Issue Playing Back Burned DVD-Audio Disc on Sony UBP-x800m2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that DVD-Audio supports 44kHz according to the Wikipedia page: DVD-Audio - Wikipedia
Unless somebody still has access to some official DVD-Audio authoring software and can prove otherwise, I think that's a mistake.

I've certainly never seen lpcm.mpl 44.1kHz 16-bit or 24-bit encoded content on any of my DVD-Audio discs.

Mind you, I've never seen lpcm.mpl 20-bit encoded content at any DVD-V or DVD-A supported sample-rate content either ;)

Unless somebody still has access to some official DVD-Audio authoring software and can prove otherwise, I think that's a mistake.

I've certainly never seen lpcm.mpl 44.1kHz 16-bit or 24-bit encoded content on any of my DVD-Audio discs. I've never seen lpcm.mpl 20-bit encoded content either ;)
Not a mistake. 16 bit is allowed.

From the discWelder manual:

5.1 Surround recordings​

5.1 Surround recordings can have sample-rates of 96, 88.2, 48, or 44.1 kHz.

Bit-depths can be 24-, 20-, or 16-bits.

PLEASE NOTE: 5.1 Surround recordings with bit-depths and sample-rates of:

24/96
20/96
24/88.2
20/88.2

require mandatory MLP encoding (see the "MLP Encoding" chapter). An MLP encoder is not included in the discWelder CHROME II program, but CHROME II can accept files encoded by an external MLP encoder, including those from Minnetonka Audio Software's SurCode MLP encoder.

I've certainly never seen lpcm.mpl 44.1kHz 16-bit or 24-bit encoded content on any of my DVD-Audio discs.

Mind you, I've never seen lpcm.mpl 20-bit encoded content at any DVD-V or DVD-A supported sample-rate content either ;)
I have seen 44.1kHz discs and 20-bit discs in the wild. 16-bit 48-kHz as well.

Marvin Gaye Best Of - 44.1kHz
A Hindustani Raga Disc Someone here mentioned - 20-bit
16-bit 48kHz - Sheila Nicholls Wake

All official DVD-A releases

I have plenty of 24/44.1 quad DVD-As, almost all being computer based SQ or QS decodes of CDs. Oppo correctly reports the sampling frequency.

So, if I've got a 24bit/44kHz album I bought for download and I wanted something physical to play, what are my options if I have a UBP-X800? A USB Stick with some flacs on it doesn't appeal to me. I could resample it to 24/48 and use lplex to burn a DVD-Video disc with LPCM audio. Someone mentioned a bluray format burned on a dvd, can anyone point me at how I would author such a disc? Anything else?
Seems like a lot of work just to change the form factor for the music. My Sony UBP-X800 has a WD 5TB drive with all of my 5.1 and quad albums at the ready. Handy to have this in the living room when all my discs (ones I have left) are in an office / mancave across the yard.

I want to say 176 is only supported for stereo. Don't remember for sure offhand. But the 5.1 formats allowed I posted previously.
There's a weird corner case that what's allowed in 4.0 is different to 5.1. It's all about staying under the max DVD bit rate.

There's a weird corner case that what's allowed in 4.0 is different to 5.1. It's all about staying under the max DVD bit rate.
Yeah. I have a chart somewhere. Generally, I have only done 5.0 or 5.1 DVDA authoring in recent times. In modern times I do Quad with empty C and LFE. Whether that affects the bit rate or not I don't know, I suspect not. Haven't looked.
I always use mlp encoding; pretty much halve's disc space compared to wav.
I've been doing this a while. But Neil is the absolute authority on DVDA authoring. AFAIK he uses Sonic, which requires an XP time machine from what I gather. But it's the most robust DVDA authoring program. Of course it must stick to the DVDA specs pretty much as far as audio. There are some crossover aspects between the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders but that's way above my pay grade. I haven't authored any DVD VIDEO_TS folders (lossy DTS/AC3) for inclusion on a DVDA disc in years, don't see the point these days.

Back