Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recent release of Animals in 5.1 was on BD
In addition to the BD, it was also offered on SACD.

1697554827921.png

In my opine....Meddle in BD is stubbornly overdue , regardless of nitpicking by the band and all their Ill advisors.

And for sure it's time to see Obscured By Clouds finally get the public release it so deserves.

So I wouldn't be surprised, just happy to see either of these 5.1 mixes , get their just due release.

Meddle and or Obscurred By Clouds arriving soon out of the clouds of obscurity.

My prognosis here (ok, my best guess): WYWH is also ready in Atmos and will be released in another excessive box set in 2024. If we're very lucky, we may get The Wall in SACD also in 2024. And then, The Wall deluxe boxset with the Atmos in 2025.
Edit: it would make more sense to get the Wall deluxe in 2024 and then WYWH in 2025, more aligned with the album anniversaries. It will all depend on who is writing the inner notes :D

Sadly that scenario may hold true , Atmos 5.1 sans both quad mixes .

Maybe the will wake up on the bright side of bed and finally release a QUAD BD of TDSOTM......so badly needed.

If Meddle and Obscured get released in surround (5.1 or Atmos) at some point down the line, they'll almost certainly be new remixes by James Guthrie.

As for the quad DSOTM, I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever being issued again. There have been three multichannel releases of the album in 2023 alone (the 50th box, the Sony Japan 7-inch SACD, and the standalone BD), none of which contained the quad mix. The Japanese SACD even used the RM quad LP cover art, but no quad mix.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but someone has posted this over at SHF:

Heard from an Italian Pink Floyd fan page on Facebook that James Guthrie has completed an Atmos remix of The Wall & is waiting on Pink Floyd to decide whether to grace us with the honour of hearing it in full
That was posted by @rontoon, who also posts here. I’m hopeful for a 2024 “45th anniversary release” of the Wall in both Atmos and 5.1. I just wonder if they’ll drag it out the same way with a ridiculous box set in the spring and a reasonable separate blu-ray in the fall.

If Meddle and Obscured get released in surround (5.1 or Atmos) at some point down the line, they'll almost certainly be new remixes by James Guthrie.

As for the quad DSOTM, I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever being issued again. There have been three multichannel releases of the album in 2023 alone (the 50th box, the Sony Japan 7-inch SACD, and the standalone BD), none of which contained the quad mix. The Japanese SACD even used the RM quad LP cover art, but no quad mix.

I believe if enough interest is being gauged , any or all of those three can become an actual possibility.
So I would not dismiss them so quickly as out of hand.

I just wish that certain members of the band would finally “grow up” like they’re in their late seventies David, or eighties Roger, but thanks to people advising yes Polly I’m calling you out! But they need to move on as they don’t have time on their side anymore, thoughts?

Unless making more money would somehow signal defeat by one party in the petty Gilmour/Waters feud. 😉
My opinion is that Dave Gilmour isn’t motivated by greed, we’re talking about a philanthropist who has given away more money than 99.9% of people on earth will make in their lifetimes.
Which leaves me to assume the other party may be the one motivated by money, of course I could be wrong.

Didn't they release ITAOT against Roger's wishes?

No. When Roger was first presented with the idea, he did not see any value in it. However, his son Harry is a big Phish fan with a huge collection of live shows. Harry told Roger that bands like Phish and Pink Floyd have large communities of fans who value the live recordings. Once Roger realized this, he signed off on the project.

No. When Roger was first presented with the idea, he did not see any value in it. However, his son Harry is a big Phish fan with a huge collection of live shows. Harry told Roger that bands like Phish and Pink Floyd have large communities of fans who value the live recordings. Once Roger realized this, he signed off on the project.
Proved my original point that Roger can't release this on his own. He needs to get approval from the others.

I've always considered Roger a smart guy. A real prick but very intelligent. If he needed his son to tell him that "Pink Floyd have large communities of fans who value the live recordings.", then he must be obtuse.

There is already a modern 5.1 mix of Meddle. It was meant for inclusion on the Early Years set, but for whatever reasons was not approved at the 11th hour (likely Roger being Roger). The mix was still present on the disc, just not accessible from any menu.

I was able to snag a copy and it is an amazing mix. Because of the nature of how this came about, there's no engineer attached to it, but I would have to guess James Guthrie is behind it. Hopefully they're able to get past any differences and this sees a wide release. Meddle is kind of an underappreciated gem in their catalog in my opinion and this is by far the best way I've experienced it. The files I have are 5.1 FLAC and I'm using an Nvidia Shield and VLC to play them.

Floyd has been my favorite band for ages and after reading a few books on the band Roger has always had kind of a disconnect with the fans. So not surprised he'd be oblivious to people wanting to hear the live recordings.

I've always considered Roger a smart guy. A real prick but very intelligent. If he needed his son to tell him that "Pink Floyd have large communities of fans who value the live recordings.", then he must be obtuse.
Well Nick was on record as saying that he didn't think anyone would ever be interested in the unreleased material in the Early Years box, so I guess he's obtuse too. As for Roger having disdain for his fans, he is very aware that concert ticket prices have skyrocketed and not everyone can afford to go. He's always made a point of having some very affordable seats available for those who can't afford to see a big show in today's climate. On his most recent tour, he priced the seats in the last 5 to 10 rows of each arena in the $25 range. Compare that to Springsteen's current tour where the cheapest seats are over $200.

Back