RUSH 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand both MLP (lossless compression used on DVDA) and DTS Master Audio use lossless compression and support hi-res audio streams (96k/24bit for example). So, I believe they should sound exactly the same. The only difference is that a Bluray has enough bandwidth available to play HD video along with hi-res audio. A DVD is not capable of that, which is why you only ever see still pictures when listening to MLP.

you beat me to it! by a minute! and you've got the full SP on DTS MA and the HD video element! which I'd overlooked altogether on these Rush 5.1 things! :D

I agree, but I am OK with either format.

However, folks with non-DVDA compatible bluray players can't get hi-res audio with a DVDA. But, if they don't have a DVDA player, they may be happy with DTS.

The only time Bluray makes more sense is if there is some HD video content, like Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning.

oh yes! they can blithely enjoy the DTS.. but in time they may notice the "Advanced Resolution" bit and get curious.. and then maybe even invest in a DVD-Audio capable player.. and once they're hooked on the gorgeous-ness of Lossless surround music, they'll no doubt end up here.. and be totally hooked..!!!!

Except the 2112 rush disc will probably only have Dolby Digital probably & not DTS... given the track record on the other discs...:eek:

you're anticipating a probable Dolby Digital-only "Audio DVD" as opposed to a "DVD Audio" release of "2112", LK..?

if it were a UK Universal release that'd virtually be a given.. but we've had Moving Pictures and Southern Surroundings DVDA's from Universal U.S.A. ..so I'm keeping my hopes up at the moment, as I really want Hi-Res 5.1 DVDA for this one!

oh.. and a decent surround mix this time would be good too!! I find myself constantly asking too much of these new releases only to have those hopes continually dashed..!!

you're anticipating a probable Dolby Digital-only "Audio DVD" as opposed to a "DVD Audio" release of "2112", LK..?

if it were a UK Universal release that'd virtually be a given.. but we've had Moving Pictures and Southern Surroundings DVDA's from Universal U.S.A. ..so I'm keeping my hopes up at the moment, as I really want Hi-Res 5.1 DVDA for this one!

It will probably be a DVD-Audio disc with MLP 5.1 and 2.0, and the DVD-V layer will only have Dolby 5.1. That's exactly what all of the other releases have been like so far.

Rich Chycki talks a little more in-depth about the release here:
http://www.richardchycki.com/rush-2112-in-5-1-100-years-early-new-dream-theater-dvd/

Like the other Rush surround releases to date – Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Signals – 2112 has been remixed at a 96 khz 24 bit high resolution from the original multitrack masters in a 're-creation' direction taking advantage of the 3-dimensional soundscape of surround, rather than a complete re-interpretation of the mix. I have had quite a few questions about the technical side of the process so time depending, I'll try to get an article put together about it and get it posted here or published.

"Like the other Rush surround releases to date – Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Signals – 2112 has been remixed at a 96 khz 24 bit high resolution from the original multitrack masters in a 're-creation' direction taking advantage of the 3-dimensional soundscape of surround, rather than a complete re-interpretation of the mix. I have had quite a few questions about the technical side of the process so time depending, I'll try to get an article put together about it and get it posted here or published. "

Is that how they refer to crap nowadays? Thanks, Rich.

"Like the other Rush surround releases to date – Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Signals – 2112 has been remixed at a 96 khz 24 bit high resolution from the original multitrack masters in a 're-creation' direction taking advantage of the 3-dimensional soundscape of surround, rather than a complete re-interpretation of the mix. I have had quite a few questions about the technical side of the process so time depending, I'll try to get an article put together about it and get it posted here or published."

This picture is all weird - it's like those cartoons when they put a different head on somebody else's body.
:confused:

"Like the other Rush surround releases to date – Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Signals – 2112 has been remixed at a 96 khz 24 bit high resolution from the original multitrack masters in a 're-creation' direction taking advantage of the 3-dimensional soundscape of surround, rather than a complete re-interpretation of the mix. I have had quite a few questions about the technical side of the process so time depending, I'll try to get an article put together about it and get it posted here or published. "

Is that how they refer to crap nowadays? Thanks, Rich.

Now Now,Rich tell us how you really feel.
I do agree with you,in the right hands these could/should have been done so much better.
Signals is horrible in surround, I do not listen to that any more.
The others I can tolerate and actually I do enjoy them. If 2112 is done like them(no signals treatment please), then I will still be enjoying this new release.

peter

Helo. I revisited these over the weekend after cleaning them with L'Art Du Son. The mixes opened up a bit, enough to be pleased with them. Not Steven Wilson pleased, but certainly not anywhere near the Silverline bottom. Fidelity is great, and it's better than nothing. Thanks.

Now Now,Rich tell us how you really feel.
I do agree with you,in the right hands these could/should have been done so much better.
Signals is horrible in surround, I do not listen to that any more.
The others I can tolerate and actually I do enjoy them. If 2112 is done like them(no signals treatment please), then I will still be enjoying this new release.

peter

I actually didn't think the others were much better, with the exception of "Moving Pictures," which I think has it's strong moments. I can't remember which one it was...pretty such it was "Fly By Night," where I didn't even feel the lead vocal was centered in the soundfield, much less isolated in any way. How do you do that as a pro? I don't get it.

