Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this is via some kind of reasonably executed A/B comparison where you had instant access to both machines, identical discs and could directly compare them
Yes
I have an identical set of HDMI cables.
Both players feeding the same DAC (the Bryston has 4 HDMI inputs) with the DAC going into a single input on my amp.
A friend has many the same SACDs I do, he brought some over.
A simple/quick switch from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and that's it.
Coordinating the two discs to play exactly simultaneously is nearly impossible but close enough.

you can all bet your 'bippy' that quality parts and yeoman~like workmanship in ANY player and ANY component contribute to its ultimate sonic quality. And THAT IS A GIVEN!
I don't know what a bippy is but I won't be taking the bet. Good components and heavy construction do not of themselves guarantee 'ultimate sonic quality'. Lots of equipment out there using very expensive components and battleship build sound awful.

you can all bet your 'bippy' that quality parts and yeoman~like workmanship in ANY player and ANY component contribute to its ultimate sonic quality. And THAT IS A GIVEN!
Got to disagree with you there. That's up there with believing that the more it costs the better it sounds. Those things should for sure contribute high reliability and a long life. But are no guaranty of sound quality.

I don't know what a bippy is but I won't be taking the bet. Good components and heavy construction do not of themselves guarantee 'ultimate sonic quality'. Lots of equipment out there using very expensive components and battleship build sound awful.

Bippy is ...fill in the blanks. Weight and size of course don't necessarily guarantee better sonics but to negate the entire high end audio biz as snake oil or a total waste of money is ridiculous, as well.

And I'm NOT inferring in any way that the OPPO 205 is the BEST physical disc player on the current market .... I did state UNIVERSAL player. There are of course better dedicated RBCD spinners and SACD stereo players which better the OPPOs but for BD~V and UHD4K and even 3D playback, they excel and as Multi~CH SACD players they likewise acquit themselves quite nicely.

In this age of million dollar speakers [yes, they're OUT THERE], $500K turntables and [gulp] $132K HEADPHONES ........ none of us need apply.

But I do applaud companies like OPPO who not for megabuck money did fashion a statement piece which, IMO, does better the competition in the Universal Player Market by a comfortable margin. BTW, the Reavon UBR~X 200 is based on the OPPO 103.

Last edited:
CharacterizingHighSpeedTransmitters_Agilent_Figure3.jpg

This what the signal over HDMI will look like when you evaluate the signal in the lab, its an 'eye diagram', if the two ends of the chain i.e. player and amp are in sync the amp will read the signal smack in the middle (in time) of the portion showing the gap to determine whether a 1 or 0, if it doesn't you'll get errors. Jitter is something that has been blown out of all proportion in the disreputable magazines. The equipment does clock recovery, so how good the Sync is between machines is important. The other thing is how good the error correction is, i.e. how well it functions with multiple errors in the same data 'frame'. All discs have errors, all files on USB/HDD will have errors, and there will be errors on streamed data.

The other thing to remember is us Electronic Engineers design the circuits to meet a cost point, and in large volume products it then goes to Production Engineering, and they reduce the cost. The joke is they remove bits until it stops working, then they add that bit back in!

The other thing to remember is us Electronic Engineers design the circuits to meet a cost point, and in large volume products it then goes to Production Engineering, and they reduce the cost. The joke is they remove bits until it stops working, then they add that bit back in!

I always hated the battle with Production Engineering! At least in the military equipment environment it was easier for us to play the safety critical and reliability cards and get things re-instated.

I was tempted to put 'sacrificial' circuitry in that Production Engineering would remove and felt they'd done their job - but my boss wisely pointed out that the chances were that would be the only bit they left unmolested!

Last edited:
The small 'footprint' Sony X800 series of Universal Players, IMO, are great entry level players at a very affordable price [heavily discounted, as well] but compared to the OPPO 205 which, IMO, was by far the BEST Universal Player on the market, pales in comparison on many levels. Think of it as OPPO's last hurrah ..... going out with the proverbial BANG!

It wasn't until recently that I fully understood why the Oppo 205 goes for such outrageous bucks. I always thought that it was just because it was a universal player with an excellent DAC and multichannel analog output. But now I understand that the beast is essentially a full-blown preamp as well. It's got:

- HDMI ARC
- HDMI input
- Optical input
- Coaxial input
- Three USB inputs
- Effectively two stereo outputs (balanced and unbalanced)
- Decodes all digital formats except Atmos (and the DTS equivalent)
- Can Convert stereo to DTS Neo6 6.1 and output it via the MC analog outputs
- Trigger capability

It does lack tone controls, which many seem to averse to using anyway, as well as simple trims (balance, fader.)

The Reavon UBR X200 has some of the above features too, but not all. I would say that at $1700, the Reavon X200 is well worth pursuing compared to a very expensive, used Oppo 205. (Disclosure: I have an Oppo 205.)

UDP-205-back-hr.jpg

Reavon 200.jpg

I always hated the battle with Production Engineering! At least in the military equipment environment it was easier for us to play the safety critical and reliability cards and get things re-instated.
I was tempted to put 'sacrificial' circuitry in that Production Engineering would remove and felt they'd done their job - but my boss wisely pointed out that the chances were that would be the only bit they left unmolested!
I have always worked on small volume products, in my very first job after Uni I got called into the Project Accountants office and told my board cost too much, he pointed to the military grade EEPROMs and said can you remove these they're way too expensive? (this was circa 1980, so about a third of the board cost) I said yes, he replied why haven't you then? I said because it wouldn't work then. :devilish: ......... he wasn't known for his sense of humour, very dour. He threw me out of his office! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Interesting he said it cost AUS$2,900. I bought my Oppo-205 here, with a multi-region hack in Sept. 2017 for AUS$2,468. Only regret is that I didn't buy another one as a backup while I could. :(
I hesitated too long in buying one and missed the boat when I thought I should... :rolleyes:
Already have the Cambridge 752BD and a Sony X800, so found it hard to justify...

This Reavon looks like an interesting development, will wait and see what our fellow QQr's post about it's performance.

I hesitated too long in buying one [Oppo 205] and missed the boat when I thought I should... :rolleyes:
Already have the Cambridge 752BD and a Sony X800, so found it hard to justify...

This Reavon looks like an interesting development, will wait and see what our fellow QQr's post about it's performance.
Just like in the movies, Clint Eastwood came to my rescue and that's how I got my Oppo 205. :SB

Back