Quadio playback issue with Pyle PT694BT AVR and Sony UBP-X800M2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for confirming no display, as I was considering returning it
Did you connect the receiver or BluRay Player to a TV so that you can see the main menu? I don't know for the quadios but all Blu Rays normally don't start automatically so you have to select from the BluRay menu first what to play. Do you have the right input selected at your receiver? Try all but make sure the disc is playing which can be seen on the OSD on the TV.

Did you connect the receiver or BluRay Player to a TV so that you can see the main menu? I don't know for the quadios but all Blu Rays normally don't start automatically so you have to select from the BluRay menu first what to play. Do you have the right input selected at your receiver? Try all but make sure the disc is playing which can be seen on the OSD on the TV.

Good that you thought of this. I didn't in my replies. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one ;)

I think he’s talking about if there’s a display on the front of the Sony UBP-X800, of which there is not. I have one and I love it but that’s the one thing I don’t like about it. Just picked up an Oppo BDP-103D and really love the front panel display on that thing.

Fully agree. Ease of use is much better on the Oppo in many ways. For example to change the Audio with the remote, on the Oppo you get a selectable pull down list. On the Sony it toggles blindly and you don't know what you have until you go back to Display. That said I'm very happy to have the Sony as a backup and for playing 4K discs.

Thank you for trying to help. The biggest issue is I am not savy on electrical components. And yes, the manual is so basic! I looked mine over and never saw SACD mentioned.
I just got off the phone with customer service, but they answered by a name other than Pyle. Being 70 and hard of hearing, trying to understand someone speaking fast, in broken english is useless. She did say it was compatible.
But IDK....I hate spending big bucks on.. with a pending $2k refurbishing of my Quad unit. Iam guessing a trip to Best Buy/Walmart and find someone in electronics to led me.
I guess the Pyle can replace Alexa for music in the garage
FYI - many receivers including all but the highest end of popular, mainstream brands such as Denon cannot play SACDs via the HDMI port. I found this out the hard way with my Denon X3600h (which retailed for $1000+ and can't play the files). Apparently there's a licensing fee associated with playing SACD files (known as DSD files) over HDMI that nobody wants to pay (well expect Sony...b/c they ARE the licensor of DSD). So check to make sure how your player is connected to your receiver. If connected via HDMI, try a different method (coaxial audio, SPDIF, etc).

I should also note that I dealt with Denon customer service on this issue with my SACDs and they were useless. They claimed my receiver should be able to play the files, but all they were doing was reading the same manual I was. The manual is written in such a way to avoid saying the receiver can't play DSD/SACD files over HDMI. This would probably be a big deal if SACDs were popular, but alas, there's only like 400 SACDs released each year. I suspect that makes it one of, if not the least popular music format still in production.

[EDIT - I didn't realize the Quads are in Hi-Res Audio....so that means optical and digital coax can't carry the signal properly. So your choices are to get a new receiver or rip the Quad tracks onto your computer in another format (preferably FLAC) which will then play flawlessly via HDMI over any receiver. This is the workaround I did for all my SACDs].

Last edited:
FYI - many receivers including all but the highest end of popular, mainstream brands such as Denon cannot play SACDs via the HDMI port. I found this out the hard way with my Denon X3600h (which retailed for $1000+ and can't play the files). Apparently there's a licensing fee associated with playing SACD files (known as DSD files) over HDMI that nobody wants to pay (well expect Sony...b/c they ARE the licensor of DSD). So check to make sure how your player is connected to your receiver. If connected via HDMI, try a different method (coaxial audio, SPDIF, etc).

I should also note that I dealt with Denon customer service on this issue with my SACDs and they were useless. They claimed my receiver should be able to play the files, but all they were doing was reading the same manual I was. The manual is written in such a way to avoid saying the receiver can't play DSD/SACD files over HDMI. This would probably be a big deal if SACDs were popular, but alas, there's only like 400 SACDs released each year. I suspect that makes it one of, if not the least popular music format still in production.

[EDIT - I didn't realize the Quads are in Hi-Res Audio....so that means optical and digital can't carry the signal properly. So your choices are to get a new receiver or rip the Quad tracks onto your computer in another format (preferably FLAC) which will then play flawlessly via HDMI over any receiver. This is the workaround I did for all my SACDs].
?

Thanks for thr
There is used stuff available.
This AVR, for example. Missing the remote, available for $14 at Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1758317958...uid=s3C5QmzBTVa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Restopgapplacement remote link:
https://a.co/d/e1gqh4Q
Thanks for the link, with free shipping, it makes it "bearable" as a temporary reciever.
Gotta be honest and say I never considered buying used, but I got 1 yr insurance for $14........so I;ll see
Also I bought this Pyle (of *hit) LOL, on closeout on Woot for around $50, so I wasn't expecting much

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO RESPONDED, Its nice to see so many "educated" people willing to help.
Does anyone know if its possible to have an HDMI input added to my Sansui QXR-9001 when I send it in for restoration, obviously I'll speak with QRXrestore when I send it in, but Iam on the waiting list (approx 6 months to send) for a full restore.

