Poll: CDs with your surround optical discs, yes or no?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer CDs (or a CD layer for SACD) to be included with surround releases?

• Yes

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Only for SACDs (hybrid CD layer), not Blu-rays or DVDs (extra CD)

Votes: 9 10.2%

• Total voters
Yes! These recent Gentle Giant CD/Blu Ray combos very affordable. Same with the xtc, Hackett, Rabin, Yes CD/Blu Ray combos. I think they're cheaper than some stand alone Blu Rays. CD/Blu Ray combos usually don't take up much space. Plus, I like to rip the CD and put it on a flash drive for my automobile.

Another perspective: A stereo CD is a way to hear (most of) the surround sound mix (either a direct downmix [like CD-4 in stereo] or some sort of quad matrix encoding).

Kirk Bayne

I wish there were more responses... given that my actual answer is:
Yes, I want a CD layer with an SACD as it adds no additional physical media to the release.
No, I don't want the extra CD disc with a DVD or Blu-ray releases, as it just makes the package larger. Instead I would prefer the option of a lossless (Wave or FLAC) download which I could play on my chosen device.
At this point, I have no real interest in physical CD's as the same quality can be had easily in a digital file.

No. I don't want the cd, especially if it adds to the cost. I have a couple thousand CDs that I can listen to in my car. I had to buy an after market CD player for my car, and frankly I see those days coming to an end when I have to buy a new vehicle. They rarely come with CD players. At home, I listen strictly to multichannel. If I had a CD copy of something I get in multichannel, I get rid of it. I'll never listen to it again.

Yes, I like to get CDs in addition in blu-ray sets. I still buy CDs, especially remasters of older albums (or ones that haven't been released on CD) or previously unreleased material.

On SACDs I don't care if there is a CD layer because I would be playing a SACD in my blu-ray player, so would always choose the SACD layer.

Like all formats - physical or digital, the quality of audio you get from that item is dependent upon not only the quality of the source, but also the quality of your playback equipment. A CD played on a low quality CD player will not sound as good as it would played on a high quality CD player. After reading reviews on the Onkyo C-7030, I replaced my older Sony CD player with the the Onkyo and the difference in audio quality proved to me the positive reviews were accurate. Similarly, when I switched from a cheap blu-ray player to an Oppo, the difference in sound quality on blu-rays was immediate and stunning.

If I buy a cd/blu ray or dvd package I rip the cd to itunes then never touch it again. I tried to rip a blu ray to put on my phone and it needs about 3 different programs and takes more than 5 minutes so too much like hard work

I do not want a CD included with a Blu-ray. Usually a hi-rez stereo version is included on the disc anyway. I don't normally listen to the stereo version if I have the multi-track release. If I need a CD for some reason I would downsample from the stereo version on the Blu-ray.
I have found that packages that contain extra CD's are usually full of such things as demos and live tracks that I don't really need and more importantly they are almost always brickwalled, I never play them again! The inclusion of extra CD's just pushes up the price.

I do like having a CD layer on the SACD. Normally I don't listen to it but. if I need a CD for some purpose it is nice to be able to simply rip the CD layer. Including the CD layer is what is great about SACDs, the disc will function as a normal CD for those without SACD functionality.

I'm voting no to a separate CD but (yes) a CD layer is fine even preferable (for compatibility) with SACD.

The poll should be in two parts, or remove "(or a CD layer for SACD)" from the question. I'm voting as if that quote was not there.

Let's make them separate editions. Hey you know what? Then we can put a unique bonus track on each edition so super fans have to buy all of them. Let's sell them 8 copies of the same album!

Wait, that went a different direction...

Alright, let's put everything together then! Have to include vinyl. Probably some 45rpm vinyl singles too, right? Hey, let's also give them a 4 single sided 45rpm edition of the album! We should put an 8-track tape in there. Should we do a wire recording too? Bluray, DVDA, DVDV, CD, SACD. It'll be a bargain for only $4999!

