RHINO QUADIO event in Los Angeles - Sept. 21, 2023 Video

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this, @quicksrt. Great to see the Rhinos in the wild! (And great to see the pride & pleasure they take in their work, and to hear them say--although we always knew this--that they're doing what they do first and foremost because they're fans.)

Even though you already mentioned some of these points in your earlier reports (and/or Steve, in his follow-ups), I think they're worth emphasizing, by way of recap:
  • They may reissue some 5.1 mixes that were previously released on DVD-A;
Are there 5.1 Warner DVD-As that did not get reissued in Japan on SACD? I am under the impression that the really good ones (Eagles Hotel, Fleetwood Mac, and REM, etc.) have already now been reissued, and are available still.

Last edited:
Are there 5.1 Warner DVD-As that did not get reissued in Japan on SACD? I am under the impression that the really good ones (Eagles Hotel, Fleetwood Mac, and REM, etc.) have already now been reissued, and are available still.
afaik there were 10 titles in total released in 2011 in Japan on Hybrid MultiCh SACD as the "Warner Premium Sound" series, featuring previously released 5.1 WEA DVD-Audio's of;

Chicago "V",
Deep Purple "Machine Head",
Donald Fagen "The Nightfly",
Doobie Brothers "The Captain & Me",
Eagles "Hotel California",
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours",
Foreigner "4",
Linda Ronstadt "What's New",
The Doors "The Doors",
Yes "Fragile"

https://www.discogs.com/label/855575-Warner-Premium-Sound
tbh i was surprised there weren't similar Warner MultiCh SACD reissues of these..

(from top left; Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies" & "Welcome To My Nightmare", Sinatra At The Sands, Randy Newman "Little Criminals", Hootie & The Blowfish "Cracked Rear View", Miles Davis "Tutu", Carly Simon "No Secrets", Neil Young "Harvest", Grateful Dead "American Beauty" & "Workingman's Dead", Seal "Best : 1991-2004", T-Rex "Electric Warrior", Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery", Metallica "Metallica", Linkin' Park "Re-Animation", Donald Fagen "Kamakiriad")

IMG_1872.jpeg

some may not have appeared due to rights issues, i guess? it may have been that Emerson, Lake & Palmer were on Sony or Sanctuary outside of the U.S.A. by that point, or that T-Rex was on Universal in Japan, or that Sinatra was on Universal by then as well, i don't know?

Last edited:
afaik there were 10 titles in total released in 2011 in Japan on Hybrid MultiCh SACD as the "Warner Premium Sound" series, featuring previously released 5.1 WEA DVD-Audio's of;

Chicago "V",
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours",
Foreigner "4",
The Doors "The Doors",
Yes "Fragile"

tbh i was surprised there weren't similar Warner MultiCh SACD reissues of these..

(from top left; Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies" & "Welcome To My Nightmare", Sinatra At The Sands, Randy Newman "Little Criminals", Hootie & The Blowfish "Cracked Rear View", Miles Davis "Tutu", Carly Simon "No Secrets", Neil Young "Harvest", Grateful Dead "American Beauty" & "Workingman's Dead", Seal "Best : 1991-2004", T-Rex "Electric Warrior", Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery", Metallica "Metallica", Linkin' Park "Re-Animation", Donald Fagen "Kamakiriad")

View attachment 97031

some may not have appeared due to rights issues, i guess? it may have been that Emerson, Lake & Palmer were on Sony or Sanctuary outside of the U.S.A. by that point, or that T-Rex was on Universal in Japan, or that Sinatra was on Universal by then as well, i don't know?
Then there is the DVD-A originally out on Warner / Rhino (2001) from that same series, reissued on an Audio Fidelity SACD (2014) George Benson "Breezin'" with many stating that the AF reissue fixed some problem issues either with EQ or speaker polarity (channel assignment?) or both. Making the AF an obvious improvement over the original DVD-A.

Doug Sax involvement with the 5.1 remastering for AF paid off here.

benson dvd.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, the R.E.M. "Automatic For The People" DVD-A had a US, a Europe/Germany, and a Japan original issue with 5.1, then a DualDisc in the US a few years later. So that one is pretty much fully exploited.

And the Atmos mix that arrived more recently as well.

Then there is the DVD-A originally out on Warner / Rhino (2001) from that same series, reissued on an Audio Fidelity SACD (2014) George Benson "Breezin'" with many stating that the AF reissue fixed some issues either with EQ or speaker polarity (channel assignment?) or both. Making the AF an obvious improvement over the original DVD-A.

Doug Sax involvement with the 5.1 remastering for AF paid off here.

