized it's an old fart reciting the lyrics and rambling on about other things I felt duped.

The better question is; did we need Roger to crap all over a beloved, classic album that is perfect in every way? The Redux is terrible. I could have ate the original version and crapped a better redux. I bought it without doing any research (shame on me) figuring it would be a stripped down acoustic version of the album. When I put it on and realized it's an old fart reciting the lyrics and rambling on about other things I felt duped.
I need to give it another critical listen, but those were roughly my first thoughts too.... :(

Seriously? That's what the fuck this Water's version is about? What a total douche ball. If it turns out to be a big seller, what the hell is the world coming to?

I got a chance to play with Meddle last night. I used a sound meter on my phone (not terribly accurate, but it was there and I was lazy) to match between the two as best you can with 2 different mixes. Surround usually needs a boost compared to 2ch and this wasn't an exception. I ended up with it 2dB louder for the 5.1. The drums before the "One of these days" line peaked roughly .5 dB higher on the 5.1. The line itself was so close I couldn't say which was louder. In my setup the mains are crossed over at 50Hz to the subs and the subs are active when playing the 2ch.

Subjectively to me the 5.1 is hands down more immersive and detailed. My tower speakers do a very good job creating a wide and detailed soundstage with 2ch, but with Meddle it wasn't close to the immersive mix to me. But it's just an opinion. People's rooms are different. Equipment different. Or simply the 2ch could just suit their tastes better.

No matter where you land on which is better, it was a fun experiment.

There was a thread (on here, I think, at the time), which "fixes" that problem (IIRC something like a 3dB change at that point, to make it "impactful" following that strange mixing/mastering choice).

I did it to my copy, night and day better :)

Can't find the details now...
Id like to find this if anyone has the details.

Its not in the middle, it's at the very beginning during Speak to Me. And its just about the only part of the Redux that I liked.

Id like to find this if anyone has the details.

I suspect it is burred in the original monster Early Years thread somewhere.... I wish I'd saved a copy of the URL at that point to refer back to!

I WILL try and find it again if I can... (hopefully someone else will beat me to it or knows where to find it directly!)

I have the "before" and (obvs) "after" so perhaps I can remind myself with Audacity...?

Back