RM Encoded DSOTM LP at Red Trumpet

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM stands for Regular Matrix, and is essentially "unbranded" QS quadraphonic. Unlike CBS/Sony with their SQ matrix scheme, Sansui allowed companies to use the QS system without license. The only catch was they could not call it QS unless they paid a royalty. That is why you see a lot of unbranded or rebranded quadraphonic systems, such as RM and Command Quadraphonic. These are actually QS quadraphonic.

Anyway, that is my understanding. Someone else here might have a better picture of the situation.

There was an RM quad version of both "Atom Heart Mother" and "Dark Side of the Moon" issued in Japan. The RM edition of "Atom Heart Mother" peforms wonderfully through a QS decoder. However, the RM edition of "Dark Side of the Moon" sounds horrible. It sounds almost as if they decoded the SQ tape and re-encoded it as RM. Very dissapointing... (n)

Cai Campbell said:
RM stands for Regular Matrix, and is essentially "unbranded" QS quadraphonic. Unlike CBS/Sony with their SQ matrix scheme, Sansui allowed companies to use the QS system without license. The only catch was they could not call it QS unless they paid a royalty. That is why you see a lot of unbranded or rebranded quadraphonic systems, such as RM and Command Quadraphonic. These are actually QS quadraphonic.

Anyway, that is my understanding. Someone else here might have a better picture of the situation.

My understanding was somewhat similar. As I recall, RM was the predecessor of QS - sort of QS before it was fine tuned and tweaked by Sansui.

As Cai notes, your best bet for decoding an RM encoded disc would be a QS decoder.

Cai Campbell said:
The RM edition of "Atom Heart Mother" peforms wonderfully through a QS decoder.

Hmm...does that mean it should be mentioned in the other thread about agressive QS recordings? :confused:

Back