View attachment 97047
yes indeed and Audio Fidelity also reissued on Hybrid MultiCh SACDs spruced up versions of the old Warner 5.1 DVD-Audio's of America's "Homecoming" and Grover Washington, Jr.'s "Winelight" (both with the most spectacular Elliot Scheiner Surround mixes!) 🙂💘

Can anyone who was at the event in the video comment on the Quad speaker setup used for the demonstration of the Quad blu rays?

Were they setup in a square with one speaker in each corner, or more like a 5.1 rear channel setup. I was just interested in how the Rhino guys think traditional Quad speaker setup should be done.

Thanks!

Chicago "V",
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours",
Foreigner "4",
The Doors "The Doors",
Yes "Fragile"

View attachment 97031

There was also a Doobie Brother "The Captain and Me" and a Chicago "Chicago" DVD-A that never saw the light of SACD either.

Chicago "V",
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours",
Foreigner "4",
The Doors "The Doors",
Yes "Fragile"
I believe it was "LA Woman" on DVD-A and not the S/T album?

Oh you mean this percussion record, a quadrasonic surround-sound spectacular?
Well, yeah and I've yet to see snowballs flying through hell, but I like the idea and try and remain positive.

Varèse, Colgrass, Cowell, Saperstein, Oak
The New Jersey Percussion Ensemble, Raymond DesRoches – Percussion Music

Edgard Varèse - Percussion Music
Nonesuch – HQ-1291
Quadraphonic 1974
Genre: Classical

Side One: 16:34
A1 Edgard Varèse – Ionisation 5:20
A2 Michael Colgrass – Fantasy Variations Drums [Chromatic] – Joseph Passaro
11:07

Side Two: 18:15
B1 Henry Cowell – Ostinato Pianissimo
Conductor – Kenneth Hosley, Xylophone – Joseph Passaro 2:58
B2 David Saperstein – Antiphonies For Percussion 5:47
B3 Kil-Sung Oak – Amorphosis, Soprano Vocals – Danielle Moss 9:14

Composed By;
David Saperstein (tracks: B2)
Edgard Varèse (tracks: A1)
Henry Cowell (tracks: B1)
Kil-Sung Oak (tracks: B3)
Michael Colgrass (tracks: A2)

Manufactured By – Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
Mastered At – Sterling Sound
Engineered At – Elite Recordings, Inc.

Conductor – Raymond DesRoches (tracks: A1, A2, B2, B3)
Engineer, Recording Supervisor – Joanna Nickrenz, Marc J. Aubort
Ensemble – The New Jersey Percussion Ensemble
Mastered By – Robert C. Ludwig
Four Channel Discrete QuadraDisc.

Inner sleeve notes on "About This QuadraDisc" by Ivan Berger (images included)
Raymond DesRoches listed as Director on front sleeve, Conductor on rear sleeve.

View attachment 96936View attachment 96937View attachment 96938View attachment 96939
I was looking through my stacks of Quad LPs the other day and found this one. I haven't played it yet as I currently have some demodulator issues to work out.

I would bet it sounds very nice and Quad indeed.

I'm also wondering if Rhino intends to dive into any Classical titles at all... @ForagingRhino ?

I was looking through my stacks of Quad LPs the other day and found this one. I haven't played it yet as I currently have some demodulator issues to work out.

I'm also wondering if Rhino intends to dive into any Classical titles at all... @ForagingRhino ?
I have no idea what this sounds like in quad. But the work is on the difficult side, and makes the "Mingus Moves" album sound like smooth jazz. "Ionisation" has been recorded by some very respected conductors / orchestras. Hummmm

It does make me wonder as well though, if there could be a disc with this below title, and then add the one Varèse percussion piece from that album you just mentioned owning. For a more inclusive Edgard Varèse in quad release?

Edgard Varèse – Offrandes / Intégrales / Octandre / Ecuatorial - Nonesuch – NSTQ 1269-QC

1 Offrandes 8:41
2 Intégrales 10:25
3 Octandre 6:48
4 Ecuatorial 11:45

5 Ionisation 5:20 (bonus track from Percussion Music - Nonesuch – HQ-1291)

Last edited:
It does make me wonder as well though, if there could be a disc with this below title, and then add the one Varèse percussion piece from that album you just mentioned owning. For a more inclusive Edgard Varèse in quad release?

Edgard Varèse – Offrandes / Intégrales / Octandre / Ecuatorial - Nonesuch – NSTQ 1269-QC

1 Offrandes 8:41
2 Intégrales 10:25
3 Octandre 6:48
4 Ecuatorial 11:45

5 Ionisation 5:20 (bonus track from Percussion Music - Nonesuch – HQ-1291)
Also (different label--but D-V could reissue it):
https://www.discogs.com/release/112...York-Philharmonic-Ameriques-Arcana-Ionisation

Back