RHINO QUADIO event in Los Angeles - Sept. 21, 2023 Video

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
At the high-end audio store Common Wave Hi-Fi in Los Angeles on September 21, 2023 the Rhino A&R team discuss and demo recent releases in the Quadio series of immersive 4.0 discs from the Warner Music catalog. The presentation also revealed four more additional titles arriving for orders on Oct. 13.

Meet Rhino's A&R Department, Patrick Milligan, Jason Jones, & Steve Woolard who are responsible for bringing us these classic 70s quad mixed masters, and much more.

Last edited:
At the high-end audio store Common Wave Hi-Fi in Los Angeles on September 21, 2023 the Rhino A&R team discuss and demo recent releases in Quadio series of immersive 4.0 discs from the Warner Music catalog. The presentation also revealed four more additional titles arriving for orders on Oct. 13.

Meet Rhino's A&R Department, Patrick Milligan, Jason Jones, & Steve Woolard who are responsible for bringing us these classic 70s quad mixed masters, and much more.

Thanks for posting this, @quicksrt. Great to see the Rhinos in the wild! (And great to see the pride & pleasure they take in their work, and to hear them say--although we always knew this--that they're doing what they do first and foremost because they're fans.)

Even though you already mentioned some of these points in your earlier reports (and/or Steve, in his follow-ups), I think they're worth emphasizing, by way of recap:
  • Rhino are planning to release some unissued quads (there are "a lot of them" to choose from), some Best Ofs, and possibly some brand-new quad mixes, at least one of which will be by a well-known quad mixer from back in the day who's still around;
  • They have roughly 120 WEA quad titles to choose from (so...four per quarter...that's the better part of a decade's worth of releases!--although it wasn't clear if the unissued titles are included in that total);
  • They mean to "test the limits" with some "outlier" releases (especially in the jazz category);
  • They may reissue some 5.1 mixes that were previously released on DVD-A;
  • They'll definitely be doing some Atmos Blu-Rays, with the first set of releases in February 2024 to include the Best of the Doors (Bruce Botnick has already done all of the Doors albums);
  • They're focusing on keeping these affordable & accessible.
Patrick started out the presentation by saying that the Chicago and Doobies box sets sold "tremendously well," and that the first quarterly batch of Quadios sold "really well." It'd be great to know how those assessments translate into actual numbers, especially if they're numbers that might convince UMe and Sony to take notice and follow suit. If Warners--even devotees like the Rhino A&R team--were surprised by what an audience there is for this product (something we QQers have been shouting into the wind for years!), then maybe the other big labels would be similarly surprised....

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, @quicksrt. Great to see the Rhinos in the wild! (And great to see the pride & pleasure they take in their work, and to hear them say--although we always knew this--that they're doing what they do first and foremost because they're fans.)

Even though you already mentioned some of these points in your earlier reports (and/or Steve, in his follow-ups), I think they're worth emphasizing, by way of recap:
  • Rhino are planning to release some unissued quads (there are "a lot of them" to choose from), some Best Ofs, and possibly some brand-new quad mixes, at least one of which will be by a well-known quad mixer from back in the day who's still around;
  • They have roughly 120 WEA quad titles to choose from (so...four per quarter...that's a decade's worth of releases!--although it wasn't clear if the unissued titles are included in that total);
  • They mean to "test the limits" with some "outlier" releases (especially in the jazz category);
  • They'll definitely be doing some Atmos Blu-Rays, with the first set of releases in February 2024 to include the Best of the Doors (Bruce Botnick has already done all of the Doors albums);
Patrick started out the presentation by saying that the Chicago and Doobies box sets sold "tremendously well," and that the first quarterly batch of Quadios sold "really well." It'd be great to know how those assessments translate into actual numbers, especially if they're numbers that might convince UMe and Sony to take notice and follow suit. If Warners--or even devotees like the Rhino A&R team--were surprised by what an audience there is for this product (something we QQers have been shouting into the wind for years!), then maybe the other big labels would be similarly surprised....
Thanks for the very informative video, quicksrt - much appreciated. It's encouraging to hear that the Quadio program is successful...hopefully that bodes well for its near term future at the very least. I'm excited to see what Rhino offers up as multi-channel releases, be they Quadio, 5.1, or Atmos (all are possibilities according to the video).

On a side note, it was good to see some of the folks there "feeling the music". Some might say that it was more the wine offered:), but as a music lover who doesn't take either recorded (or live) music for granted, I'd like to think it was primarily the music!

They may reissue some 5.1 mixes that were previously released on DVD-A
I wonder if they'll be able to dig up any completed/unreleased titles from this era too? There was a long list of 'upcoming' (circa-2001) WEA DVD-A titles shared here years ago that had some really interesting stuff, including Tracy Chapman's self-titled debut album and The B-52's Cosmic Thing among others.
They'll definitely be doing some Atmos Blu-Rays, with the first set of releases in February 2024 to include the Best of the Doors (Bruce Botnick has already done all of the Doors albums);
Now this really has me foaming at the mouth! if I had to name my ten must-have streaming-exclusive Atmos mixes, at least half that list would be Warner titles
(Grateful Dead's American Beauty & Europe '72, Joni Mitchell's Court & Hissing, Christine McVie's In The Meantime, Tom Petty's Wildflowers, etc). Perhaps this will be the avenue by which we finally see the rumored Steven Wilson Atmos mixes of A-Ha's Hunting High & Low and The Cars' debut album?

