Issue Playing Back Burned DVD-Audio Disc on Sony UBP-x800m2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are Universal players. But they’re older and require an Amp that accept RCA multi-channel inputs. And, they don’t do Blu-Ray. And you have to upgrade the firmware to be able to play SACD-R or DVD-A burned discs.

Others might know about another type of Universal player, but I’m not aware of any.
I have a Denon DBT-1713UD : it is a universal player that plays Blu-ray Discs, SACD-R and DVD-A burned discs, and outputs everything over HDMI. It doesn’t do UHD unfortunately.

I have a Denon DBT-1713UD : it is a universal player that plays Blu-ray Discs, SACD-R and DVD-A burned discs, and outputs everything over HDMI. It doesn’t do UHD unfortunately.
Oppo 203/205 plays everything apart from copies of watermarked DVD-A, and also SACD-R. Oppo 103/105 ditto except won't play UHD. Oppo 93/95 can play SACD-R if it has pretty old firmware on it, the Blu Ray forum forced Oppo to forbid SACD-R. Also I believe the Oppo 93/95 ignores DVD-A watermarking, or at least early firmware did.

All the Oppos will play burned DVD-A if it is a correctly authored disc and not watermarked.

There is nothing new that will play Blu Rays and SACD-R, the Blu Ray forum licencing rules forbid SACD-R playback. Similar issues may apply to ignoring DVD-A watermarking. There is nothing any equipment manufacturer can do about these stupid rules if they want a Blu Ray playback licence.

A "Universal" player is the Reavon UBR-X200 see UBR-X200 | Reavon which has analogue outputs and plays all the formats. It doesn't say it will play SACD-R so I would expect it can't. It says it can play finalised DVD-R/RW, but whether it will play DVD-A burnt on a DVD-R or -RW is also unknown. They are not cheap so it could be an expensive mistake.
View attachment 99086

Use Manual pdf USA https://seedbucket.seedboxes.cc/api/share/BS5es7o2TFAEKIcyEn1z
View attachment 99087
Even if it won’t play DVD-As, I’m sure it could be sold for close to what it cost new.

FWIW, I tried sending family members some home movies on DVD-R discs, and neither my parents’ nor my sister’s players would play them. I replaced them with DVD+Rs and they worked fine. Yes, anecdotal evidence, but it appears that DVD-R discs may have fairly wide compatibility issues. My Oppo 105 played everything just fine, so it took a few tries to figure out WTF was going on.

I’ve never burned a DVD-A, since my authoring programs don’t offer that option (although they do allow for Music DVD, which can put about 12 hours of “uncompressed” stereo on a single layer DVD, and well over 40 hours of audio if some compression is acceptable.

I just got off the phone with Sony's highest level of customer relations. They are sending a bunch of feedback direct to Sony's engineering department. I told them sales descriptions need to be changed, that there is much documentation online stating that NOBODY can play these discs using this unit, despite them working on other units. There needs to be a firmware update to correct this. I recommend everybody else who has the time to call Sony assistance and escalate this to the highest to send these same concerns to the engineering department and demand a firmware update to correct this. I am also exchanging this defective unit in case another one works to the description, and will review on the Amazon listings so other potential buyers are aware of the incorrect descriptions.

I doubt a firmware update will happen, but the more people that give this feedback to Sony, the better the chances. Be aware that the agents have a deep trove of BS excuses for this flaw in the players, you will have to argue against it. Pirated discs (mine are not), your burner software is faulty, you burned them too quickly, try different media etc. You will have to use your debating skills to reach the top tier and achieve direct feedback to the engineering team. 😆😂

I’ve never downloaded though the player’s internet connection a new Firmware update. I don’t know if this is a good or bad idea, but I just know that with the Oppo that some updates actually took away some features, like .ISO playback. Of course there’s Foobar2000 for Windows with right software add on can play DVD-A .ISO. I have a bunch of DVD-Audio discs I bought in the 2000’s that need to be backed up. But, I’ve never had any issues with the Sony.

For my own needs, I like these Sony players, and hope Sony will continue to make units that can play DVD-A, SACD and Blu-Ray at a reasonable price.

As others have already mentioned...