Now Iam starting to question my decision to restore.... if The Sanusi will not be able to "decode" the new SACD's
Spending $2K to restore would be foolish, IF the Sansui will not work with todays new technology,
I haven't shopped to see what $2K will buy, BUT I would think it would be better than this PYLE :)
Sorry I don;t speak or understand this new home audio tech

**Edited to add**
NO i haven't connected to my TV, as it it setup approx 20ft from the TV
I ordered a 25 ft HDMI cable, to connect it thru the ARC HDMI connection OR am I wrong about this too?

Last edited:
Thank you for trying to help. The biggest issue is I am not savy on electrical components. And yes, the manual is so basic! I looked mine over and never saw SACD mentioned.
I just got off the phone with customer service, but they answered by a name other than Pyle. Being 70 and hard of hearing, trying to understand someone speaking fast, in broken english is useless. She did say it was compatible.
But IDK....I hate spending big bucks on.. with a pending $2k refurbishing of my Quad unit. Iam guessing a trip to Best Buy/Walmart and find someone in electronics to led me.
I guess the Pyle can replace Alexa for music in the garage
https://www.accessories4less.com/

Thanks for thr

Thanks for the link, with free shipping, it makes it "bearable" as a temporary reciever.
Gotta be honest and say I never considered buying used, but I got 1 yr insurance for $14........so I;ll see
Also I bought this Pyle (of *hit) LOL, on closeout on Woot for around $50, so I wasn't expecting much

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO RESPONDED, Its nice to see so many "educated" people willing to help.
Does anyone know if its possible to have an HDMI input added to my Sansui QXR-9001 when I send it in for restoration, obviously I'll speak with QRXrestore when I send it in, but Iam on the waiting list (approx 6 months to send) for a full restore.

Now Iam starting to question my decision to restore.... if The Sanusi will not be able to "decode" the new SACD's
Spending $2K to restore would be foolish, IF the Sansui will not work with todays new technology,
I haven't shopped to see what $2K will buy, BUT I would think it would be better than this PYLE :)

**Edited to add**
I ordered a 25 ft HDMI cable, to connect it thru the ARC HDMI connection OR am I wrong about this too?
If you can return the Pyle to recap anything you spent on it, I had a similar horrid experience with them while looking for something that would take 5.1 RCA to HDMI (so I could use a 1975 Quad amp with 4 RCA out to the Pyle then out to HDMI to a modern home theater). The broken English rep said "Of course it work? I read on manual." Of course it did not work! I've heard good things about their speakers but I can only suggest to avoid electronics from that company.

[EDIT - I didn't realize the Quads are in Hi-Res Audio....so that means optical and digital can't carry the signal properly. So your choices are to get a new receiver or rip the Quad tracks onto your computer in another format (preferably FLAC) which will then play flawlessly via HDMI over any receiver. This is the workaround I did for all my SACDs].
What player are you using to play the SACD that the Denon cannot play over HDMI? I bought an old Sony Bluray player with SACD capability and on newer model receivers like my Onkyo TX-NR7100 I had to find a setting to either downgrade the signal to a 4k Standard or bump it up to 8K Enhanced (up or down one worked I forget which). Hope that helps if you can try it.

no offense, Pyle stuff is crap if you have a sony disc player, buy a sony receiver from about the same time period as the disc player and you won't have these problems.

I didn't expect much from a $50 receiver, but I "thought" a receiver in 2022 would play the newest stuff, BUT as usual I was wrong:):)

Well........after many hrs last night trying to get this Sony UBP-X800M2 to play my new Disc and trying again when I got home this morning with again no luck.
Tried replacing the new HDMI cable with an old one, even tried all 3 HDMI inputs on the reciever.....Nothing but static.
Just before throwing up my hands in defeat getting some sound, I went and got an old Kid Rock cd out of the truck and presto...tunes in the house.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????
Another thing this Sony front panel does light up?
If you haven't already, check your system settings, audio and HDMI settings. I have the same unit and it took me a little bit of time to adjust the settings. There are settings for SACD, and BD multichannel, stereo, PCM, DTS, etc. Also, check the manual for set-up advice. Once everything was set, the unit has awesome playback and it sounds great!