"Like the other Rush surround releases to date – Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Signals – 2112 has been remixed at a 96 khz 24 bit high resolution from the original multitrack masters in a 're-creation' direction taking advantage of the 3-dimensional soundscape of surround, rather than a complete re-interpretation of the mix. I have had quite a few questions about the technical side of the process so time depending, I'll try to get an article put together about it and get it posted here or published."

This picture is all weird - it's like those cartoons when they put a different head on somebody else's body.
:confused:

Is this new version of Rush 2012 being offered as a pre-order anywhere yet? I couldn't find it listed on Amazon.

Helo. I revisited these over the weekend after cleaning them with L'Art Du Son. The mixes opened up a bit, enough to be pleased with them. Not Steven Wilson pleased, but certainly not anywhere near the Silverline bottom. Fidelity is great, and it's better than nothing. Thanks.

if L'Art du Son has any active chemical ingredients it shouldn't go anywhere near your SACDs.. though I doubt it does contain anything harsh, as a fair amount of anecdotal evidence would suggest its ok to use it on SACDs.

bearing in mind some manufacturers of SACDs had to plaster stickers over their SACDs at one point re:using chemicals to clean their discs.. I'm wary of using any fluid on my SACDs.. that's before I even get started on the possible merits of L'Art du Son, etc.. but each to their own.. personally I'd put the £50 I'm not going to spend on such products towards more new discs.. but if it works for you, that's great :)

NOW It's Official... :) http://www.rush.com/just-in-time-for-december-2112-deluxe-editions-of-2112/

In time for 21/12 celebrations, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) will release deluxe editions of Rush’s landmark album 2112 that will feature 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes, Unreleased Live Tracks and the First Ever Rush Comic Book, available globally starting December 18, 2012.
There will be 3 configurations of 2112: DELUXE EDITIONS (CD/DVD and CD/Blu-Ray) and a special SUPER DELUXE EDITION (CD/Blu-Ray/Hardbound book case).
The deluxe editions contain a CD/DVD or CD/Blu-Ray material including the remastered 2112 CD with 3 live bonus tracks and a DVD or Blu-ray™ disc with a 5.1 surround sound audio mix and an interactive digital comic book, a new album cover by original album designer Hugh Syme, liner notes and unpublished photos.
The super deluxe contains the CD/Blu-Ray and is meticulously assembled in a hardbound bookcase packed with a 40-page comic book representing every song on 2112.
2112: SUPER DELUXE EDITION
2 DISC: CD + BLU-RAY version
Housed in a hardbound book with a 40 page comic book by story artist Tom Hodges (Star Wars “The Clone Wars,” The Simpson’s “Treehouse of Horrors #17″) and a 24 page book with expanded artwork, liner notes, lyrics and unreleased photos. New liner notes written by David Fricke, Rolling Stone.
2112: DELUXE EDITIONS (DVD Version and Blu-Ray Version):
2 DISC: CD + DVD AUDIO/VIDEO
2 DISC: CD + BLU-RAY
Expanded artwork, liner notes, lyrics and unreleased photos by original album designer Hugh Syme. Brand new liner notes by David Fricke, Rolling Stone.
CD – Digitally remastered plus 3 unreleased bonus live tracks:
- Overture (Northland Coliseum, Edmonton, AB – June 25, 1981)
- The Temples of Syrinx (Northland Coliseum, Edmonton, AB – June 25, 1981)
- A Passage To Bangkok (Manchester Apollo, Manchester, England – June 17, 1980)
DVD AUDIO/VIDEO AND BLU-RAY CONTAIN:
- Digital Comic Book – experience the comic book formatted for widescreen televisions during playback of the album.
- Photo Gallery – unreleased photos and handwritten lyrics by Neil Peart
DVD AUDIO/VIDEO SPECS:
-5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in PCM (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital (DVD-Video players)
- 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital Stereo (DVD-Video players)
BLU-RAY SPECS:
-5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM and DTS-HD Master Audio
- 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo
“Every album is a point in Rush’s history,” Geddy Lee said in 1978. “And if it’s not getting better, something’s wrong. Every album has to be the perfect Rush album.”
“The first record,” Alex Lifeson says about 2112, “where we sounded like Rush.”
“2112 is, more than anything, a record about being Rush: loving music, moving it forward and taking it to the world, whatever the price. And it is perfect.” – David Fricke
Originally released in 1976, Rush’s epic, landmark release 2112 was their creative and commercial breakthrough as well as one of the band’s most highly regarded releases among both fans and critics alike. With lyrics written by Neil Peart, and influenced by author Ayn Rand, 2112 kicks off with the ambitious seven-suite title track (side one), set in a futuristic world run by the “Priests of the Temples of Syrinx” who regulate “every single facet of every life,” which includes books, music, work and play. “2112” conveys the story of humanity’s instinctual, inner need for one’s free will. After the mythological journey through “2112,” side two brings you back to the present and continues with five stand-alone tracks. From hard-rocking tracks such as “A Passage to Bangkok,” “Lessons,” and a trip to into the fourth dimension with “The Twilight Zone,” to the album’s soaring conclusion, “Something For Nothing,” 2112 is the album that ushered in the next stage in their continuing evolution as artists.

Pre-ordered the Deluxe version with Blu-Ray audio on Amazon and the price has come down from what was posted earlier in this thread. It was under $29.

I pre-ordered the CD/DVD-A version to ensure car playback now. I'll nab the CD/BD combo later when the price ticks down. #completist

Back