Why not extract the 2-channel and 6-channel pcm.mlp files from the disc and load them onto a USB flash drive or HDD?!

Surely the Sony UBP-X800M2 can play such files....

As others have already mentioned...

Why not extract the 2-channel and 6-channel pcm.mlp files from the disc and load them onto a USB flash drive or HDD?!

Surely the Sony UBP-X800M2 can play such files....
Absolutely, good advice that I will use in the meantime while Sony addresses these issues (or doesn't). There is no reason the defect or false advertising shouldn't be corrected as well.

My 2017 Sony UBP-X800 has never played burned DVD-A and I figured that was true of ALL discs of that type. I have this notion in the back of my mind that it's because the authoring thru HD Audio Solo Ultra doesn't burn 100% to the DVD-A spec unless do certain things (end image graphic to return to Home) so at the end of playback you'll see an error code 002 because something is missing. The lack of choice in DVD-A authoring tools doesn't help.

The Oppo players play anything you put in them! Always loved this.

Having said that, the Sony player does a great job with 4K Blu Ray discs and I keep a 5TB WD drive connected with quad and 5.1 folders of most everything I have. (unlike Oppo, if you browse in the Sony the playback stops)

PS The Sony X800 has played most any burned Blu Ray test discs I tried. ;)

Looks to me like a good approach is an older Oppo that will play SACD-R and burned DVD-A, and an up to date player of some type (maybe Oppo maybe not) for UHD.
Or make an Oppo into a ChinOppo maybe like my 103. No 4K but I don't buy movies anyway and can playback from the pc for those few 4K concerts like Clapton.
Guess I could play 4K off the network function of the Oppo and bitstream to the AVR, though I have not tried it that I can remember.

So, if I've got a 24bit/44kHz album I bought for download and I wanted something physical to play, what are my options if I have a UBP-X800? A USB Stick with some flacs on it doesn't appeal to me. I could resample it to 24/48 and use lplex to burn a DVD-Video disc with LPCM audio. Someone mentioned a bluray format burned on a dvd, can anyone point me at how I would author such a disc? Anything else?

Related issue --

My Yamaha BD-A1020 universal player plays burned SACD and DVD-A discs just fine.

My Yamaha BD-A1040 universal player still plays burned DVD-A discs but not the SACDs. They must have added something that detects the SACDs in the 'upgrade'?

My jailbroke 103 will play SACD-R in .iso format via the Network function but will not play the burned discs. It plays pretty much everything, though I have not tried any high rate DSD via USB. I got the Onkyo for that, if needed. Which I have not so far.

So, if I've got a 24bit/44kHz album I bought for download and I wanted something physical to play, what are my options if I have a UBP-X800? A USB Stick with some flacs on it doesn't appeal to me. I could resample it to 24/48 and use lplex to burn a DVD-Video disc with LPCM audio. Someone mentioned a bluray format burned on a dvd, can anyone point me at how I would author such a disc? Anything else?
Not sure of the capabilities of your player, but I suspect that burning the files to a disc that will contain them is a valid experiment. I’ve done a handful of simply burning FLACs and MP3s to diac, and my Oppo plays them like they were on a USB stick.

I have a way but it involves converting to DTS. Two ways actually. Both require a DTS encoder such as the Surcode DVD DTS encoder.
You must have the Surcode DVD DTS or DTS encoder installed. Or whatever will encode wav to DTS.
Resample to 24/48
Use the encoder to encode to DTS
Open Audiomuxer and load your files and make a DVD .iso
Burn to a DVD+R disc.

Alternately keep the files at 44kHz.
Encode to CD DTS
Use whatever to burn the files to a CD. (ImgBurn/Nero)

A full blown DVD authoring program will/should accept the 24/48 DTS files or the 24/48 pcm wav files (take up more space). I used to use DVD Lab Pro. Steep learning curve.

I did not catch/don't remember if that player will play DVDA?
If it does you would need a DVDA authoring program such as discWelder or try your luck with the free authoring program DVDA Author.

The problem with all of this is it involves what is basically what is often called "abandonware" or programs no longer sold or supported though there may be other alternatives I don't know about. eac3to may convert wav to DTS, don't know never tried it.

Back