If you can return the Pyle to recap anything you spent on it, I had a similar horrid experience with them while looking for something that would take 5.1 RCA to HDMI (so I could use a 1975 Quad amp with 4 RCA out to the Pyle then out to HDMI to a modern home theater). The broken English rep said "Of course it work? I read on manual." Of course it did not work! I've heard good things about their speakers but I can only suggest to avoid electronics from that company.

Your experience is exactly what Ive been going thru.......I keep asking the "customer service reps" to speak slower or could you repeat that, without trying to insult anyone. It has gotten ridiculous calling about anything in todays world. Being hard of hearing doesn't help

So are you saying you made your 1975 Quad amp with todays modern home audio?
I want to restore my Sansui QRX 9001 to bring quad into todays tech, but now I wondering if I should just forget about that and just buy a new Home Theater setup.........decisions, decisons, decisions, before the heat sets in today

Iam going for a m/c ride to think things over

AFAIK, there's no DTS decoder (required for quad and stereo playback of the Rhino Quadios) in either the Sony 800 or the Pyle receiver.

One option - set the Sony to internally downmix the DTS 4.0 to Dolby Surround encoded stereo and use the Pyle (LIVE/HALL/DISCO/CHURCH/ROCK/JAZZ/CLASS) setting for fake surround sound (Dolby Surround is real surround sound, but the Pyle receiver doesn't seem to decode it).

Might needed an HDMI to analog stereo converter, such as:
"onn. HDMI to Composite AV Adapter" from Walmart ($16)

Kirk Bayne

What player are you using to play the SACD that the Denon cannot play over HDMI? I bought an old Sony Bluray player with SACD capability and on newer model receivers like my Onkyo TX-NR7100 I had to find a setting to either downgrade the signal to a 4k Standard or bump it up to 8K Enhanced (up or down one worked I forget which). Hope that helps if you can try it.
I actually tried TWO different Sony Blu Ray Players (BDP BX510 was one of them) I bought off of Ebay and and old Oppo DV-908H before I learned that DSD can't be decoded over HDMI on the Denon!

AFAIK, there's no DTS decoder (required for quad and stereo playback of the Rhino Quadios) in either the Sony 800 or the Pyle receiver.

One option - set the Sony to internally downmix the DTS 4.0 to Dolby Surround encoded stereo and use the Pyle (LIVE/HALL/DISCO/CHURCH/ROCK/JAZZ/CLASS) setting for fake surround sound (Dolby Surround is real surround sound, but the Pyle receiver doesn't seem to decode it).

Might needed an HDMI to analog stereo converter, such as:
"onn. HDMI to Composite AV Adapter" from Walmart ($16)

Kirk Bayne
The problem is I have yet to see a consumer grade 5.1 RCA to HDMI, you can find HDMI to 5.1 RCA all day long for around $100. The $16 dollar Walmart special is only 2 RCA to HDMI, not very helpful for outputting a quad receiver to a modern Pyle (or any other HDMI input receiver).

Yes, the Walmart device would only send analog stereo to a receiver/amplifier (would work for Dolby Surround encoded stereo - I use a Walmart type HDMI->stereo analog device to extract Dolby Surround encoded analog stereo from the HDMI out on my Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player)

The Pyle receiver needs an already decoded surround sound signal, it has no DTS or Dolby Digital or SACD/DSD decoder, I think the only way to get some sort of surround sound with the Pyle is to try what I mentioned in the earlier post.

Kirk Bayne

I actually tried TWO different Sony Blu Ray Players I bought off of Ebay and and old Oppo before I learned that DSD can't be decoded over HDMI on the Denon!
Can you be more specific how it doesn't work? Does that mean it won't play, it's scratchy, or does it sound like a record playing backwards? Did you say the Kid Rock CD plays ok?

I can completely agree to say I've seen shady wording in manuals that avoid how exactly a format is compatible. Seeing mention of DSD here: https://www.denon.com/en-za/shop/avreceiver/avrx3600h

And this one technically says DSD should work: https://manuals.denon.com/avrx3600h/eu/en/GFNFSYdtphpnek.php

Perhaps it's a bad player or look in the settings for audio out so it's not sending signal over RCA only, or try another HDMI input on the receiver?

Try the player on another system like the TV or take it to a friends, or if BestBuy only still had their theater rooms...

Thanks for thr

**Edited to add**
I gave up on this when we had 20 people discussing how no one could figure out or had any knowledge of anything you can buy that would allow 5.1 RCA to HDMI, or just using 4 RCA to HDMI. It turned into an Involve Audio commercial where you would have to use their device to encode the RCA 5.1 to stereo, then run the stereo into a vintage receiver but nothing covered anything to do with HDMI. In the end I had to build a speaker switch like this to share the home audio speakers between the vintage Lafayette and my Onkyo (your case Sansui, with a Denon or Pyle).
1690565682194.png

Back