Rush - "Presto" & "Roll The Bones" Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roll the Bones, even!!!

There's always going to be fans that love everything from an artist. There's Rush fans who listen to Presto, after all.
LOL. they are the only two Rush albums that I have a hard time wanting to listen to. They were just not heavy enough (musically) for me. However they were never on the “never listen to again” pile like TFB.
Who knows, I might check out TFB again on a whim but I might not.

LOL. they are the only two Rush albums that I have a hard time wanting to listen to. They were just not heavy enough (musically) for me. However they were never on the “never listen to again” pile like TFB.
Who knows, I might check out TFB again on a whim but I might not.
Every Rush album beyond Power Windows has tracks I usually skip. Some more than others.
I personally like around 7 or 8 songs from Presto. 3 or 4 from RtB. 8 from Counterparts. A handful from Test for Echo, and so on.
As for production, it's hit and miss for me, basically beyond Moving Pictures, and mostly miss. Counterparts sound awesome. Most other later-period Rush does not.
Yes, there are definitely Rush die-hards that love every track from every album. Cool. I used to be way more in love with some Rush material than I am now.

The production of TFB is stellar. There are a few songs I remember liking well enough. And especially some of the bonus tracks. Totally wish those were all mixed into Atmos.

Every Rush album beyond Power Windows has tracks I usually skip. Some more than others.
I personally like around 7 or 8 songs from Presto. 3 or 4 from RtB. 8 from Counterparts. A handful from Test for Echo, and so on.
As for production, it's hit and miss for me, basically beyond Moving Pictures, and mostly miss. Counterparts sound awesome. Most other later-period Rush does not.
Yes, there are definitely Rush die-hards that love every track from every album. Cool. I used to be way more in love with some Rush material than I am now.

The production of TFB is stellar. There are a few songs I remember liking well enough. And especially some of the bonus tracks. Totally wish those were all mixed into Atmos.
Show Don't Tell and Dreamline are two of Rush's top 20(?) tracks, from their objectively overall weakest albums (I haven't forgotten about you, Test For Echo). Dreamline in particular drew me to Rush when I heard it on the radio. The rest is history.

Show Don't Tell and Dreamline are two of Rush's top 20(?) tracks, from their objectively overall weakest albums (I haven't forgotten about you, Test For Echo). Dreamline in particular drew me to Rush when I heard it on the radio. The rest is history.
Dreamline is a bad-ass song. If the rest of Roll the Bones was as strong it would be a ruthlessly great album. If, and it's a big if... If, the production didn't suck.

The production of TFB is stellar. There are a few songs I remember liking well enough. And especially some of the bonus tracks. Totally wish those were all mixed into Atmos./
Snakes and Arrows? Clockwork Angels? I thought those were strong entries into the Rush canon.

Snakes and Arrows? Clockwork Angels? I thought those were strong entries into the Rush canon.
I'm always happy for anyone who likes or loves any album.
For me, Snakes and CA and both muddy messes, compared to any classic album, or Moving Pictures and Counterparts, which sound "best" to me.
Snakes has around 5 songs I continue to like. Some I found to be awkward from the first listen. Bravest Face, Larger Bowl, We Hold On.
CA was kind of exciting when it came out. Full length concept album. Some nods to classic songs. Streaming on the RS website?! I was overseas on one of my combat tours. It was great to find an internet connection and listen to an hour or so of new Rush. Over time, it just hasn't persisted, for me. A few good jams. But, other than The Garden, no songs I really need to hear again.
NO Rush album benefits from exceeding single LP length.

The only Rush (studio) albums I enjoy listening to now are the first one up to Moving Pictures. I have them all after that, including Signals in surround, but for many reasons they don't particularly do anything for me. I put this down to a move towards more congested material, less proggy/rocky songs, more 80's sounds, horrible muddy production and Geddy's voice becoming less palatable over the years. Call me old fashioned!

Last edited:
Dreamline is a bad-ass song. If the rest of Roll the Bones was as strong it would be a ruthlessly great album. If, and it's a big if... If, the production didn't suck.

There was a fan remaster going around that bumped some of the low end. The issue is that even on the official RtB remaster the low end lacks and IIRC it was because the mastering engineer actually trimmed the low end aggressively, to the point frequencies below 80hz (again, IIRC) barely exist. Believe the same engineer worked on Presto, which is also sterile sounding AF. I wonder with more guts if these albums would present better to my ears.

There was a fan remaster going around that bumped some of the low end. The issue is that even on the official RtB remaster the low end lacks and IIRC it was because the mastering engineer actually trimmed the low end aggressively, to the point frequencies below 80hz (again, IIRC) barely exist. Believe the same engineer worked on Presto, which is also sterile sounding AF. I wonder with more guts if these albums would present better to my ears.
@Stephen W Tayler worked on both, IIRC. He has stated that a complete remix is needed. The recordings have good bones, but final mixing and mastering decisions were unsympathetic to the intent (at least the intent of some involved). Or something to that effect. Not trying to speak for him.
I would LOVE a remix of both.

The issue is that even on the official RtB remaster the low end lacks and IIRC it was because the mastering engineer actually trimmed the low end aggressively, to the point frequencies below 80hz (again, IIRC) barely exist. Believe the same engineer worked on Presto, which is also sterile sounding AF.
Do you mean *mixing engineer? If the original mastering engineer had done it, well, then, no problem: it's still there on the mixes for the next mastering engineer. I think the main issue is that, for whatever reason, producer Rupert Hine wanted these albums to sound lean. @Stephen W Tayler could confirm.

https://www.discogs.com/release/5716728-Rush-Presto
I have this copy. It takes this album to a different level as Geddy's bass playing is so clear in the mix, When I listen to this version I am blown away by Mr Wienrib's talent
I love my AF SACD copy. It cranks pretty well. I can get it bumping. Just those distorted guitar parts during Available Light make my ears bleed. Like buzzsaws!!!

Do you mean *mixing engineer? If the original mastering engineer had done it, well, then, no problem: it's still there on the mixes for the next mastering engineer. I think the main issue is that, for whatever reason, producer Rupert Hine wanted these albums to sound lean. @Stephen W Tayler could confirm.
Yes, that could be the right angle of looking at it. Uusally (back then, not necessarily true today) the mixing engineer hands their mix to the mastering engineer, so in theory as you suggest there would be a non-neutered mix [pre-mastering] available. But more likely the mix itself was pruned of low end prior to the mastering process. Might have thrown the mastering engineer under the bus (common trope with the loudness wars nowadays).

I'm curious if all the original master tapes are available and we're just waiting on anniversary releases to hear these remixed. Or were they lost to that fire or time?

https://www.discogs.com/release/5716728-Rush-Presto
I have this copy. It takes this album to a different level as Geddy's bass playing is so clear in the mix, When I listen to this version I am blown away by Mr Wienrib's talent
Presto has some of Ged's best bass playing IMO. It's always sounded good to my ears.

BTW, thanks to the mod who split this into its own topic. I was about to post something about hijacking SW's topic for the better and noticed we've been rightfully shown the door.

I love Fly By Night thru Moving Pictures. I still think they were one hell of a band and there are bright points throughout the later albums. I wouldn't mind having a listen to some of that if I could find copies of those albums that weren't extreme compressed volume war hash sounding things!

That 'classic' run all saw genuine HD releases. Of course there have been novelty editions released since with appalling fidelity even for those. Making those HD editions rare or whatever that was supposed to do. I haven't found anything for any of the later albums that isn't just trounced on so hard you can't turn the volume up at all.

Back