I am interested to know if the (June) and (October) Rhino Quadios have the upper midrange cut/treble boost that the Doobie Brothers Quadios have.

(my old Captain & Me DVD-A sounds more balanced to me than the new Rhino Quadio release)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:

• They have roughly 120 WEA quad titles to choose from (so...four per quarter...that's the better part of a decade's worth of releases!--although it wasn't clear if the unissued titles are included in that total);
Patrick started out the presentation by saying that the Chicago and Doobies box sets sold "tremendously well," and that the first quarterly batch of Quadios sold "really well." It'd be great to know how those assessments translate into actual numbers, especially if they're numbers that might convince UMe and Sony to take notice and follow suit. If Warners--even devotees like the Rhino A&R team--were surprised by what an audience there is for this product (something we QQers have been shouting into the wind for years!), then maybe the other big labels would be similarly surprised....
also, they don't have the Quad masters for ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres".. 🤷🏻‍♀️

At the high-end audio store Common Wave Hi-Fi in Los Angeles on September 21, 2023 the Rhino A&R team discuss and demo recent releases in the Quadio series of immersive 4.0 discs from the Warner Music catalog. The presentation also revealed four more additional titles arriving for orders on Oct. 13.

Would you please repost this with normalized volume ?!? With my speakers turned up to max (something I've never had to do before with my computer), I can only make out about 20% of what they're saying; and then they put music on and my speakers nearly blew me out of the room!

Would you please repost this with normalized volume ?!? With my speakers turned up to max (something I've never had to do before with my computer), I can only make out about 20% of what they're saying; and then they put music on and my speakers nearly blew me out of the room!
Well, try and keep your hand on the volume knob then and make it through the video at least once because it's not going to be up for very long at all.

I selected (auto generated) captions on the Common Wave/Rhino video - it helped.

Could be useful to capture the captions and make a transcript of this Rhino presentation (I don't know if there's software to do this though).

Kirk Bayne

Add me to the list of quaddies thanking you for posting this @quicksrt. The Rhino guys obviously see this as a labour of love so as long as the financials hold up we should be rewarded with a plethora of Quadios. It was great to hear Steve acknowledging this forum as well, when saying that we 'are great'. Not so sure I'll be buying a pair of those front Klipsch speakers though, not at $40k a pair!

Add me to the list of quaddies thanking you for posting this @quicksrt. The Rhino guys obviously see this as a labour of love
This video could also be seen as an infringement and rights violation (laugh).

It’s very trimmed down version of a two and a half hour presentation. Most all of the Q&As are cut, a few songs cut out. It’s edited to focus on the four new Quadio titles coming up. And 45min. length is pushing it. I would not be surprised if most viewers don’t watch it to the end. And I did not film all of the showing.

I’m glad fellow members have liked checking it out since not everyone could attend. Btw there are a few forum members there shown in the video. I’ll let them come forward if they like.

Last edited:
Got a double post there.

But I will add that when I played my copies of the new titles at home, they did not sound quite exactly like they did at Common Wave Hi-Fi. And I used to think my speakers were pretty good.

Last edited:
When cd's first came out I dreamed about quadraphonic cd's. Well, here they are. 40 years later! Stuff of dreams man, stuff of dreams! I loved the quadio video. The first time I listened to my Holiday Q4, I thought I had been ripped off and had received a stereo copy because on "Tin man" there is no quad- until the backing vocals come on- IN THE BACK CHANNELS. WOW! Likewise" with the back channels on "hollywood". This title is a real sleeper. Don't miss out!

WOW! Thank you for posting this video of the Rhino Quadio team. Very informative and I am heartened to hear (and see!) the obvious love and affection all three have for Quad and immersive audio and how their Quadio program looks to evolve over the coming months and years. I have NOT been this excited about recorded music since I worked in the record industry and it's the same feeling I got every Friday when I unboxed the new releases to view (and many times played in the store) for the very first time. Now, if we could just find a way to resurrect ICE Magazine then I really would be in audio nirvana...

WOW! Thank you for posting this video of the Rhino Quadio team. Very informative and I am heartened to hear (and see!) the obvious love and affection all three have for Quad and immersive audio and how their Quadio program looks to evolve over the coming months and years. I have NOT been this excited about recorded music since I worked in the record industry and it's the same feeling I got every Friday when I unboxed the new releases to view (and many times played in the store) for the very first time. Now, if we could just find a way to resurrect ICE Magazine then I really would be in audio nirvana...
In some ways, Record Collector serves a similar purpose at least in terms of its listing of upcoming releases. Pre-internet, that list was pure gold. But these days, by the time the magazine comes out, most fans already know what’s coming and have probably pre-ordered if it’s something they want.

ICE probably would have given great attention to the Quadio releases and deluxe sets, so in that regard I miss it as I felt it would often go a bit deeper than a traditional music magazine. (In fairness, there are now websites that go really deep into surround and box sets.)

A brief nostalgia trip...

http://postercentral.com/icemagazine.htm

Back