Now let's talk about if we're including an actual full fidelity mastering of the album or if this is going to be a novelty edition with a lo-fi 'volume war' or 'streaming' style mastering of the album. Yes, that's right! We're thinking of not including the full quality audio anywhere in the set! (Might want to sell an upgrade later, you know!)

Am I doing this right?

Your "Do you prefer CDs (or a CD layer for SACD) to be included with surround releases?" statement doesn't make any sense in relation to your "CDs with your surround, yes or no?" topic title!

With regard to your topic title my answer is: No. But with regard to the SACD part of the other question the answer is: Yes.

And for the sake of clarity, an SACD is not a CD or vice-vera!

Last edited:
Yes
The old banger has a CD player so I like to nod along to any recent release that's got a CD included.
Although I very rarely play CD's in the man cave.
I barely have time to listen to all the Blu-rays etc.
Soooo much great surround music to enjoy.

I did enquire about a quote for a surround system fitted in the old Honda CRV.
Very nice chap said yes he could do it but it would be worth more than the car 🚗 😀

In a nod to triggering the surround fan they should start including SQ encoded vinyl, Q8 8-track, and a Q4 open reel. Then include a CD with a stereo fold down of the mix. Bonus points if the set doesn't even include a discrete lossless copy of the surround mix.

I don't have streaming services and even if I did, it wouldn't be in surround in any of my vehicles. That is actually very rare. I listen to the physical discs a lot in my vehicles. Of course I want a cd. Even if you all are streaming, or downloading, adding to drives, whatever, 99% of you still only have stereo in your cars. Or maybe you don't listen to music there? I drive a lot so its a must for me.

Regardless, as stated by others, even if you don't ever use the cd, it is quite simple for us simple folks to copy that cd to a hard drive, to a thumb drive, etc. I am not willing to pay much more for the cd to be included, nor do I want the cd to be alternate versions, demos, b-sides, etc. I just want the album in cd format that sounds good for simplicity. If it didn't add more than a few dollars what does it hurt? Of course SACD needs to have a cd layer to be playable anywhere, too. If they actually included everything they could on a single blu ray disc, I probably wouldn't be as frustrated about this, but since they insist on multi disc sets, give me the damn cd!

wish there were more responses... given that my actual answer is:
Yes, I want a CD layer with an SACD as it adds no additional physical media to the release.
No, I don't want the extra CD disc with a DVD or Blu-ray releases, as it just makes the package larger. Instead I would prefer the option of a lossless (Wave or FLAC) download which I could play on my chosen device.
With regard to your topic title my answer is: No. But with regard to the SACD part of the other question the answer is: Yes.
I just added a new poll response option to account for this. Anyone can change their response at any time.

Your "Do you prefer CDs (or a CD layer for SACD) to be included with surround releases?" statement doesn't make any sense in relation to your "CDs with your surround, yes or no?" topic title!
What doesn't make sense, exactly?

Good question. Thanks for putting this up here @JediJoker .
NO, I never listen to any of the CDs. It adds an unnecessary/ inflated cost to the whole package.
Maybe include it as DV does on their hybrids... but that wouldn't be my first choice if I was choosing.
Make them available as a stand alone media!
Some stated on this poll that they are in favor of the CD being included if it doesn't add cost ( or much of one).
It will virtually always add cost! What sort of a business model can have a product @ N/C?
That would only be government since it can operate at a loss & still keep going!

Last edited:
Good question. Thanks for putting this up here @JediJoker .
NO, I never listen to any of the CDs. It adds an unnecessary/ inflated cost to the whole package.
Maybe include it as DV does on their hybrids... but that wouldn't be my first choice if I was choosing.
Make them available as a stand alone media!
Some stated on this poll that they are in favor of the CD being included if it doesn't add cost ( or much of one).
It will virtually always add cost! What sort of a business model can have a product @ N/C?
That would only be government since it can operate at a loss & still keep going!
A significant part of the cost is packaging and distribution. There are economies of scale involved which make adding a CD to an existing package much cheaper than producing a separate one.
They can add a CD for very little and make the package attractive to more people and thus more sales.

Back