Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Nick was on record as saying that he didn't think anyone would ever be interested in the unreleased material in the Early Years box, so I guess he's obtuse too. As for Roger having disdain for his fans, he is very aware that concert ticket prices have skyrocketed and not everyone can afford to go. He's always made a point of having some very affordable seats available for those who can't afford to see a big show in today's climate. On his most recent tour, he priced the seats in the last 5 to 10 rows of each arena in the $25 range. Compare that to Springsteen's current tour where the cheapest seats are over $200.
Yeah, he treasures his fans.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-yells-at-fans-london/

There is already a modern 5.1 mix of Meddle. It was meant for inclusion on the Early Years set, but for whatever reasons was not approved at the 11th hour (likely Roger being Roger). The mix was still present on the disc, just not accessible from any menu.

I was able to snag a copy and it is an amazing mix. Because of the nature of how this came about, there's no engineer attached to it, but I would have to guess James Guthrie is behind it. Hopefully they're able to get past any differences and this sees a wide release. Meddle is kind of an underappreciated gem in their catalog in my opinion and this is by far the best way I've experienced it. The files I have are 5.1 FLAC and I'm using an Nvidia Shield and VLC to play them.

Floyd has been my favorite band for ages and after reading a few books on the band Roger has always had kind of a disconnect with the fans. So not surprised he'd be oblivious to people wanting to hear the live recordings.
I think the Meddle 5.1 mix was done by Andy Jackson.

Roger's hardly the only musician who's ever called out rude audience behavior. Frankly, I wish more artists would. I've had more than one concert ruined by inconsiderate people around me.

And yes, Roger can certainly be a complete jerk at times, but he's hardly the only one in Pink Floyd who can be that way. People are complex. Dave and Roger are no exceptions. Sometimes their behavior is admirable, sometimes it's embarrassing.

Yes, and that was Roger's objection: if it's not Guthrie, he won't even consider a new mix for release. It is likely that Jackson's Meddle will remain unreleased (at least officially) in perpetuity.

Yes, and that was Roger's objection: if it's not Guthrie, he won't even consider a new mix for release.
Vernon Fitch's post from November 2016:
I can verify that James Guthrie had nothing to do with the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC being pulled from the set. He was not involved in what was put on the set, or what was left off the set. It would have been a better box set if he had been involved.
Roger Waters is the one who had the mixes pulled from the set because no told him that the mixes were being done, and no one bothered to play the mixes for him. All previous 5.1 mixes (DSOTM & WYWH) were played for all the band members for their input and approval prior to releasing them. This time round no one bothered, and the result was that they got pulled.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

Roger's hardly the only musician who's ever called out rude audience behavior. Frankly, I wish more artists would. I've had more than one concert ruined by inconsiderate people around me.

And yes, Roger can certainly be a complete jerk at times, but he's hardly the only one in Pink Floyd who can be that way. People are complex. Dave and Roger are no exceptions. Sometimes their behavior is admirable, sometimes it's embarrassing.

I most definitely never encountered any such behavior from the Quad Roger Waters show I saw, in Winnipeg.
In fact I remember him being grateful for the audience responses to his performance with the phrase ;

"Oh I just love you Canadian audiences" in a very appreciative reaction with smiles from ear to ear.

Regarding the rights to the Wall… my recollection is this comes from a German interview Waters gave around the time of the Wall Live in Berlin. I believe it refers to Waters holding the exclusive rights to the wall concept for performances, and not necessarily past recordings. I’m sure Gilmour would have had no problem giving that up since he would have no interest in performing the wall in its entirety.

Last edited:
they will probably reissue the live album on its own too
Is There Anybody Out There? missing on streaming services is a really big issue for a lot of PF fans. Also, it's never been reissued since the beginning of the Pink Floyd Records reissues.

Last edited:
Is There Anybody Out There? missing on streaming services is a really big issue for a lot of PF fans. Also, it's never been reissued since the beginning of the Pink Floyd Records reissues.
My best guess is that we will get this on vinyl together with the Wall deluxe release (whenever and if that comes)

I've always considered Roger a smart guy. A real prick but very intelligent. If he needed his son to tell him that "Pink Floyd have large communities of fans who value the live recordings.", then he must be obtuse.

Without getting bogged down with the overdiscussed Fink Floyd dynamics; my limited (non PF) experiences suggest general disconnect between various parts of the music industry food chain. Record companies, management, musicians, fans... all coming at these things from different angles.

Yeah I wasn't sure. I guessed Guthrie due to him being involved with other Floyd projects in that time frame. A shame if it never sees wide release since the mix is great.

Well Nick was on record as saying that he didn't think anyone would ever be interested in the unreleased material in the Early Years box, so I guess he's obtuse too. As for Roger having disdain for his fans, he is very aware that concert ticket prices have skyrocketed and not everyone can afford to go. He's always made a point of having some very affordable seats available for those who can't afford to see a big show in today's climate. On his most recent tour, he priced the seats in the last 5 to 10 rows of each arena in the $25 range. Compare that to Springsteen's current tour where the cheapest seats are over $200.

I wonder if Nick's statement is based around a lot of "younger" fans not having as much interest in the Barrett era stuff? I got into the band around the time of Momentary Lapse of Reason's release and don't really have much interest in the pre-Meddle stuff. And that's pretty much the same for my friends too. When I see any kind of discussion about Floyd and what peoples favorites are the overwhelming majority is grouped in that Dark Side - The Wall era. Don't get me wrong, that early material isn't bad. It's just tonally a lot different than what came after.

Roger's problems and disconnects with the fans aren't a secret, but he's definitely been trying get better. The Wall concert Blu Ray he touches on some of this in the non-concert segments.

Yeah I wasn't sure. I guessed Guthrie due to him being involved with other Floyd projects in that time frame. A shame if it never sees wide release since the mix is great.
Most of it is great. But somehow they lost the dynamics and impact on "One Of These Days" IMO

I wonder if Nick's statement is based around a lot of "younger" fans not having as much interest in the Barrett era stuff?
Barrett was only on the first two albums (TPATGOD and ASOS). The rest of the pre-Meddle stuff was Waters Gilmour Wright and Mason.
I agree with you except I'd draw the line back to Obscured By Clouds rather than Meddle as the point where they became good song writers and accomplished players of their respective instruments. However there are some gems in those earlier albums, they are just the exception and not the rule. There are also fans that love those early experimental albums more than the later stuff but they are a slim minority.

Barrett was only on the first two albums (TPATGOD and ASOS). The rest of the pre-Meddle stuff was Waters Gilmour Wright and Mason.
I agree with you except I'd draw the line back to Obscured By Clouds rather than Meddle as the point where they became good song writers and accomplished players of their respective instruments. However there are some gems in those earlier albums, they are just the exception and not the rule. There are also fans that love those early experimental albums more than the later stuff but they are a slim minority

True, I should have stated that better and just said pre-Meddle era. I just mentally kind of group that material together and associate it with Barrett due to what I feel is his influence on it. There are definitely gems on the early stuff. You can certainly hear the seeds of things to come. I still give Saucerful of Secrets or Piper a spin every now and then (Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun is a standout for me on Saucer). And I wouldn't argue with Obscured by Clouds being the point they really started to coalesce into what most consider the best iteration of the band. I guess Meddle just feels more like "we're there" to me. But I really do like ObC. Probably should listen to that one more often.

Back