Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after first listen while doing other stuff: mostly ambience and I remember the old Bluray having a bit more "punch" on the 5.1, but didn't have time to compare yet.
This blu ray and 4K have a DTS HD MA 5.1 mix on them as well as Atmos.

I finally got around to popping both discs into my Oppo BDP-203 and both discs play fine, at least upon startup and through the first few songs; I haven't had time to watch the entire discs. No issues with menus, dropouts, or stutters.

I finally got around to popping both discs into my Oppo BDP-203 and both discs play fine, at least upon startup and through the first few songs; I haven't had time to watch the entire discs. No issues with menus, dropouts, or stutters.
It's odd that someone else reported a problem on a 203.

Not if the problem is manufacturing defect-related rather than compatibility-related. Do we know yet for certain what specifically is causing these playback problems?
I don't believe so, and I doubt we ever will unless some Queen spokesperson tells us. With Rhino or SDE I could believe we'd be told what the issue was, but with Queen it's much less likely unless Brian or Roger know and you manage to get direct contact with them.

I received the Queen "Rock Montreal + Live AID" 4K Ultra HD and Peter Gabriel "Back to Front" 4K Ultra HD in today's mail from SDE and have already watched both. All I can say is "WOW"!!! Both are sonically AND visually stunning releases/upgrades and should NOT be missed if you are even just a casual fan as they are BOTH that damn good. Both discs played effortlessly in my OPPO UDP-205. I am now looking forward to the Robin Trower "Bridge..." box set and Pink Floyd's "Animals" that I pre-ordered and recently received confirmation from SDE that they have been dispatched to the United States (California). I will be ordering the new QUADIO bundle in a few days so I should have plenty of immersive/surround goodies to keep me occupied for the near future. Yahoo!!!

It's odd that someone else reported a problem on a 203.
I'll add my experience with these 4k discs into this discussion. I've been rocking the Oppo 203 since it went out of production and its been pretty much bullet proof as far as flawlessly playing 4k discs that other players have been reported as having issues with (I dread the day this thing dies and I have to find a replacement).

Initial attempt to play disc 1 (full frame version) got the looping screen with no menu. I ejected the disc and did nothing (no cleaning, etc) and then got the menu on the 2nd attempt to play. Then ejected and and played again with no issues.

Initial attempt to play disc 2 (widescreen version) got the menu first time. 2nd time trying to play this disc gave the looping screen with no menu. Then eject and play again and menu showed up.

While some people report with different players not being able to get to the menu consistently on at least one of the discs, at least with my experience on the Oppo its just a crapshoot of if it didn't work the first time, eject and try again. Not saying that's acceptable but at least the discs play after a few attempts.

Based on how many different people have this issue with different players this seems like it must be some manufacturing defect.

The comments about the upscaled content looking better on the BD than the 4K disc are stupid, given the upscaled content looks to be identical on the two different formats (impossible to tell bit for bit without ripping them). Having made that major an error, I don't feel I can trust anything else this review says eg they then go on to mark down the picture quality because of the upscaled Live Aid. That's dumb because a) the main event here is Montreal, the Live Aid is filler and b) Live Aid was shot on SD video, it's never going to look any better and should be scored on how well it extracts what there is to be had.

I suspect the upscaled Live Aid content looks worse when compared to 4K Montreal than to 1080p Montreal, but that's perceptual bias and reviewers should be aware of it.

Last edited:
My 4KUHD copy arrived without damage to the package and disc one plays in my Sony UBP-X800M2. Sticker said Made in Czech Republic. Will update after listening fully to both discs.

UPDATE
Both discs play without issue. Feeling fortunate.

Last edited:
The comments about the upscaled content looking better on the BD than the 4K disc are stupid, given the upscaled content looks to be identical on the two different formats (impossible to tell bit for bit without ripping them). Having made that major an error, I don't feel I can trust anything else this review says eg they then go on to mark down the picture quality because of the upscaled Live Aid. That's dumb because a) the main event here is Montreal, the Live Aid is filler and b) Live Aid was shot on SD video, it's never going to look any better and should be scored on how well it extracts what there is to be had.

I suspect the upscaled Live Aid content looks worse when compared to 4K Montreal than to 1080p Montreal, but that's perceptual bias and reviewers should be aware of it.
Agree to an 'extent' but today's enhanced technology is able to transcend some of the bugaboos of the SD format including sonics! Why I say that. I have a number of Stereo SACDs which were originally recorded 16/44.1kHz released by Analogue Productions and comparing them to the original DDD RBCDs, the remastered SACDs do sound significantly better.

Last edited:
Agree to an 'extent' but today's enhanced technology is able to transcend some of the bugaboos of the SD format including sonics! Why I say that. I have a number of Stereo SACDs which were originally recorded 16/44.1kHz released by Analogue Productions and comparing them to the original DDD RBCDs, the remastered SACDs do sound significantly better.
16/44.1 exceeds the capabilities of human hearing. If the RBCDs didn't sound as good as the SACDs then that is because the RBCDs were not as well mastered. Use the same master as the SACD and the RBCD will sound just as good.

16/44.1 exceeds the capabilities of human hearing. If the RBCDs didn't sound as good as the SACDs then that is because the RBCDs were not as well mastered. Use the same master as the SACD and the RBCD will sound just as good.
The RBCDs sounded exceptional but by accessing the PCM masters, Analogue Productions managed to elevate the sound to a new level. Strange but TRUE!

The RBCDs sounded exceptional but by accessing the PCM masters, Analogue Productions managed to elevate the sound to a new level. Strange but TRUE!
And they could have elevated the RBCDs in just the same way by reissuing them from the new masters. But that would have shown up SACD so they didn't do that.

And they could have elevated the RBCDs in just the same way by reissuing them from the new masters. But that would have shown up SACD so they didn't do that.
Keep in mind, Owen, that Donald Fagen's NIGHTFLY [MLP DVD~A 5.1 and SACD] and well as the 20th Anniversary edition of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms [DVD~A/SACD 5.1] were likewise derived from PCM 44.1/16 multi tracks and IMO, they sound AMAZING!

Keep in mind, Owen, that Donald Fagen's NIGHTFLY [MLP DVD~A 5.1 and SACD] and well as the 20th Anniversary edition of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms [DVD~A/SACD 5.1] were likewise derived from PCM 44.1/16 multi tracks and IMO, they sound AMAZING!
You are making my point for me, 16/44.1 can sound amazing. More often than not it's the mastering for CD that degrades the sound.

I was able to clone disc 1 no problems. Disc 2 froze at 28%. I restarted it and it ripped fairly quick.
Haven't played the physical discs, don't have a 4K disc player, but I've played both discs, skipping from song to song on the pc from the .iso rips. I didn't see any problems but a proper viewing and listen will come.

You are making my point for me, 16/44.1 can sound amazing. More often than not it's the mastering for CD that degrades the sound.
THE best example of pluperfect RBCDs, IMO, have been, hands down, JVC and FIM's 24/32 bit remastered XRCD series of discs. You'd swear you're hearing at a minimum 24 bit remasters! Of course they come at a premium but I was able to get about 2 dozen at greatly reduced prices.

Since all my systems consist of separate components, the majority of RBCDs just don't have the absolute 'zing'of JVC's XRCDs! MoFi and DCC and even AF GOLD CDs sound great, as well, but also come at a premium!

Back