Bjork Lossless Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Heba do a lot of Atmos mixing? I’ve only come across her name recently as the mastering engineer decimating the dynamics of new shoegaze albums by the likes of Slowdive, but the lossy Atmos mix of course is dripping with dynamics and sounds so much better downmixed to stereo than the 24/96 official stereo release.
I suspect you're right: everything I can find on Kadry is about her career as a mastering engineer, so Þórisson (whose name, says Wikipedia, is more properly transliterated into English as "Thorisson") probably took the lead on mixing. But I believe the Atmos mix for Fossora was credited to both of them, so they must have collaborated in some meaningful way.

I posted about this in 2023 Surround Releases but figured people would want its own thread.
Last night I emailed OLI Records on a whim because...I'm like that and asked about the Bjork lossy 5.1 mixes. This is what I got in response.

:SB
Wow that's great news! I recently lost an eBay bid to the "Surrounded" boxset from 2005 for $50 on eBay when the others have listed it not less the $200 for used. You're saying those were lossy 5.1 mixes?

Wow that's great news! I recently lost an eBay bid to the "Surrounded" boxset from 2005 for $50 on eBay when the others have listed it not less the $200 for used. You're saying those were lossy 5.1 mixes?
Correct. Full-rate DTS 96/24. If I recall correctly the box was financed by two opposing major record labels, one wanted SACD, the other wanted DVD-A, and as a compromise they made the set lossy DVD.

I recently lost an eBay bid to the "Surrounded" boxset from 2005 for $50 on eBay
Only two years ago I was lucky enough to get a still sealed copy for that price from a US dealer through Amazon Marketplace, including shipping to Germany and VAT. I think I played all my future bargain chances with that purchase 😉 I have not listened to it often enough for it to be replaced already. Though if there will be another box or collection for a reasonable price, I might be tempted to buy the whole thing and not only the missing albums (if they were releases individually). Almost 20 more years of surround mixing experience might add something very worthy to listen to, in addition to the expected upgrade in encoding quality. But my fear is that this will be an expensive collectors item from the beginning.

Does anyone remember what the street price for the Surrounded box set was when it was released?

But they are also available on [...] Hybrid DVD-V with DTS 96/24 audio...
And as that they are part of the box set.

Edit: I just realized that Verspertine is plain DTS (no 96/24), despite the back cover saying otherwise. All other discs in the box are indeed 96/24.

Edit 2: I also have Volta, which was not part of the box, as it was released in 2007, and it is DTS (no 96/24) as well.

Last edited:
The mixes are being done by Bjork's in-house team (Bergur, Heb Kandry, all of the album producers) and Bjork has SEVERAL big projects being released next year, and OLI will let us know more as we get closer to the dates.

:SB You're right, @fredblue, I should REALLY start messaging more companies...
any clue on what these projects are?

NOT in surround, but worth noting that on today, Bjork’s 58th birthday, she has a new single out with Rosalia
From the announcement post yesterday:

i am so happy to announce the release of "oral" a single with Rosalia, tomorrow 21st of november

the profits will all go to stop open net pen fish farming in iceland.

this is a 25 year old song of mine i wrote and programmed inspired by a dancehall beat (the grandmother of reggaeton)

rosalia's experiments with the genre and her incredible voice made her an obvious guest for the song.

i feel blessed she said yes and she and her team are giving their work and all the profits to this battle.

i think somehow there is an elegant resonance between the fact that both of our voices are the same age on the recording.

i would like to thank sega bodega for co-producing this with me and rosalia.

we have a team of people from the biggest environmental groups in iceland with lawyers that will take on other open net pen fish farming cases, I would like to thank them all for all their hard voluntary work.

industrial salmon farming in open net pens is horrid for the environment. the farmed salmon goes through immense suffering, and it causes severe harm for our planet. this is an extraordinarily cruel way to make food.
the fight against the open net pen industry is a part of the fight for the future of the planet.

one of the most severe environmental challenge for the north this century is the acidity of the ocean. in the space of 5 years, norwegian open sea fish farming of companies MOWI and SalMar have already damaged big areas in our fjords, both marine life, animals and plants, which will attribute to that.

we can still reverse this. our legal cases on bio-diversity, cruelty to animals and more could become exemplary cases around the world.

warmthness

björk

And a pitchfork article that touches on that more:
https://pitchfork.com/news/bjork-di...laboration-oral-a-single-to-save-wild-salmon/

Back