Rush - "Presto" & "Roll The Bones" Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One additional thing: It's really sad that Rush, who had some great sounding albums, just couldn't get either the mixing or the mastering right from Presto on. I know Power Windows and Hold Your Fire have that 80's sound, but it fits the music. Their final three albums Have very little dynamics, which is a shame because I really like Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels. So, they had that thin sound for Presto and RtB, then when they started working with Kevin Shirley, they lost dynamics culminating with the ear bleeder that was the original Vapor Trails mix. It just felt like they lost a lot when they parted ways with Terry Brown.

All imo, as always.

Counterparts is up there with the best-sounding Rush recordings, to my ears.

MP
Feedback
GUP

Also get no complaints, from me.
I too like the sound of Counterparts, it's just pushed a little into the red, so I get a little fatigue. If the Caveman wouldn't have squashed the dynamics quite so much, it would be perfect for me. But, he definitely brought the balls back into the band's sound. If that makes sense.

I too like the sound of Counterparts, it's just pushed a little into the red, so I get a little fatigue. If the Caveman wouldn't have squashed the dynamics quite so much, it would be perfect for me. But, he definitely brought the balls back into the band's sound. If that makes sense.
Maybe. Need to know which mastering(s) you've heard.
I like the SACD stereo version best. Doesn't sound squashed, to my ears.
But, compression can come down to preference.

I purchased Rush Clockwork Angels LP in what seems like a couple of years ago and still haven’t opened it. I have the HDTracks version and it is very compressed. According to Discogs, the LP has scored 11, 12 and 13 in dynamic compression which isn’t bad in comparison to the CD and streaming version.

Maybe. Need to know which mastering(s) you've heard.
I like the SACD stereo version best. Doesn't sound squashed, to my ears.
But, compression can come down to preference.
I have the SACD, but haven't even listened to it, tbh. Prior to that, I have only heard the original CD and the remastered CD. And, since Kevin Shirley was involved, I am probably grouping this album in with the rest of his work.

I purchased Rush Clockwork Angels LP in what seems like a couple of years ago and still haven’t opened it. I have the HDTracks version and it is very compressed. According to Discogs, the LP has scored 11, 12 and 13 in dynamic compression which isn’t bad in comparison to the CD and streaming version.
You can't trust DR readings for vinyl rips. It's highly likely the same master was used for both digital and vinyl releases.

The thing about Clockwork Angels is that it has so much low end, which is what gave me a headache when I first heard it... You can just filter off a lot of it and it sounds better (the DR goes up quite a bit as well). That's probably what the vinyl cutter did.

I'm always happy for anyone who likes or loves any album.
For me, Snakes and CA and both muddy messes, compared to any classic album, or Moving Pictures and Counterparts, which sound "best" to me.
Snakes has around 5 songs I continue to like. Some I found to be awkward from the first listen. Bravest Face, Larger Bowl, We Hold On.
CA was kind of exciting when it came out. Full length concept album. Some nods to classic songs. Streaming on the RS website?! I was overseas on one of my combat tours. It was great to find an internet connection and listen to an hour or so of new Rush. Over time, it just hasn't persisted, for me. A few good jams. But, other than The Garden, no songs I really need to hear again.
NO Rush album benefits from exceeding single LP length.
Great point made re "NO Rush album benefits from exceeding single LP length" (same goes for most bands actually! ) I've always thought that Counterparts and Test For Echo would both had made great 38-45 min albums with 2 or 3 tracks left off, just too much filler.

I understand the reasoning in a relatively brief feature, but a sentence acknowledging the Rutsey was a member of the band in the beginning wouldn’t have taken that much time.

The piece was about Geddy's book. The coverage of "the history of Rush" was minimal. To go into detail about what is really a footnote on the overall history of the band wasn't necessary. I believe the footage with Alex and Geddy (and Rush ale) was from a previous interview.

Still brought tears to my eyes when they talked about Neil.

I understand the reasoning in a relatively brief feature, but a sentence acknowledging the Rutsey was a member of the band in the beginning wouldn’t have taken that much time.
Yeah, that was weird. It‘s like Rutsey never existed. They should have said, “After the first drummer left after their first album”, sort of statement.

Yeah, that was weird. It‘s like Rutsey never existed. They should have said, “After the first drummer left after their first album”, sort of statement.
I can appreciate what @Bill B was saying about the context of the story. And like I said originally, I understood the reasoning.

Was just expressing the wish that it hadn’t sounded like there was no prior drummer. As a writer who, among other things, used to have to write news stories and feature stories like this, I thought there was an easy solution much like you outlined.

But that would be just to satisfy me as a fan and have a bit of recognition for the benefit of Rutsey’s family if they ever saw it. Not at all the goal of the producers of the piece who probably had tons of material to piece together.

All good, though. Happy with the fact that Geddy got time on a national show like that and it was pretty well-done.

The remarkable thing is that we’re watching Rush with their own brand of beer on CBSs’ Sunday morning show. They were this obscure, under the radar band, until probably the 1980s and MTV started playing their music videos. Yeah, I also saw that their first drummer wasn’t mentioned. But probably due to time constraints and continuity, they had to tell their story to a vast audience that might not have ever heard of the group.

I originally wasn’t into them at all. Yes, I would see a few of their records in the “R” section at various record stores. For one thing, I don’t know why their music wasn’t played on the radio here in the 1970s. KSAN FM might have played a few of their songs, but there was so much going on, they got lost in the shuffle. I was more into Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Kraftwerk and Sweet in the last 70’s, amongst the tide of other bands like The Tubes, Journey and Sammy Hagar’s first two albums. Not to forget Bob Marley and the rise of Reggae music and New Wave bands. A lot going on here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It was in this context that I met up with a new found friend who was learning the Bass Guitar. All he did was play Rush records while cranking up the amp and play along with their music. Over and over again. He got really good at playing their music and would get frustrated over a bass line, until he figured it out. 1979 - 1980. I grew to appreciate them. And, along with his girlfriend, we went and saw them live. So, I’ve seen every Rush concert from about 1980 to 1991. I’d say Permanent Waves really spoke to me at the time and Moving Pictures. The thing that impressed me about the band Rush was that they were always experimenting, never afraid to add other styles of music or electronic music to whatever they had in mind. Also not afraid to reject what they were doing and try something else. Some of my favorites from then are still Power Windows and Counterparts. I also thought lyrics and emoticons were important to the music. Which, let’s face it, a lot of 80s bands were generic and dull. Perhaps it reflected the context of the times, but I didn’t like it. I better stop here.

I liked Presto and Roll the Bones and saw those tours live. I’d say those records were transitional albums going into the 1990s. As you can see, Counterparts, is a really great record no matter what type of rock music you’re into. And much different than the music they created before. Anyway, that’s just a little bit of how I experienced those times.

I don't think that Rush should carry on without Neil, but one thing I would love to see is a tribute concert for Neil with Geddy, Alex, and all of the great drummers that were influenced by Neil. Doing classic Rush songs with a different drummer on each song. Capture the video in 4K (or 8K) and get Steven Wilson to do an Atmos mix of the performance.

Back