Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Background story regarding “You! Yes, you behind the bike shed’s, stand still laddie!” Is that most schools had what were called bike shed’s or covered areas for parking bicycles while at school. These were more often than not used for the purposes of having a sly smoke (or fag as it would be referred to normally) or to hang out around or get up to no good with girlfriends etc when on break times. They’d be checked on by teachers that were on break duty periodically and if you were caught out there you’d often hear a teacher shouting “You! Yes you behind the bike shed’s……” resulting in detention after school more often than not.

Last edited:
Background story regarding “You! Yes, you behind the bike shed’s, stand still laddie!” Is that most schools had what were called bike shed’s or covered areas for parking bicycles while at school. These were more often than not used for the purposes of having a sly smoke (or fag as it would be referred to normally) or to hang out around or get up to no good with girlfriends etc when on break times. They’d be checked on by teachers that were on break duty periodically and if you were caught out there you’d often hear a teacher shouting “You! Yes you behind the bike shed’s……” resulting in detention after school Moe often than not.
Or being turned into human hamburger....

1696354203815.png

Actually it's amazing how times have changed. I went to a catholic high school in the late 70s and there was a pavilion that was mainly there for people waiting for a bus but doubled as a sanctioned smoking area for students.
They actually allowed students age 14 to 17 a place to smoke, and I think that might have been the norm in both private and public schools at that time (at least in the Baltimore area). Imagine that today.

Actually it's amazing how times have changed. I went to a catholic high school in the late 70s and there was a pavilion that was mainly there for people waiting for a bus but doubled as a sanctioned smoking area for students.
They actually allowed students age 14 to 17 a place to smoke, and I think that might have been the norm in both private and public schools at that time (at least in the Baltimore area). Imagine that today.

My parents divorced and when I was 6 I started flying to London to see my father, it was the mid 80s and I remember the entire back half of the plane was full of people smoking like chimneys. They had the curtains closed as if that's going to keep the smoke in the back. I remember walking through smoke and how it moved around you. It's completely insane when you think about it now.

I have to say though, I think I'd take the smoking if it meant the kids today understood what privacy means, and the kind of danger we're all in with our mobile phones and social media etc etc. Amused to death.

How the heck did he get Clapton to record and tour with him after immortalizing his (Clapton's) racist crap from a couple years previous like that? And how did he even want to?!
Their wives were friends... there's the logic of "Fuck David, I'll get a better guitar player"... maybe he'd talked with Eric and thought Clapton had had a real "come to god" moment on racial politics and felt that this guy who'd helped inspire "In The Flesh" had gotten his head out of his ass. Clapton did mostly keep his foot out of his mouth for several decades after. Bowie'd gone from openly endorsing fascism to being an outspoken anti-racist by the mid-1980s, and everyone loves a redemption story.

I just always found it downright comical that a guy in Clapton who wouldn't dispute that he owed his entire career to black blues artists would have so much contempt for people who looked like them settling in his country. Though those feelings do add another layer to the supposed story about him having a panic attack after sharing a stage with Hendrix and feeling outclassed, if it was all driven by personal insecurity, as racial animus so often is.

Background story regarding “You! Yes, you behind the bike shed’s, stand still laddie!” Is that most schools had what were called bike shed’s or covered areas for parking bicycles while at school. These were more often than not used for the purposes of having a sly smoke (or fag as it would be referred to normally) or to hang out around or get up to no good with girlfriends etc when on break times. They’d be checked on by teachers that were on break duty periodically and if you were caught out there you’d often hear a teacher shouting “You! Yes you behind the bike shed’s……” resulting in detention after school Moe often than not.
I had always heard "band stands" but today I learned.

Their wives were friends... there's the logic of "Fuck David, I'll get a better guitar player"... maybe he'd talked with Eric and thought Clapton had had a real "come to god" moment on racial politics and felt that this guy who'd helped inspire "In The Flesh" had gotten his head out of his ass. Clapton did mostly keep his foot out of his mouth for several decades after. Bowie'd gone from openly endorsing fascism to being an outspoken anti-racist by the mid-1980s, and everyone loves a redemption story.

