Porcupine Tree "The Incident"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the spoilers without warning! Sheesh! Shouldn't talk of PT concerts have their own thread in "Off Topic"? Some of us are going to see them soon (Tuesday for me) and want to be surprised. Too late now. That said, I've been waiting for them to play the aforementioned deep cut for a long time, and am now really excited. However, I'm not sure what is worse: Not being surprised when they play it, or being extremely let down if they don't.

Thanks for the spoilers without warning! Sheesh! Shouldn't talk of PT concerts have their own thread in "Off Topic"? Some of us are going to see them soon (Tuesday for me) and want to be surprised. Too late now. That said, I've been waiting for them to play the aforementioned deep cut for a long time, and am now really excited. However, I'm not sure what is worse: Not being surprised when they play it, or being extremely let down if they don't.

Oh cmon, it's not like someone told you the score of the FA Cup Final that you taped. I saw U2 last night and read the reviews from the night before and it didn't spoil anything. Enjoy the show.

PT are getting very big. Walked past the venue to a great Indian restaurant before the doors opened and there was a HUGE crowd outside. We got there before the opening band and it was already packed, and people held their ground through the opening guy and the break. Cow Palace next time? Sedate crowd for the new stuff, also seemed to be younger and more metal inclined than in years past. I miss the days when they played the Fillmore... (but they deserve their success)

Oh, and when someone finds out something about Steven's new guitar, please post!

Last edited:
I'm glad I got there early last night, just early enough to get one of the coveted spots at the rail. Gotta set your drinik down somewhere! I agree with BananaSlug, the crowd was a bit younger than last time, and for the most part hadn't heard the new album at all. Time Flies was the highlight for me on the first set which was strictly the new album. The crowd was all over that one, and the group around me loved it even though all but one had never heard it. The second set no matter what could never be long enough. I'm always longing to hear even more of their older stuff (they did play about 2 hours total). I'm not sure I can remember the entire second set, but they did play Buying New Soul, Anesthetize (rocked hard), Lazarus, Strip the Soul, and Trains. I met a lot of cool people there, but not a one has ever heard any PT in surround sound...they don't know what they're missing! All in all a truly great show, even better than the last. Just wish the drive wasn't so far!

I thought the last show (what 2.5 years ago now?) was better. That's probably because by the time they got here I knew FOABP inside and out. I'm still learning TI. Plus, now they have those tape lines on the floor and everybody HAS to stay inside the people pen areas.

Have any fellow Canadian received (or not received) the deluxe edition yet?

I received the "order shipped" email on Sept. 1st, but have not received it yet. Could be a border issue... so has anyone else in Canada received theirs? If so, when?

I would really like my first listen to be in 5.1, but the wait is killing me!!

I am going to see them in Montreal next week. It would be nice to get familiar with the album in advance. I might have to break down and listen to the flac version.

I've received the 'de luxe' version today. Although It's a great mix it's only a DTS version instead of high res DVDA. It sounds compressed and muffled compared to the PPT DVDA disks.

Last week couldn't have been any better for me. I was tempted to drive to LA to see the Saturday night show, but I ran out of time and money.

Got some cool pictures of the whole ordeal if anyone is interested.

I've received the 'de luxe' version today. Although It's a great mix it's only a DTS version instead of high res DVDA. It sounds compressed and muffled compared to the PPT DVDA disks.

Welcome to QQ!

This is what was expected; the early release 5.1 mix in the Deadwing, FOABP and The Incident 'special edition' albums are all DTS. The DVD-A is released later on SW's own label given the major labels' amnesia/reluctance about DVD-A.

The recording contract that PT had with Atlantic and now Roadrunner gives them the option to do other formats like DVD-A but more importantly, Steve Wilson retains the rights to do it when they decline, unlike other artists who are basically stuck.

Cleveland show was excellent and just before the encore SW confirmed a 2nd leg in early 2010.

I'll post more when I recover from the drive. :mad:@:

Cleveland show was excellent and just before the encore SW confirmed a 2nd leg in early 2010.

I'll post more when I recover from the drive. :mad:@:

Oh yeah, I forgot that SW told San Francisco that he hoped that they'd be back next year for the second leg. Last time they didn't hit the left coast again, but after Deadwing they played here 3 times. Go figure... I guess if the set list gets better I'd go again.

Nice BBC article about PT in particular (enter charts at #23!!) but also their place in a larger context and offers some encouragement about the general state of music and this beguiling tag of 'progressive rock'.

Newer generation w/o preconceived notions: While standing at the concessions to buy PT shirt, an 18 yr old kid was looking at the Larks Tongues In Aspic pin on my shirt for a while. "King Crimson..." I finally offered. He replies, "Yeah, I know, isn't it such a fine album?"

Hope.

Last edited:
Newer generation w/o preconceived notions: While standing at the concessions to buy PT shirt, an 18 yr old kid was looking at the Larks Tongues In Aspic pin on my shirt for a while. "King Crimson..." I finally offered. He replies, "Yeah, I know, isn't it such a fine album?"

Hope.

Lovely. :) Almost brings a tear to your eye, does it not?

Neil, thanks for the link! Sent it out to the non-believers;)

As for The Incident: I cannot say enough about this effort. I have been totally immersed in this for the past week. The music is intoxicating.

I am now shutting it down as I will see them live tommorrow in Baltimore at the Ramshead. Being very familiar with the music, I have a one-up on our west coast brothers and sisters. I am very interested on how they pull off 55 minutes. After that, I really do not mind what they play from the archives.

Report to follow:smokin

Attended the Chicago show on Tuesday. Unbelievable! I am in total awe of this group, and Mr. Wilson in particular. Once again, I can't thank the members of this forum enough for turning me on to the most exciting music I've heard in decades.
FWIW, here is the song distribution by show on the current tour. Obviously, The Incident's songs have been played at all shows. I was lucky enough to hear Russia On Ice Tuesday, only the second time it's been played so far.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/porcupine-tree-63d6b2fb.html?year=2009

Back