Record Store Day 2023 – Any Must-Have Titles?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clement

Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
QQ Supporter
I hope this finds all you wax heads well! I recently returned to, as @edisonbaggins calls it, the dark side! I have been looking at the offerings for this year's RSD (22 April) and wonder if anyone has any recommendations or titles to which you are really looking forward. Keep Spinning, Comrades!

Here's a link to the release list:
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

So, this whole record store day stuff, I've never tried to follow it...but I'm finding some interest. Quick question, if I have interest in a title that has a limited run/pressing, how do I go about buying a copy? Does it have to be a brick/mortar store?

So, this whole record store day stuff, I've never tried to follow it...but I'm finding some interest. Quick question, if I have interest in a title that has a limited run/pressing, how do I go about buying a copy? Does it have to be a brick/mortar store?
Yup: brick/mortar store! This site gives you a finder for a store near you:
https://recordstoreday.com/Let us know if you have a close one! Peace

If you live in a major metropolitan area, you just need to plan to hit a few shops. They all order different copies of things, I find. I live in L.A., and the best concentration of shops for me last year was in Long Beach. I really wanted to get a copy of The Judybats debut album that was being released on vinyl for the first time. I probably could have called ahead to the stores and asked if any had it. Apparently only one shop bought any, and he had 5 copies that no one had interest in (except me).

Also picked up a Devo picture disc, a live release from Pete Townsend and a special edition Joni Mitchell, all at different places.

Before a bunch of people start piling on here on this thread (there’s a fair amount of anti-RSD sentiment here), the downsides are it’s a lot of hype and extremely overpriced stuff that has probably been released before. And stereo vinyl only, no multichannel anything usually.

But it’s a cool way to support the record stores and maybe pick up something interesting for your collection. A super collectible item though requires some luck and perseverance. Last year one of the bigger shops had the Taylor Swift RSD item. People were lining up around the block to get their name in a hat for a random draw to buy whatever it was. Was kind of surprising. I walked in past the line and bought my Judybats. ;)

Have fun if you participate this year!

The last couple of times I've started threads about RSD I got mostly whiners & haters whose main intent was to say how corrupted & awful it has become. So I vowed to never make another post regarding Record Store
Day.

Ooops, I did it again.
Ilook forward to hearing about everyone's adventures!! :love:

I think you can just order that stuff from Bull Moose, right?
But... doesn't that defeat the purpose of Record Store Day? And you might find more stuff than just the featured items waiting for your $$ and appreciation.

Indie retailers like Bull Moose are allowed to sell any items that didn't sell during RSD on their websites once RSD is over. You probably won't be able to score a title that there was high demand for that way, but you can usually get something that wasn't as popular.

Indie retailers like Bull Moose are allowed to sell any items that didn't sell during RSD on their websites once RSD is over. You probably won't be able to score a title that there was high demand for that way, but you can usually get something that wasn't as popular.
I've scored a number of discounted RSD titles that didn't sell from my local spot, Squeezebox, but as @privateuniverse notes, they are the releases that didn't sell on RSD. It's a gamble! Actually, I have been to three RSDs, and the real joy for me is the conversation and camaraderie in the line. And because i have arrived about four hours before the doors open, that makes for a lot of conversation and camaraderie! Keep Spinning, Comrades!

That's right, as I recall. However, (some) stores have been known to take care of some of their customers by saving titles for them. That kind of stuff happens with small businesses as they work hard to hang on to their customers

If you live in a major metropolitan area, you just need to plan to hit a few shops. They all order different copies of things, I find. I live in L.A., and the best concentration of shops for me last year was in Long Beach. I really wanted to get a copy of The Judybats debut album that was being released on vinyl for the first time. I probably could have called ahead to the stores and asked if any had it. Apparently only one shop bought any, and he had 5 copies that no one had interest in (except me).

Also picked up a Devo picture disc, a live release from Pete Townsend and a special edition Joni Mitchell, all at different places.

Before a bunch of people start piling on here on this thread (there’s a fair amount of anti-RSD sentiment here), the downsides are it’s a lot of hype and extremely overpriced stuff that has probably been released before. And stereo vinyl only, no multichannel anything usually.

But it’s a cool way to support the record stores and maybe pick up something interesting for your collection. A super collectible item though requires some luck and perseverance. Last year one of the bigger shops had the Taylor Swift RSD item. People were lining up around the block to get their name in a hat for a random draw to buy whatever it was. Was kind of surprising. I walked in past the line and bought my Judybats. ;)

Have fun if you participate this year!

Hope you got out there this year! I took my two daughters, at their request, aged 17 and 11. Hit a couple of spots in Long Beach. Lines at Fingerprints were around the block all day. Crazy, really. Standing in line for an hour to buy $40 vinyl items. But we did it too! And had a ton of fun. Got most all of my desired items, but was a bit peeved a guy behind me in line got the last U2 copy because my helper was too slow to pull all the items on my list. Also missed out on the Violent Femmes rerelease, but got Klark Kent, S. Wieland, Pixies, ELP, and Maya Clarke (had to). Passed on the T. Swift since my 11 year old said that release was “boring”. :)

Also had to restock a bunch of vinyl items that were damaged in a recent flood at my storage unit, so overall a successful day. And hopefully passed the joy onto the next generation!

Sadly there are no Record Stores within 25-30 miles of me :( and I didn't have time yesterday to take a few hours to go, so I've got to wait until 8pm on Monday then I can order from some of the bricks & mortar shops that have a website. I'm hoping to get the very under-rated (IMHO) The Groundhogs "Crosscut Saw" on LP (only ever had the cassette then CD) & Fleetwood Mac's Red vinyl 12" single of Albatross

My wife and I drove to Bowling Green Ohio yesterday to Finders Records, to partake in Record Store Day 2023. We waited in line about a half hour to get in. Wearing our Finders T shirts (you get a dollar off each purchase if you have one on). Everyone was excited to be there and most everyone left with an armload of music. Which was good for the owner, who is looking to retire soon. I hope someone steps up and keeps the store going. It has been in business since 1971 and while we have some amazing record stores in our area, Finders IMO is the best! Call me an "Old Fart" but there is nothing quite like the experience of shopping at a great record store. The scent of incense in the air, talking to total strangers about our musical
passions. It's just fun! Afterward we always go to a favorite Mexican restaurant in a town on the way home for great food and Margaritas. While there we ran into a total stranger who ironically also had on a Finders T. We struck up a conversation and proceded to talk for the next half hour about music, gear, artists and Record Store Day events. All in all a rewarding trip! I haven't spun the new vinyl yet, but looking forward to that fun experience very soon!

Attachments

• 20230423_090435.jpg
    20230423_090435.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back