RHINO QUADIO event in Los Angeles - Sept. 21, 2023 Video

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All very accurate and informative. Prior to the proliferation of music/audio web sites, I was a subscriber to Record Collector especially since my focus was vinyl and two channel audio. Believe it or not, surround and immersive audio (as far as having the appropriate audio equipment) is relatively new for me. The seeds for my enthusiasm for all things surround/quad/immersive were planted many, many moons ago and only deepened with the launch of the SACD format and my subsequent subscription to Audio Fidelity. I have only just recently made the "plunge" with multiple system upgrades along with many product purchases (audio & video) and have been truly bitten by the "surround" bug! What more can I say but "down the rabbit hole I go..."

Thanks for posting this, @quicksrt. Great to see the Rhinos in the wild! (And great to see the pride & pleasure they take in their work, and to hear them say--although we always knew this--that they're doing what they do first and foremost because they're fans.)
  • They mean to "test the limits" with some "outlier" releases (especially in the jazz category);
I'm interested in this title (not sure about anyone else). Frank Zappa's favorite classical composer, in the avant-garde electronic / experimental genres.
I'd bet that this is a trip in quad!

Nonesuch was part of the Elektra family, the classical division.

Edgard Varèse – Offrandes / Intégrales / Octandre / Ecuatorial
Nonesuch – NSTQ 1269-QC
Reel-To-Reel, 7 ½ ips, Quadraphonic

1 Offrandes 8:41
2 Intégrales 10:25
3 Octandre 6:48
4 Ecuatorial 11:45

Bass Vocals – Thomas Paul
Composed By – Edgard Varèse
Conductor – Arthur Weisberg
Ensemble – Contemporary Chamber Ensemble
Mezzo-soprano Vocals – Jan DeGaetani
Includes a 4-page insert.

vareeses ft.jpg
vareeses reel.jpg
vareeses bk.jpg

Last edited:
So would I am a fan of Varese.
I have the Nonsuch quadradisc and the other one of avante garde composers. If I were home I could check the title.
But yes to this. There are some other quad Varese recordings on another label Columbia maybe.

I believe because CDs are not selling anywhere near what used to be that Rhino has worked out another way to sell music on a physical format. Another option that people like us will buy. Hopefully Sony and Universal will follow Rhino and do the same thing in the near future.

I have the Nonsuch quadradisc and the other one of avante garde composers. If I were home I could check the title.
But yes to this. There are some other quad Varese recordings on another label Columbia maybe.
Oh you mean this percussion record, a quadrasonic surround-sound spectacular?
Well, yeah and I've yet to see snowballs flying through hell, but I like the idea and try and remain positive.

Varèse, Colgrass, Cowell, Saperstein, Oak
The New Jersey Percussion Ensemble, Raymond DesRoches – Percussion Music

Edgard Varèse - Percussion Music
Nonesuch – HQ-1291
Quadraphonic 1974
Genre: Classical

Side One: 16:34
A1 Edgard Varèse – Ionisation 5:20
A2 Michael Colgrass – Fantasy Variations Drums [Chromatic] – Joseph Passaro
11:07

Side Two: 18:15
B1 Henry Cowell – Ostinato Pianissimo
Conductor – Kenneth Hosley, Xylophone – Joseph Passaro 2:58
B2 David Saperstein – Antiphonies For Percussion 5:47
B3 Kil-Sung Oak – Amorphosis, Soprano Vocals – Danielle Moss 9:14

Composed By;
David Saperstein (tracks: B2)
Edgard Varèse (tracks: A1)
Henry Cowell (tracks: B1)
Kil-Sung Oak (tracks: B3)
Michael Colgrass (tracks: A2)

Manufactured By – Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
Mastered At – Sterling Sound
Engineered At – Elite Recordings, Inc.

Conductor – Raymond DesRoches (tracks: A1, A2, B2, B3)
Engineer, Recording Supervisor – Joanna Nickrenz, Marc J. Aubort
Ensemble – The New Jersey Percussion Ensemble
Mastered By – Robert C. Ludwig
Four Channel Discrete QuadraDisc.

Inner sleeve notes on "About This QuadraDisc" by Ivan Berger (images included)
Raymond DesRoches listed as Director on front sleeve, Conductor on rear sleeve.

percussion ft.jpg
percussion lbl a.jpg
percussion lbl b.jpg
percussion bk.jpg

Last edited:
All very accurate and informative. Prior to the proliferation of music/audio web sites, I was a subscriber to Record Collector especially since my focus was vinyl and two channel audio. Believe it or not, surround and immersive audio (as far as having the appropriate audio equipment) is relatively new for me. The seeds for my enthusiasm for all things surround/quad/immersive were planted many, many moons ago and only deepened with the launch of the SACD format and my subsequent subscription to Audio Fidelity. I have only just recently made the "plunge" with multiple system upgrades along with many product purchases (audio & video) and have been truly bitten by the "surround" bug! What more can I say but "down the rabbit hole I go..."
Well, it's only a rabbit hole in that it takes some time to figure out what has been released, what format, and what the prices are on "out of print" media. Since you've been a music buff and collector for quite a while then you already know what you like best, and purchase decisions should not be that difficult. If you hot interested by seeing the SACD line expand then you are all set.

