RUSH 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to hope that this one gets done right. Everyone was so excited when Moving Pictures was announced but most were disappointed when it was released.

I thought the mix had its moments, but I actually thought I was in the minority in not thinking a ton of it. Too many punches pulled. Strangely, the mix did get better as the album wore on.

The other three mixes were an abomination. 2112, in the right hands, would be wonderful.

Hello, While I am definitely buying this disc, I'm of the camp that doesn't have much faith in RC's 5.1 mixing chops. Strictly IMO. Thanks.

That would infer that you have no hope whatsoever for 2112. Fair enough. Once burned, twice shy. 3.5 times burned...what would you say?

If it's mixed by the same guy, we've now heard....what....four of his mixes? Three of those had a level of separation and soundfield which could have been matched with an out-of-the-box/one-button upmix solution while the fourth forewent strong separation in the name of "imitating the 80's," or whatever bullshit excuse was given.

The sad part is that, while I could always just run any of those four albums through SPEC myself and get a better mix (Disclaimer: There are some good parts to "Moving Pictures" it'd be hard to truly emulate), I've attempted to do 2112 a few times and have never been happy with my results. I'd need a Steve Wilson or Eliot Schiener to truly make this shine. This Chickyi guy? No, thank you. Once bitten, twice covered by Great White. *snare*

Hello. Rush is by far my favorite band. 70+ shows, and mucho dinero invested in all things Rush! So......and this is strictly IMO!..................Rush personnel is like family- there in it for the long haul. They will stick with Chycki's mixes til the cows come home (as they do with Howard Ungerleider's cheesy lighting). Alex approves of the 5.1 mixes (and I'm sure he's heard the bulk of Wilson's PT/Solo mixes on studio-grade equipment), so if it's good enough for them, and they are hearing things the way and where they want them heard, then that's what we get. For better or worse. Rushs' 5.1 output HAS been well received at Sound And Vision. It's been hit and miss for my ears. Chycki has reported working "for monthes" on the project, so I hope for aural breakthrough. Thanks.

Last edited:
I must confess that it is not clear how sophisticated music labels are about interpreting sales. For example, rather than realizing that sales are poor due to a crappy product, I suspect that the 'conclusion' may be that 'surround just doesn't sell'. Consequently, regardless of how underwhelming the prior Rush surround discs were, I'm with the guy who made the point above to buy them all. I've ordered TaaB, will be ordering 2112, and already have the ELPs.

I must confess that it is not clear how sophisticated music labels are about interpreting sales. For example, rather than realizing that sales are poor due to a crappy product, I suspect that the 'conclusion' may be that 'surround just doesn't sell'. Consequently, regardless of how underwhelming the prior Rush surround discs were, I'm with the guy who made the point above to buy them all. I've ordered TaaB, will be ordering 2112, and already have the ELPs.

Same approach I took/am taking :)

now we know that previous print DVD-A/BD-A of "Moving Pictures" were considered by UM
as a great success. probably the following 3 DVD-A wasn't but mainly due to packing them
into costly boxes with less valuable reissue of standart CDs, which already are in collections
of band fans and unlike DVD-A, didn't offer anything fresh, previously unheard.
UM management should consider balance between real value of their offerings and asking price for them.

Hello. I'm sooooooooo ready to pull the trigger on the Pre-Order for this- STAT!, but will await more info in regards to what is contained in the SUPER DELUXE Blu-Ray versus the "regular" Blu-Ray version. I'm sure I'll see it here first sometime soon. Thanks.

Aside from the Super Deluxe, which is anybody's guess right now, I'm hopeful that the CD/DVD deluxe edition will follow a similar format to the Moving Pictures CD/DVDA set, as Amazon UK doesn't have these pre-orders up yet.. and so this will be a U.S.A. originated production, complete with a proper DVD-Audio disc as opposed to the usual lossy DTS & Dolby Digital "Audio DVD" (but really DVD-Video) offerings from the UK divisions of EMI & Universal.

either way, its all very exciting!

if Warner had any sense they'd use those "Close to the Edge" multi's they've magically 'unearthed' for Jammit and get those out on a DVD-A set in 5.1 too, pronto..!

My car doesn't care, so I'll go with Blu. That way I'll have a choice of several players. Though I suppose if there is a dvd-audio version and it's cheaper, then I will have to consider that. Bought both versions last time but have never opened the dvd-audio one.

My car doesn't care, so I'll go with Blu. That way I'll have a choice of several players. Though I suppose if there is a dvd-audio version and it's cheaper, then I will have to consider that. Bought both versions last time but have never opened the dvd-audio one.

funny, I did the opposite, I opened the DVDA as I can use that in more of my setups and left the BD still sealed.

I still maintain DVDA/CD sets are the way to go with these surround things, properly done they work for everyone.

funny, I did the opposite, I opened the DVDA as I can use that in more of my setups and left the BD still sealed.

I still maintain DVDA/CD sets are the way to go with these surround things, properly done they work for everyone.

I agree, but I am OK with either format.

However, folks with non-DVDA compatible bluray players can't get hi-res audio with a DVDA. But, if they don't have a DVDA player, they may be happy with DTS.

The only time Bluray makes more sense is if there is some HD video content, like Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning.

Hello. So, what of this DTS Master Audio on Blu-Ray discs? Is this not superior to DVD-A? Curious. Thanks.

From what I understand both MLP (lossless compression used on DVDA) and DTS Master Audio use lossless compression and support hi-res audio streams (96k/24bit for example). So, I believe they should sound exactly the same. The only difference is that a Bluray has enough bandwidth available to play HD video along with hi-res audio. A DVD is not capable of that, which is why you only ever see still pictures when listening to MLP.

Hello. So, what of this DTS Master Audio on Blu-Ray discs? Is this not superior to DVD-A? Curious. Thanks.

I don't know for sure about DTS HD MA but I'd imagine its comparable to Dolby True HD, which is essentially the same codec as the MLP Lossless encoding on Hi-Rez DVD-Audio.

Back