Poll: What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

• Total voters
I'm sort of curious how many with ceiling speakers went with flush mount, and how many went with speakers aimed at the sweet spot (or otherwise)?
All my speakers are directed toward the sweet spot, in this room flush mount would not have been a (good) option anyway.
In-ceiling speakers were never going to work for me since the ceiling has a heavy angle to it and it would be near impossible to get them aimed even halfway correctly.
To start I had used 4 speakers I had left over from a Klipsch HDT500 system that had adjustable wall mounts that lend a easy overhead mount.
Then I got a super deal on 4 slightly used SVS Prime Elevations which also allow an easy ceiling mount and pointability, (is that a word? LOL). In many cases they aren't the most attractive answer but I'm a "bachelor in paradise" with no one to answer to any more. (yippee).

Old rig w/Hsu base speakers and Klipsch Atmos speakers
IMG_2690.JPG

Current rig w/ JBL HDI-3600's and SVS Prime Atmos speakers.

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

I have flush mount but the tweeters are able to be pointed at an angle so I pointed them all towards the sweet spot. I am really not sure it makes too much difference in my setup since i can't quite point them directly at the sweet spot, only about halfway. But it sounds good to me.
I have similar in-ceiling speakers with the tweeter on top of the woofer and it can be pointed at the listening position. I kept it pointing vertically at the floor because my room measurements told me this is the best way to have a similar response in different spots. Also, most in-ceiling speakers with the tweeter on top of the woofer don’t have a great frequency response due to comb filtering and other design issues. See the Audio Science Forums for some reviews.
In my case, I had to use parametric EQ (similar to tone controls) to bump up the 2KHz-5KHz range of the in-ceiling speakers of 4dB. The tonality was so different compared to the other speakers.
Retrospectively, now I would probably choose another type of speaker for Atmos.

I'm sort of curious how many with ceiling speakers went with flush mount, and how many went with speakers aimed at the sweet spot (or otherwise)?
All my speakers are directed toward the sweet spot, in this room flush mount would not have been a (good) option anyway.
All 4 B&W M-1s aimed as best I could towards the sweet spot, tweeters are towards the middle of the room - I had to put them up in the 'easiest' positions which was the corners of the room

20231102_221809.jpg

I ended up using prebuilt sub boxes that I attached to the joist to enclose the B&W CCM 663's. I have a support beam in the room that these helped the right side speakers avoid reflections from and angled the speakers towards the sweet spot. The wiring is secured to the ceiling with plastic channel painted to match since the joists run the wrong way (you can see the wiring in progress). Sorry the picture isn't the best, but you get the gist.

Should add, these speakers also have an adjustable tweeters and they're angled towards the sweet spot.

Attachments

• ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've got the white rectangular cable channel, wide as I could find running all about my room. Not beautiful, but I figured better than bare wires running amok and I did not want to take any sheetrock down and start drilling holes in studs. This channel will hold at least 4 12 gauge wires if one is careful though the corners take some finessing.

Like @Sal1950 I have a slanted ceiling. I have on the lower side of the ceiling my right side top speakers mounted to ceiling joists with inexpensive Monoprice swivel mounts.
On the taller side, I have my left side tops mounted on some very overkill swivel mounts mounted to the wall studs so as to place all the top speakers at or close to the same elevation. I found the other day these aren't sold anymore and were rated at 120 lb capacity. Wow! My corner speaker cabinets were pre drilled and threaded inserts added before finishing to facilitate mounting on the heavy duty mounts I bought years ago.

I inherited it from a relative. Built in 1925. I spent a small fortune on renovations so far, but you're right, they don't build 'em like this anymore. The living room will be configured with one thing in mind; listening and watching.
Very nice. My place up in Chicago for 32+ years was of the same vintage, beautiful old homes.
I came down to FL after retirement in 2010, can't take the cold or the taxes up there any more.
cent' anni
Sal

Just a friendly reminder to consider you might need to upgrade your room treatment (sound panels, bass traps, foam, etc) after bringing another 4 - 6 speakers into the mix.

Are those windows filled with insulation?
That's hilarious and awesome! :D

That whole SO not approving using a room for music listening thing... So, set up a different room for one of your main things then, right? Never understood the battle there. What I'm trying to say is yeah, I'm single too.

Owens Corning 703 here... Oh well.
It's doing the thing though! Corner bass traps 12" deep in the middle.

Back