I've always seemed to find the deals on used discs. And the prices on used discs has dropped by 50% or so over the last decade. 5.1 DVD-As that were fetching $80 to $120 are now in the $40 to $60 range. And many of the rarer SACDs I bought like "Avalon" and "Boys and Girls" I was able to find copies that were listed as VG+ and priced a bit lower than average, but then arrived in NM- condition - better than expected. So disc prices were the only obstacle for me. But glad you got in on the Audio Fidelity line, amazing 4.0 and 5.1 titles there.

Strange to see the "QuadraDisc" CD-4 logo on a tape release. Clearly, they just resized and reused the vinyl sleeve art.
I have a ton of 1960s and 1970s pre-recorded stereo reels. It was pretty common to do exactly that with the cover art, though they'd usually obscure the prefix part of any visible catalog number since the prefix for the tape version was different.

ALL NONESUCH CD~4 discs [courtesy of Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography: Classical]

NONESUCH

HQ-1269 (CD4)/NSTQ-1269-QC (QR) EDGARD VARESE: Ecuatorial;
Integrales; Octandre; Offrandes (DaGaetani, Paul, Weisberg/Con-
temporary Chamber Ensemble)

HQ-1276 (CD4)/NSTQ-1276-QC (DQR) Western Wind Vocal & Instrumental
Ensemble: Early American Vocal Music/New England Anthems & Southern
Folk Hymns

HQ-1281 (CD4)/NSTQ-1281-QC (DQR) KURT WEILL: Kleine Dreigroschenmusik
(Suite from "The Threepenny Opera") DARIUS MILHAUD: Creation du monde
(Weisbarg/Contemporary Chamber Ensemble)

HQ-1283 (CD4)/NSTQ-1283-QC (DQR) GEORGE ROCHBERG: String Quartet No. 3
(Concord Quartet)

HQ-1284 (CD4)/NSTQ-1284-QC (DQR) GEORGE GERSHWIN: Piano Music
(George Gershwins Song Book; Impromptu in Two Keys; Merry
Andrew; Piano Playin Jazzbo Brown; Promenade; Rialto Ripples;
Three Preludes; Three-Quarter Blues) (Bolcom)

HQ-1286 (CD4) ORAZIO VECCHI: L'Amfiparnaso (A Madrigal Comedy)
(Westsm Wind)

HQ-1291 (CD4)/NSTQ-1291-QC (QR) Raymond DesRoches/New Jersey
Percussion Ensemble: Percussion Music (EDWARD VARESE: Ioniz-
ation. HENRY COWELL: Ostinato Pianissimo. MICHAEL COLGRASS: Fan-
tasy-Variations. DAVID SAPERSTEIN: Antiphonies for Percussion.
KIL-SUNGOAK: Amorphosis.)

HQ-1293 (CD4)/NSTQ-1293-QC (QR) GEORGE CRUMB: Makrokosmos, Vol.
1, for Piano (Burge)

HQ-1298 (CD4) Gerard Schwarz/William Bolcom: Cornet Favorites
(HERBERT L. CLARKE: From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific/Rondo
Caprice; Sounds from the Hudson/Valse Brillante; The Debutante/
Caprice Brillante; The Bride of the Waves/Polka Brillante. FRANK
SIMON: Willow Echoes. JEAN BAPTISTE ARBAN: Fantaisie & Varia-
tions on "The Carnival of Venice". VIRGIL THOMPSON: At the Beach
/Concert Wahosis.)

HQ-1301 (CD4) Gerard Schwarz A Festival Of Trumpets (New York
Trumpet Ensemble)

Both of those quadradiscs were relased as stereo CDs. However the Percussion Music contents were changed. Kil -Sung Oak was dropped and a percussion symphony by Charles Wuorinen was added. I wonder why.

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1974-06.pdf#page=16https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1976-11.pdf#page=40
Going a little OT:
I bought both the stereo and CD-4 versions of Percussion Music, given how demanding the stereo mix was for LP mastering [Audio pdf 1974-06}] I was surprised that a CD-4 version was released [Audio pdf 1976-11].

If anyone has a spectrum display, I'm interested in seeing the frequency spectrum of the CD-4 baseband (or demodulated quad) of Percussion Music.

Kirk Bayne

Strange to see the "QuadraDisc" CD-4 logo on a tape release. Clearly, they just resized and reused the vinyl sleeve art.
I can somehow just picture the Quadio logo near lower right corner of that damn cover.

I took it down after everyone had had a chance to view it that were interested. Once viewer counter dropped to "0" and no watchers at all in thread I knew the time was right. It contained full music tracks, and a pretty strong potential I was going to get a take-down notice eventually by a music rights owner/publisher.

I took it down after everyone had had a chance to view it that were interested. Once viewer counter dropped to "0" and no watchers at all in thread I knew the time was right. It contained full music tracks, and a pretty strong potential I was going to get a take-down notice eventually by a music rights owner/publisher.
I've been a watcher on the thread for several days.

I thought the sound was good, I downloaded the video instead of watching online.
I also felt the sound was fine. Dynamic and clean. I have Altec Lansing computer speakers, they’re great. Glad you found the dl selection button.

Have you heard the CD-4 LP decoded? I wonder if it is a four-cornered quad layout? Or good sound playing in stereo?

I must have but too long ago since I was demodulating quadradiscs so no recall now.
Someone should try it......

Back