Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream DVD-A for pre-order

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rusinurbe said:
...how come this Band/Man can turn out such good surround mixes ?
He learned from Eliott Scheiner ;)
And as the producer, he knows his own recordings, as he did the stereo mixes himself too.

If there is a progressive rock group more brilliant than Porcupine Tree, please tell me. I just had a Friday evening of listening to the DVD-A's of In Absentia and DarkWing. Everytime I listen to these I am reminded of the brilliance of the way the music is crafted. I am dying to order Stupid Dream but I am going to Europe for the next 3 weeks and I am afraid that it would get stuck in customs or get lost.......When I come back though this is priority one for me. In fact I may order it a week before I leave Europe. This way it may meet me when I get home. Who knows....it may come back on the same plane with me from London! Anyway, maybe we should post it in the Hi-Rez Spotlight Discs. Jon...?

The brilliance of Porcupine Tree is that while some of its roots are traceable to the progressive genre, they are never captives of it! The writing, playing and arranging transcends boundaries so effortlessly it's never obvious.

That is probably why they find the prog tag limiting; because their palate is much wider than that would indicate.

Just very happy they exist and that I've enjoyed the music so much and had the privledge of seeing them live twice so far. Every vehicle I own has a copy of Deadwing ready to go for since it came out. (my special road edition with extra tracks) My kids have their favorite tracks as well and that's extra fun.

They can easily write better B-sides than most bands A-sides; how can one of them, (ironically) 'Drown With Me', be SO uplifting? That's on the end of my Deadwing disc because I can play that track over and over again. It was a leftover from the In Absentia sessions and just beautiful to me.

The first time I brought Stupid Dream home and played it, maybe the first 30 seconds of loud clever righteous rock interplay on 'Even Less' told me right away I had a new favorite band.

Dancing bananas swirled in my head long before I understood what they were. :banana:

Hope it arrives tomorrow; all I know is everything I am doing will come to a dead stop until I've experienced the whole thing all the way through. That much I know. :smokin

It arrived in my mail box this morning (in France) (y)

I wasn't expecting it that soon, and that's really funny because I had been out with my iPod and Koss headphones and I was listening to... Stupid Dream, just to be able to more accurately rate the new stereo mix by SW when the re-edition arrives home. I did not know that I would be able to compare both stereo mixes just when I returned one hour later ;)

I will post further comments when I digest both the new stereo and surround mixes, but let me say in the credits, we can read in the end :

Additional DVD-A euthoring by Neil Wilkes at Opus Productions Ltd
Co-ordination by Patrick Cleasby

All hail to those QQ forum members ! I think we owe you getting Stupid Dream in DVD-A instead of DVD-V... so a million thanks go to you !!!

Guy wrote: "If there is a progressive rock group more brilliant than Porcupine Tree, please tell me."

I love Marillion even though they loath to be called progressive.
They are a little lighter than PT but their last album, "Marbles" is fantastic.
In fact Steve Wilson had a hand at putting the finishing touches on some of the tunes on "Marbles". The only trouble with them is that they have not embraced 5.1. It would be truley amazing stuff in surround.

If you never heard of them or if you wrote them off as an '80s prog band, you should really give them a new listen.

www.marillion.com

Got it in California :banana: :banana: :banana:

I didn't dare to dream it would make it here so fast. Now, time for little one to take a nap so Dad can have some fun :)

For reference I pre-ordered on the first day

This is a winner. Those familiar with the old cd no doubt knew that the mix wouldn't be like In Absentia and Deadwing - there just isn't the density here. SW still manages some swirling/panning effects that are well done, but in general it is tamer (which suits the music perfectly). The biggest surprise to me was the sound quality. The original cd didn't sound all that great, and I thought it might have something to do with the original recording. It doesn't appear so, the difference in sound quality is night and day compared to the original cd. Great job everyone (y)

One last thing - you put this in and it starts playing the 5.1 mlp layer automatically. The way it should be, imo!

BananaSlug said:
One last thing - you put this in and it starts playing the 5.1 mlp layer automatically. The way it should be, imo!
This was always one of my beefs with the format, having to turn on the television to navigate to start the playback. I haven't ordered or preordered Stupid Dream, guess I'm a little slow. Time to start looking for it.

It's only available from their Burning Shed store. Other than checking eBay there isn't any need to look around - and I would guess it would be more expensive from an eBay seller if there are any available there.

Got mine yesterday. :)

Sounds good upon first pass. (y)

I'll have to absorb it more before I elaborate in the poll section. :phones

I'm having a hard time digesting the entire album because the first four tracks (plus the 29-second transition) are SO good I keep going back to them.

This is good, good stuff.

I got my shipping notice on May 17 but it is still yet to arrive...I am getting abit concerned as stuff from the UK always gets to me within a week.

I have heard of Canadian customs getting in on the act on some people's order, maybe they've slowed it down.

Of course the day after I comment here, the discs arrived in the mail! (I should have commented last week heheheh)

Excellent mix....very pleased after one listen.

"This release will definitely send me looking deeper into their catalogue."

Try 'Lightbulb Sun' as a companion piece to this one though it won't be available on Dvd-A until late this or early next year.Recommend their XM2 cd though its not easy to find.

~M~

Won't get mine until the second batch is produced.
The second batch should have the glitch fixed that the last 2.5 min of the bonus track Even Less (long version) is silent in DTS :eek:. Hopefully in the same action the choice for stereo in the DVD-A menu can point to the stereo instead of the DTS track :eek:.

But for most in this forum those things don't matter. We play the DVD-A. :smokin

Interesting. The disc actually arrived today. Caught me off guard as it was estimated that they would not be ready to ship until today. Obviously, they were mailed sometime last week. Anyway, excellent service and no customs fees. Just sign me up automatically for any other Porcupine Tree DVD's that are released with a DVD-A surround track. This one is excellent once again.

Back