I just always found it downright comical that a guy in Clapton who wouldn't dispute that he owed his entire career to black blues artists would have so much contempt for people who looked like them settling in his country. Though those feelings do add another layer to the supposed story about him having a panic attack after sharing a stage with Hendrix and feeling outclassed, if it was all driven by personal insecurity, as racial animus so often is.

There's probably a no politics rule on this forum, and, trying to follow that, I will limit my response to saying that there are groups of people who are absolutely flabbergasted that people would have other opinions than the ones they themselves hold, and that those opinions might just have merit. Those groups of people often coincide with the demographics of the groups of people that collect hi-fi gear or other relics of the past.

Has Roger ever stated that Clapton was the inspiration for the rant in In the Flesh? I thought it just all developed from his idea of the band throwing bombs on the audience, and associating from there. Whether it was genuine or not (it doesn't seem like any black musician ever complained about being treated badly by him, and he has played with a lot...), Clapton did apologize for his comments.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but someone has posted this over at SHF:

Heard from an Italian Pink Floyd fan page on Facebook that James Guthrie has completed an Atmos remix of The Wall & is waiting on Pink Floyd to decide whether to grace us with the honour of hearing it in full
Big, if true. The 5.1 has been completed for years without release. It took four years for the Animals remix to make it to market; perhaps we can look forward to The Wall in 2027? 🙄

My prognosis here (ok, my best guess): WYWH is also ready in Atmos and will be released in another excessive box set in 2024. If we're very lucky, we may get The Wall in SACD also in 2024. And then, The Wall deluxe boxset with the Atmos in 2025.
Edit: it would make more sense to get the Wall deluxe in 2024 and then WYWH in 2025, more aligned with the album anniversaries. It will all depend on who is writing the inner notes :D

My guess and bet is that we'll finally get "The Wall" in 5.1 & now Atmos in 2024
This year was obviously all about the 50th anniversary of "Dark Side of the Moon" and any "Wish You Were Here" releases are probably earmarked for its 50th anniversary in 2025
The Early Years were celebrated from 2016-2017, The Later Years were celebrated from 2019-2022 and "Animals" got its long-awaited remix released in 2022
So not much else left for them to reissue or release besides these new remixes of "The Wall"
I'm gonna predict an elaborate box set along with a single-disc Blu-Ray audio release featuring the new 5.1 & Atmos mixes and a double-disc SACD release featuring the new 5.1 mix
The box set will probably have the live album included as well and they will probably reissue the live album on its own too
It would also be nice if they FINALLY released the film on Blu-Ray (and maybe even 4K too) but AFAIK the film is actually under separate ownership so I wouldn't expect to see the film turn up in any box sets with the album

If the mixes are finished and Guthrie has been paid for his work, then I think all involved will see to it that these mixes are released, after all, I've never really known Pink Floyd to turn down ways to make more money

:)

My guess and bet is that we'll finally get "The Wall" in 5.1 & now Atmos in 2024
This year was obviously all about the 50th anniversary of "Dark Side of the Moon" and any "Wish You Were Here" releases are probably earmarked for its 50th anniversary in 2025
The Early Years were celebrated from 2016-2017, The Later Years were celebrated from 2019-2022 and "Animals" got its long-awaited remix released in 2022
So not much else left for them to reissue or release besides these new remixes of "The Wall"
I'm gonna predict an elaborate box set along with a single-disc Blu-Ray audio release featuring the new 5.1 & Atmos mixes and a double-disc SACD release featuring the new 5.1 mix
The box set will probably have the live album included as well and they will probably reissue the live album on its own too
It would also be nice if they FINALLY released the film on Blu-Ray (and maybe even 4K too) but AFAIK the film is actually under separate ownership so I wouldn't expect to see the film turn up in any box sets with the album

If the mixes are finished and Guthrie has been paid for his work, then I think all involved will see to it that these mixes are released, after all, I've never really known Pink Floyd to turn down ways to make more money

:)
Wouldn’t The Wall fit on a single SACD disc? If not it’ll definitely be nice to have on a single BD.

Unless making more money would somehow signal defeat by one party in the petty Gilmour/Waters feud. 😉

The problem is that none of them NEED the money. That's why they can be petty and punitive in their dealings with one another. The only people that are hurt are their fans which they must take for granted. Actually, Roger seems to openly show his disdain for his fans.

Back